Trading in P5 for MSP??

rjs_protege5

:
Mazda, Protege5, 2002
Sup guys, as you know, i'm thinking about trading in my P5 for an MSP..

The P5 is an automatic and i've been having too many problems with it one after another, just recently, i ****** up the tranny somehow.. lol Now, i want to get another car, i want to stay in the mazda family, and something that is affordable for me.. The automatic transmission is getting boring, and i want something with a little more spunk.... I want a 5 speed, and the MSP looked very appealing to the eyes... :D

I test drove an MSP yesterday, and im in love.. For the longest time, i've had my eye on getting one.. so i think that im gonna go for it..

Is it a good idea???

Also.. I wanted to ask you guys if a few things will fit the MSP from the P5..

-5Zigen Proracer GN+
-Offset = +48mm
-Lug Pattern = 5x114.3 or 5x100
-Carbon Fiber Hood, will it fit perfectly? or will i have fitment issues?

That's pretty much it for now..

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ANY INPUT!!!

Peace,
RJ

Yeah all that stuff will fit. I'm now wishing I would have done this as well. I love my P5, but it'd be a lot easier to mod something that started turbod. F IT, I just need to get mine working... hehe, no more thread hijacking.

Do it! What color is the MSP?

The one i test drove was yellow.. :D But im open to any color, preferably im looking for a spicy orange or a laser blue..

I was about to come into this thread and tell you that you were crazy for considering the trade, but since your car is an autotragic... go for it.

Then convert the MSP into a Protege5-T (cut off the rear half and put the Protege5 rear on :) :) :) )

Do what you want, but try to get as much information as you can (good or bad) about the car before making a final rash decision..

Nice choice ... i love the MSP ... I'm going to keep this car for a long time coming ... so unique ...

MSP has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Too many problems, if it wasn't one thing, it was a new problem. I tried to love the thing but it keeps pissing on me. ....Its currently pissing mobile1 all over my driveway..

MSPRCRX44 said:
the rims will fit for sure. check this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123648565.

daedalus also had these rims on his banana. good luck with the purchase.

For the longest time, i've had my eyes on the Pro GN's.. and then i finally saw them on a yellow protege, daedalus.. and that was what really locked me into getting them for sure... When i saw your wheels, i said to myself, "gosh those look familiar.. The only person that i could remember having those wheels were daedalus..." until u posted that link.. LMAO! cool!!

thanks!! so i should trade in my P5 for a MSP??? I'm trading in my car so that i wouldnt have so many problems with a vehicle anymore.. will the MSP be worse???

Thanks!

If you're going to keep the power stock, I'd say go for it. The MSPs are awesome to drive in stock form, and that's what I think is great about them. If you want to up the boost/mod it power wise, I'd say pick a different car. The MSPs are great handling cars, and they can hold together in stock form most of the time, but they are pretty unreliable. If you can afford an MSP you could probably afford like an 02 WRX, which is what I'd go with if I were you. It'll be faster stock for stock, there's more parts out there, and it'll be infinitely more reliable as long as you don't launch it. Just make sure you buy it from someone who hasn't drag raced it and has taken care of it. I went MSP->STi and I couldn't be happier, not just for the speed, but for the fact that I've tracked on road courses a ton and haven't had to do anything other than change the oil every 3k miles.

Also, you mentioned it be easier to start with a car that's turbo'd as opposed to turbocharging one. The problem with the MSP is that it isn't really engineered as a "turbo car" like the WRX/Evo/SRT-4/etc, so it's just a protege with a turbo kit slapped on it. You can really tell the difference between a car that's designed with a turbo in mind, and one where the turbo was just thrown on. Just look at the reliability issues people with all makes/models of cars have when they turbo a car that wasn't turbo to begin with. Most of the time if you look past any big numbers you'll find a car that doesn't run right half the time. Of course, getting stuff to run right is part of the fun for some people, so to each his own. I just wanna drive :).

Of course, this is just my opinion so get whatever makes you happy, and good luck with your decision :).

brianmcd said:
If you're going to keep the power stock, I'd say go for it. The MSPs are awesome to drive in stock form, and that's what I think is great about them. If you want to up the boost/mod it power wise, I'd say pick a different car. The MSPs are great handling cars, and they can hold together in stock form most of the time, but they are pretty unreliable. If you can afford an MSP you could probably afford like an 02 WRX, which is what I'd go with if I were you. It'll be faster stock for stock, there's more parts out there, and it'll be infinitely more reliable as long as you don't launch it. Just make sure you buy it from someone who hasn't drag raced it and has taken care of it. I went MSP->STi and I couldn't be happier, not just for the speed, but for the fact that I've tracked on road courses a ton and haven't had to do anything other than change the oil every 3k miles.

Also, you mentioned it be easier to start with a car that's turbo'd as opposed to turbocharging one. The problem with the MSP is that it isn't really engineered as a "turbo car" like the WRX/Evo/SRT-4/etc, so it's just a protege with a turbo kit slapped on it. You can really tell the difference between a car that's designed with a turbo in mind, and one where the turbo was just thrown on. Just look at the reliability issues people with all makes/models of cars have when they turbo a car that wasn't turbo to begin with. Most of the time if you look past any big numbers you'll find a car that doesn't run right half the time. Of course, getting stuff to run right is part of the fun for some people, so to each his own. I just wanna drive :).

Of course, this is just my opinion so get whatever makes you happy, and good luck with your decision :).

Insurance is gonna kill you with an subaru though, from what i've seen.

Back