torque specs for pressure plate and flywheel? Please help asap

Spiced MSP

:
2016 Peterbilt 579
Does anyone know the torque specs for the pressure plate and flywheel? Also, the torque specs for the bolts holding the transmission to the block? Are the flywheel bolts reusable? Also, where does the pilot bearing go and does anything need to be lubricated? Is there any type of gasket for the mating surface on the transmission or can I just bolt it back up to the block? Last question, are the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel reusable?

Last edited:
help...sorry to keep bumping this up but I really need some info. I really would like to do this myself but I have never pulled a transmission before. I don't want to pay a shop to do it because the money I pay them could be used for more important things(like bills..we all hate those). I going to attempt to use the How to for disassembling the transmission by Turfburn to work on this. Is replacing axle seals a must? and do you have to drain the transmission to take it off?

Last edited:
IIRC, goinf from memory here

flywheel to crank is 60lbs.

pressure plate to flywheel is 25lbs

check the service manual before you do that. you dont want the wrong ratings. not saying theyre wrong but just make sure

The service manual says 71-76ft-lb for the flywheel bolts and 14-19 for the pressure plate. The large bolts securing the transmission to the block have a torque spec of 65-86.

As far as I know, the bolts are re-usable. Though, when I installed my Fidanza flywheel, it came with new bolts for the pressure plate, since the threading on the new FW was different.

As to your other question, the pilot bearing gets pressed into the center of the FW. You can use a rubber mallet to gently tap it in there. The clutch kit I purchased recommended using a bit of loc-tite on the outside of the bearing.

Replacing the axle seals is not a must, but if they are more than a few years old, it's good practice to replace them as long as you have the axles out.

The service manual recommends applying a small amount of grease to the input shaft on the transmission, as well as at all points where the throwout bearing comes into contact with the transmission.

Finally, yes you must drain the transmission. If you don't, as soon as you pull an axle out, you'll have 2 quarts or so of transmission fluid on the garage floor before you even know what happened. I speak from personal experience. lol

I'm aware the OP has probably already replaced the clutch, but I'm seeking some info myself, so hopefully this gets me some good forum karma! haha

Back