Transmission Fluid Change at 110,000 Miles? 2014 AWD CX-5

I bought a 2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Sport with 102,000 miles on it and according to the service history, the transmission fluid has never been changed. I know my vehicle has the lifetime fluid in it, so should I bother changing my fluid now that the car is reaching 110,000 miles on it? The owner's manual says nothing about changing the transmission fluid but that's only up to 60,000 miles. I'm a little worried I'll change the fluid and then something will go wrong with the transmission. If I change it, should I do a drain and fill or remove the filter too?

Even when I change the filter there’s still going to be some old trans fluid in the torque converter. My local Mazda dealership says they never open the transmission they just do a drain and fill.
Exactly. And that's fine. With a drain and fill, you get about 1/3rd of it changed out.

Plus, if you change the filter, you get even a little more out, plus you can clean the magnet. That's always a bonus.

Upvote 0
Exactly. And that's fine. With a drain and fill, you get about 1/3rd of it changed out.

Plus, if you change the filter, you get even a little more out, plus you can clean the magnet. That's always a bonus.
Is it necessary for me to do the filter with my situation

Upvote 0
I would.

I drain and fill my ATF every 30k miles, and drop the pan, change the filter, and clean the magnet every 60k.

I use Wix filters because they come with a gasket. Fel-pro makes a gasket as well.

Upvote 0
Drain-n-refill 2-3 times.
On the last time, change the filter.
That is, if you intend to keep it for a few years.

Lifetime?
Automakers mean that the fluid has no change schedule.
It lasts through the warranty period.
After that, not their concern, but yours.

Upvote 0
Drain-n-refill 2-3 times.
On the last time, change the filter.
That is, if you intend to keep it for a few years.

Lifetime?
Automakers mean that the fluid has no change schedule.
It lasts through the warranty period.
After that, not their concern, but yours.
With my situation, drain and refill at which intervals?

Upvote 0
With my situation, drain and refill at which intervals?
The fluid was drained and filled at 60,000KM.

Then, mechanic changed both the transmission strainer (fiter) and fluid on my 6 speed auto for the at 160,000km. Again at around 190,000KM. The transmission shifted so much better after both these services.

It was changed the third at 240,000KM.

At around 280,000KM, something didn't feel right. I decided to take it in for a fourth transmission service. Mechanic revealed that previous guy who worked on it didn't put the magnet back in.

I also had another drain and fill done recently, (300,000KM)

As you can imagine, the transmission shifts quite well, the internals are clean and cared for.

What I learned, and my advice to you:

Go to a transmission shop. Have them change the strainer and fluid as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
Just did the transmission fluid and filter change. 4.8 L came out when I dropped the pan. The fluid was dark black and the filter was black. The magnet was covered with some black stuff. I am at 51k miles, and the shifting is so smooth now without any hanging or rough shifts.
I am going to do the drain and refill from now on until my next fluid and filter change at 100k miles.

Upvote 0
What I learned, and my advice to you:

Go to a transmission shop. Have them change the strainer and fluid as soon as possible.
If you can change engine oil, you can change transmission fluid. It's super easy. No need to pay hundreds of dollars to a shop for something you can do yourself for $60.

Upvote 0
Just changed the filter and everything. going to do a drain and fill in 50k miles and repeat filter change in 100k miles.
Hope you’d done the ATF drain-and-fill 2X before you dropped the pan and changed the filter cartridge.

Upvote 0
Why? Wouldn't dropping the pan effectively drain out more fluid for you to change anyways?
More than a half of the ATF stays in the torque converter and you can’t drain it out even if you drop the pan. 3X ATF drain&fill gives you about ~87.5% of the fresh ATF which is also Mazda’s official procedure (3X D&F) mentioned in an AT torque converter replacement TSB for iron powder ATF contamination problem only on the 2.5L NA with CD due to excessive wearing of the lockup clutch in the TC.

2017~2024 CX-5 Chirp Noise from Automatic Transaxle on 3-4 upshift - Bulletin 05-005/23

Upvote 0
More than a half of the ATF stays in the torque converter and you can’t drain it out even if you drop the pan. 3X ATF drain&fill gives you about ~87.5% of the fresh ATF which is also Mazda’s official procedure (3X D&F) mentioned in an AT torque converter replacement TSB for iron powder ATF contamination problem only on the 2.5L NA with CD due to excessive wearing of the lockup clutch in the TC.

2017~2024 CX-5 Chirp Noise from Automatic Transaxle on 3-4 upshift - Bulletin 05-005/23

I’m not replacing my torque converter

Upvote 0
I’m not replacing my torque converter
No, you don’t. But the 3X ATF drain&fill mentioned in the TSB is Mazda’s official way to replace the most ATF in its AT transmission.

Like I said earlier, you can only drain less than a half of the ATF from the drain plug (about ~3.75 quarts out of 8.2 quarts total capacity on your 2014 CX-5), and a bit more (~4.5 quarts) if you drop the pan. If you did only one ATF drain or even drop the pan, you still have a half of the old ATF mixed in your transmission.

Upvote 0
No, you don’t. But the 3X ATF drain&fill mentioned in the TSB is Mazda’s official way to replace the most ATF in its AT transmission.

Like I said earlier, you can only drain less than a half of the ATF from the drain plug (about ~3.75 quarts out of 8.2 quarts total capacity on your 2014 CX-5), and a bit more (~4.5 quarts) if you drop the pan. If you did only one ATF drain or even drop the pan, you still have a half of the old ATF mixed in your transmission.
there was not much metal contamination in the fluid when I changed it. my transmission was not having problems before hand.

Upvote 0
Here is Mazda’s official ATF replacement instruction for contaminated ATF AFTER the transmission has been installed with new torque converter:

6. Replace the automatic transaxle fluid (ATF) with new ATF according to the instructions on MGSS.
NOTE: Replace the ATF drain plug gasket after the last refill (3rd time) in step 9.

NOTE: For 2023-2024 Mazda3 and CX-30 and 2024 CX-5, ATF A7 is used. Verify according to the designation on the A/T dipstick.

7. Perform Initial Learning according to the instructions on MGSS.

8. Drive the vehicle at 20 mph for 3 minutes to agitate the ATF in the torque converter, oil passage, and differential chamber that does not come out of the oil pan drain to evenly mix old and new ATF.
• If actual driving is difficult, perform the drive with the vehicle lifted up on a 2-post lift and drive at 20 mph for 3 minutes.
NOTE: In the case of a 4WD vehicle, warning lights may turn on when the vehicle is lifted up and driven, but this is not a malfunction. The fault code can be cleared after completing the work.
Approximate time: 10 minutes for initial learning (step 7) and 3 minutes for actual driving (step 8).

9. Repeat from step 6 to step 8 two more times.

NOTE:
• ATF replacement is performed 3 times in total for step 6.
• Initial Learning is performed 4 times in total for step 5 and 7 combined.
• Make sure to dispose of/recycle the used fluid in accordance with federal and local guidelines.

Upvote 0
Back