totalled my 6 this morning

wow man, that really sucks about your house and everything else. hope it all gets better.

Talk about bad luck. But atleast everyone is ok. And that wreckage looks bad, makes me sad to look at the poor 6 in such a state.

I assume you had A/T since you didn't mention down shifting (hate brakes.) None-the-less, I had my first accident about one week after I bought my first car. (some 46 years ago!)

Where I felt the other guy was at fault as he pulled out in front of me, I was still driving too fast for conditions on solid ice.

Bummer! Glad to hear you are OK. Having handled car accidents for over 20+ years I have come to believe that speed kills and causes all sorts of suffering in this world. That said, I do enjoy putting a car through it's paces, just choose where & when.

Good luck on your next ride.

...but seriously. the geico bastards wouldnt let me get my AEM intake outta the car. so if someone seriously wants a stock airbox and is in a socal area come and get it. otherwise, its a pleasant memory of my baby.

What do you mean they wouldn't let you get your intake? They have to, it's an owner upgrade. Otherwise they have to pay you for it above what they are paying out on the car.

Bummer!

I assume you had A/T since you didn't mention down shifting (hate brakes.) None-the-less, I had my first accident about one week after I bought my first car. (some 46 years ago!)

Where I felt the other guy was at fault as he pulled out in front of me, I was still driving too fast for conditions on solid ice.

Glad to hear you are OK. Having handled car accidents for over 20+ years I have come to believe that speed kills and causes all sorts of suffering in this world. That said, I do enjoy putting a car through it's paces, just choose where & when.

(beer)

Bummer! Glad to hear you are OK. Having handled car accidents for over 20+ years I have come to believe that speed kills and causes all sorts of suffering in this world. That said, I do enjoy putting a car through it's paces, just choose where & when.

What do you mean they wouldn't let you get your intake? They have to, it's an owner upgrade. Otherwise they have to pay you for it above what they are paying out on the car.

Nah they cant let you take out anything. EVERYTHING is considered evidence of the crash and they dont want you tampering with anything after the accident(my brother totalled his car and had to forfeit his two 12" subs that were in the car). The fact they gave him more than the blue book value of his car shows they may have taken that into consideration. The same thing happened with my brothers 'teg. They gave him like 4000 more than the car was worth, probably because they saw that he had put some money into it.

my mom did get more then what we paid for the car we paid 18k flat, and my mom got 18.9k back

and with that money, she bought a 2007 acura RDX

sh-awd ftw?

OMFG

DSCI0742.jpg

That is insane!

your mom got an extra 900 more off the blue book? That's kinda sucky......... I say that because when I think about it, if that were my situation, I can make about 900 or a little more each week. so that would kind of suck they did that.

But hey nice to know she got a new car, and got rid of the sienna.......... you should look into getting a used Mazda6 if you really liked that car, doesn't have to be newer, try looking for a 2003 or 2004 at least....

Sorry to hear about your house and glad to know it wasn't a total loss. You should have your aunt look into getting your cousin some help with his Autism, cause he should not have NOT told her about the fire and then told her that it WASN'T smoke she smelled.......... that's just messed up.

your mom got an extra 900 more off the blue book? That's kinda sucky......... I say that because when I think about it, if that were my situation, I can make about 900 or a little more each week. so that would kind of suck they did that.

But hey nice to know she got a new car, and got rid of the sienna.......... you should look into getting a used Mazda6 if you really liked that car, doesn't have to be newer, try looking for a 2003 or 2004 at least....

Sorry to hear about your house and glad to know it wasn't a total loss. You should have your aunt look into getting your cousin some help with his Autism, cause he should not have NOT told her about the fire and then told her that it WASN'T smoke she smelled.......... that's just messed up.

yeah well there back in the philippines, and away from me lol and thats alll that matters
as much as i loved my 6

im enjoying my 02.5 p5

i honestly think ill be driving mazdas for a verrry long time...

And FWIW, it doesn't appear that AWD would have helped you at all in this situation. AWD only helps with acceleration...not braking.

#1) glad you are OK.

#2) Isn't this where stability control would've helped? They say it's the most important safety feature since antilock brakes.

I know once when it just started raining, I was starting from a stop, making a right, and I hit the gas pretty hard to get going. I felt the rear end "kick in" and ordinarily the rear probably would've slid out from under me, but with the DSC working, the rear end stayed right where it should be and I was easily able to recover the car. Actually, there wasn't any real "recovery" needed. It just went where it was supposed to go.

So AWD, I think you're right. No difference. However, DSC probably would've helped in this situation.

Then again, it sounds like something was wrong with the car if it started shuddering the moment you hit the brake. Did they check it for defects?

nope the cops said they only check the car, if theres a fatality.

if i had been on the freeway, traveling at the same speed, would it have been my fault?

when it comes down to it, i was going to fast. thats it. i learned from that experience. since ive had my new car, ive hit 60 maybe 6 times. i travel b/w 40-50 mph everywhere (depending on speed limit)

My car, stock will run high 14 seconds on the quarter mile drag strip at about 100 miles an hour. Meaning that I would need to travel with the pedal on the floor for about 14 seconds before I hit speeds at which I had no control over the car.

Ack!! I don't think I'd *ever* mention the words "drag strip" when composing a letter for the insurance company! Just the fact that you're mentioning "running high 14 seconds on the 1/4 mile" is enough to put the idea in the adjuster's head that you "dig speed." (burnout)

god damn dude... good thing you're ok. alright i had a s*** accident back a couple years ago when i was 17... and just recently... thank goodness for seat belts i guess
sucks about your car and house, etc. but hey you still have a p5 and you're alive and that idiot kid is on the other side of the world

may have been said before but if you live to type about it, its a good day. but good to see you're ok

Ack!! I don't think I'd *ever* mention the words "drag strip" when composing a letter for the insurance company! Just the fact that you're mentioning "running high 14 seconds on the 1/4 mile" is enough to put the idea in the adjuster's head that you "dig speed." (burnout)
x100

I'll start out by saying it's good that you're ok, but you've said MANY things in this thread that make me believe you have some misconceptions about driving. And don't take this as some old guy giving you a lecture, I'm a young guy too and up until a couple years ago was into street racing and all that stuff.

so theres no way i could have gotten up to obnoxious speeds that would be passed normal street/freeway speeds, because there just isnt room to do so.

im not quite fully sure how this happened being that i wasnt driving above 60, and even if i was this still shouldnt have happened. 60 i s normal freeway speed, what if this happened on the freeway?

fast to me, isnt freeway speeds. fast is like 80-90 miles an hour. this would have happened if i was on the freeway. so basically. it was inevitable.

Over and over you talk about freeway speeds. YOU WERE NOT ON THE FREEWAY. Freeways have higher speed limits because they are designed to. They have less ups and downs, and curves that are not as sharp as normal roads.

You seem to have it in your head that you cannot crash as long as you do not exceed 60 MPH. You constantly say this magic number and "I wasn't going above 60, therefore I had control of the car".

apparently the cops concluded that it was my fault without even talking to me. just because im 17 and a male. its automatically my fault. im not blaming them, i just wished they would have contacted me somehow

It was a single vehicle accident, who's fault could it possibly be if not yours!?!?!? The curb, the ditch?

55-60 is a speed that anyone can handle a car at.

Again this magic number of 60 at which nobody can crash. You have to base your speed on the conditions and the type of road. There is no specific number that "anyone can handle a car at".

Meaning that I would need to travel with the pedal on the floor for about 14 seconds before I hit speeds at which I had no control over the car.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, it's not like as soon as you hit 100 MPH you no longer have control of the car.

It constantly seems as if you think driving is based on numbers. Anything under 60 is ok all the time, anything over 100 is unreasonable all the time.

As I was coming over the hill, there is a left curve, nothing a modern car cant handle.

Your fancy new car does not defy the laws of physics. Yes it handles better than an old car, but how could you possibly type this sentence? Obviously the car COULDN'T handle it, since you crashed.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you seem to have a ridiculous concept of driving a car, and I worry you won't be here to post next time.

^ like i said before i learned my lesson =) its a shame it was a 20k lesson tho...

anyway we moved back into the house recently. its pretty much almost done, just minor stuff now. my mom redid the kitchen, with new cabinets and countertops. everywhere that that was carpeted downstairs is now hardwood floors.

the garage floor has been epoxied, and the driveway has that special coating on it as well. so i know have a nice big area to do my detailing work, and my own area to do work on my car.

Back