Transmission Question???

crayz_d

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys, I need some help. I am trying to find out if there is a better transmission that could be mated to my 2.0L enigne. I am talking either different gearing or a 6-speed. I searched on this and found nothing. Or is there a better engine that is an easy swap with a 6-speed tranny (I wouldn't do it though). Please help. Even if you know of a way to beef up the transmission any input is welcome just as long as it is positive. Thanks in advance.

I don't think so , the most i saw is someone rebuilding there tranny with an old 626 parts.

Google search for Tripoint engineering.
Thats the best I can tell you.

Found it, no prices though.
<a href="http://www.tripointengineering.com/">Tripoint Engineering</a>

if you email tripoint they get back to you pretty fast with prices. the last i heard the gears were $800 a piece and i think you need 3 sets so its like $2400 beans.

I called Tripoint, they said it would be faster to send an e-mail to them. I am waiting for the response.

Something in that second post confuses me, ... NC states in there we have the G25, but I thought the FAQ said we have the G15, ... did he just swap them?

We have the G15M-R tranny in the third gen Protege. If I remember correctly, he put some G25 parts in his tranny because he thought they were stronger.

However, the G25 and G15 use the same parts, just different gearing. So the tranny is not any stronger than before.

I still haven't heard from Tripoint. But I did get a response back from Quaife America. They sell racing transmissions that are universal except that you need a custom bell housing. I inquired about a 6-speed FWD gearbox that they have (you can look at them on their site). Here is the response:

"Mr. Vincent,

Thank you for your inquiry. Quaife's racing transaxles are universal units designed to fit a variety of engines by means of a custom bellhousing. These would not be a bolt-in installation and they are not intended for street use.

The most prohibitive thing would be the sheer cost as this transaxle costs in excess of $20,000. There would be considerable fabrication work involved to install it into a street car.

Regards,

Ralph H."

So that idea is out the window. I won't just swap parts into the tranny because if I do anything, I will find a way to put a 6-speed in there. Anyway this project is now on the back burner. Moving on to bigger and better things. Thanks guys.

Back