Tranny Slipping

My auto tranny slips misfires all the time. its REALLY noticable after i drive for 15 minute.

i changed the tranny oil and added in 'lucas transmission fix' got a bit better, but its back to the way it was. any ideas?

well since you say it misfires, did you happen to change the tranny spark plugs ?

I see a new torque converter in your future.

Your tranny works at the start because the fluid is cold and less viscous. When it heats up, it gets thinner, and the vanes in the torque converter are able to move through it more easily, so the "torque" is not "converted."
As Kpabap said, you need a new TC.

KpaBap said:
well since you say it misfires, did you happen to change the tranny spark plugs ?

just got a good laugh out of this......i already got spoken to once in my training class about surfing the web. on a break now or it would have been twice.....

KpaBap said:

tranny has spark plugs????

how much would a torque converter cost (just the part, labour i think i can get for free)?

THANKS!

BTW is there a special tranny oil that stays thick?

friggggggg...

my car was hydroplaning ALL DAY today... hydroplaned out of no where on a turn.. i was like err ....

I ended having to drive with the music off, to listen to tire noise and other misc noises.

Well the "tranny fix" pretty much thickens your trany fluid, it's a temporary fix. Eventually the bonding agent breaks down, and you're left with tranny fluid that is thin again, but with a bunch of crap in it. :)

A torque converter by itself you can get for a couple hundred, not bad.
Look for a low-mileage auto in a junkyard, go to the dealer (most expensive but easiest) for an original, or just search aftermarket. If it's a 91, you can get one from your local parts store for hella cheaper.
For example:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...REGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP|~TORQUE+CONVERTER+-+A/T

Latest posts

Back