Towing with the 5

2003proes

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
I have been toying with the idea of putting the tow bar on the 5 to pull my atv and jetski...at different times of course. I have read that the 5 is not supposed to pull anything really, but it can pull up to like 1200 lbs. I was wondering if I should invest in a universal transmission cooler? I have an '07 Touring still under warranty. The wife has a Tribute, and we have put the tow bar on that too, but it would be nice to be able to hook either up to the toys.

Thought about this for a while too. Also just to be able to have a hitch-type bike rack. Nothing too serious like you say. What PWC do you have? I'm basically inheriting my parents ol' '96 XP (800) and '99 GTX Limited. But the combined weight of the two with trailer is probably around 1600lb with fuel, so either the 5 goes or I buy a different vehicle. Hmmmm.

As for the transmission cooler I'd say it depends on how close to the towing capacity - if you call it that - you will get with your trailers. I'd be tempted too.

We have an 1100cc 3 seater yamaha waverunner. Battery is currently dead and it needs to be towed from it's old home which is about an hour from my house. It's a bit old, but I guess it works until I get a boat! For now, guess I'll be using the Tribute to tow with.

I'm guessing that 1100 is at least 700-800lbs dry. Add trailer and fluids/fuel and your at the limit. Although if you are just towing it a few miles locally I would probably go ahead to be honest. But any trips are probably not a good idea given the need to pass and drive highway speeds uphill.

I pull a 15' jon boat no problem. I've also pulled a Casita camper. That was a bit heavy but the car is still in one piece.

I've towed a small 4x8 trailer filled with lumber a few blocks wtih out any problems, but would like to tow further and with lights. How did you guy's hook up lights? I know on Ebay there is a plug and play wiring harness http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270407746852for '06-'07's but doesn't list one for and '09, wondering if it's becasue of teh LED tail lights. Any how this is the trailer we wan to tow http://www.stirlingpowerproducts.com/pdf/C4i.pdf for camping, weekends away etc...

That is a brilliant little trailer Bennett. Having one of those means you could actually fill your 5 with people. I have a feeling if I keep my 5 I'll either be getting something like that or doing a pod on top. My wife doesn't pack light. :)

Thanks, they are pretty neat. the company I work for makes them. I havent seen anything like them and there is not much else out there except car toppers. Just the trick for a week of car camping with the kids when you have to pack a few coolers and all the other stuff needed for camping. Not cheap but can also be loaded down for yard work, moving stuff etc...can take 1000 lbs so works for 90% of what I need to haul.

Last edited:
I dont know if this helps but I towed my waverunner with a 96 jetta 2.0l and it did pretty good, even loaded with people. It did slow a bit on the hills when loaded with the machine and four guys up large hills but other than that I was impressed! Since the 5 makes more power and is not much heavier I would say go for it!

Also there is a guy around here that tows his full size utility quad with a smart car! I dont know if I would recommend that though, but the main thing is to drive with common sense and be aware its back there

Go to the "5 How To" section to see how the trailer hitch and wiring are done on the 5.

As you can see from the picture, I pulled a few loads of sand and gravel with my Mazda5.

Attachments

• IMG_4085.jpg
    IMG_4085.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 206
Im towing a 1650kg caravan with my diesel 110ps/310nm MT 6speed, and its no problem.
But the petrol models must also tow 1600kg in europe, but how the AT is handling it will be a guess you cant buy the AT models in denmark or germany.
This is a complete towbar kit
http://cgi.ebay.de/Mazda-5-Anhaenge...ZViewItemQQptZAutozubehör?hash=item29fec11507

I was thinking that's a very light 'Dodge" Caravan then I remember that a caravan in Europe is a Camper trailer or something like that! hahaha

Camper trailer but not so small at all, 2,5x6,2meter inside 8m total.

Attachments

• mobilfoto 030.JPG
    mobilfoto 030.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 191
  • mobilfoto 021.JPG
    mobilfoto 021.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 198
Back