totalled my 6 this morning

NCZ13

i was on my way to AP testing this morning.

morning started off good, and i was ready to start the day. im driving down the road, and im in the left lane on a two lane road. note that i started from a stoplight, and in between the two stoplights, is less then a quarter mile. so theres no way i could have gotten up to obnoxious speeds that would be passed normal street/freeway speeds, because there just isnt room to do so. so im cruising on the hill going up, and i come around the bend which is when the hill declines, and theres a middle concrete planter divider thing on the left side. the traffic light was uphead, and i start to brake. the minute my food touches the brake pedal, my steering wheel goes crazy. shaking left to right. i feel the car drift to towards the center divider, so i turn the wheel away, this i guess overcorrected and i lose all traction. my car, now horizontal on the road goes from the left lane to the right lane (luckily noone was around) up the curb, into the embankment, and proceeds to roll over 2-3 times.

i was wearing my seatbelt, and thankfully that saved me. the driver airbad deployed, the passenger side curtain deployed, however, the driver side curtain did not. but im not sure if my side airbag did either. my car landed on its side, and i was fine. i think my dad, who passed 7 months ago on this day was watching over me. theres no way someone who rolls a car 3 times gets out with minor cuts from glass, and a bruised shoulder from a seat belt.

i wasnt knocked out, and i was completely coherent the whole time, well aware of what had happened. all i could think about was wow my moms gonna be pissed as i was rolling.thankfully people had shown up, were talking to me, asking me questions and what not. after words, as i was sitting there waiting for the paramedics, i looked around the car wondering if this was fixable (coulda been a fun project =P) that dream was busted when the firemen told me theyd have to cut the roof of my car off to get to me. bust. nothing like the sound of your car being pwned by the jaws of life.

thankfully im ok. im not quite fully sure how this happened being that i wasnt driving above 60, and even if i was this still shouldnt have happened. 60 i s normal freeway speed, what if this happened on the freeway? it was the scariest thing of my life. i do know that w/e car i get next in the future will be AWD. if i had AWD this would have never happened.

so RIP 06 mazda 6. it was fun.

thats what i was thinking.

either a wrx or a legacy

used for sure

apparently the cops concluded that it was my fault without even talking to me. just because im 17 and a male. its automatically my fault. im not blaming them, i just wished they would have contacted me somehow

Am I missing something? Was the ground covered in water/oil/snow? or was this a mechanical failure?

Glad to hear you are ok. Cars are replaceable, you are not.

And FWIW, it doesn't appear that AWD would have helped you at all in this situation. AWD only helps with acceleration...not braking. If this was a road-conditions type of accident consider getting a better set of tires more appropriate for the weather you were driving in. But do not make the mistake of thinking that AWD would have prevented this accident.

Last edited:
NCZ13 said:
apparently the cops concluded that it was my fault without even talking to me. just because im 17 and a male. its automatically my fault. im not blaming them, i just wished they would have contacted me somehow
Who else's fault would it have been? There were no other drivers involved so therefore it is your fault. There is no such thing as a no-fault accident unfortuately. Even if the accident is caused by mechanical failure it is still your fault as far as the police and insurance company is concerned.

yeah your right
i live in cali so the conditions were fine

the sheriff came by and talked to me, and he basically said that im at fault car failure or not. he thinks that my brakes locked up because i was going 'fast'. fast to me, isnt freeway speeds. fast is like 80-90 miles an hour. this would have happened if i was on the freeway. so basically. it was inevitable. idk why my brakes would have locked up like they did.

im pretty much bummed about my car...

chuyler1 said:
Who else's fault would it have been? There were no other drivers involved so therefore it is your fault. There is no such thing as a no-fault accident unfortuately. Even if the accident is caused by mechanical failure it is still your fault as far as the police and insurance company is concerned.

chuyler is unfortunately right on both accounts.

AWD would NOT have prevented this accident. AWD is to help regain/keep control under acceleration conditions, but unfortunately braking is not improved with AWD (some can even argue its hampered due to extra weight of the AWD system). As far as @ fault, most states still conclude mechanical failures to be driver fault. Has nothing todo with your age, etc...

Sorry to hear about your loss though... it sucks to go through such an accident.

Out of curiosity, did you check the road conditions that you were driving on? were there any spots? was this in rain or during a clear day? maybe due to a flat tire, etc?

EDIT: Was reading/interrupted while responding, just saw your post after I hit post reply :p

That sucks. I crawled out of the sunroof of 1 of my old GTPs after it rolled a couple times. I just had 1 csmall cut on my hand. We are invincible LOL

I'm glad your ok with minor injuries. Could the wild steering issue be due to the traction control freaking out. I believe that's the system that applies power to a certain wheel when issues arise. I'm not sure since I"m new to the MS6.

Were you hard braking or just lightly touching the brake pedal? This just doesn't add up. Do you know what ABS feels like??? Was it like that...shuddering of the brake pedal? I've never had ABS translated up to the steering wheel but then again, I've only had it kick in in snowy/rainy conditions.

Is it me or have there been a lot of mazdas wrecking on this forum.
Sorry to hear about the ride man.

NCZ13 said:
so im cruising on the hill going up, and i come around the bend which is when the hill declines,

I bet this is what happened, you were at the limits of your traction going up the hill and around the bend, no acceleration or deceleration, 100% traction used for turning. Once you came over the hill and started going downhill, the amount of traction available to you dropped. You also started to use some of your traction for braking. So you suddenly have much less traction available for turning, and you were going too fast so you lost control of the car and spun out, and traveling sideways downhill is a good way to flip your car.

Moral of the story? You were going too fast. Freeway speeds on local roads with an uphill to downhill curve. That's too fast. You weren't ready (or even aware) for the loss of traction when making that transition. You also weren't ready for the loss of available turning traction when you started braking.

Last edited:
I was getting to that also...because a mechanical failure seems unlikely and he has not mentioned any bad weather conditions. His comment about "freeway speed" is not something I would be discussing when talking about side roads but he mentioned a median so perhaps it was a wide boulevard.

What was the speed limit and how fast do you think you were going?

Wow, that sucks. Sounds like driver error on bad conditions; not exactly the best mix.

For the person that said AWD would have not worked because it only works in acceleration and not braking. It would have worked, because as you said, if that wouldve happened, what you would have to do is accelerate to gain traction, contrary to popular reactions when losing control which is to slam on the brakes and spin around. That's what makes a good driver good, knowing how to control the car.

But, yeah, glad this kid is OK. Next time if you are in a hurry to school/work/etc, think about it and drive smart, not hard. Like say, don't redline your car to get to the red light in front of you only to be next to the old lady in the past one (for example).

Last edited:
Back