Took a test drive...

dqniel

:
2011 Mazda2 Touring 5-spd (Green)
I was in a 4-door i sport with a manual transmission. Here are my thoughts, as coming from somebody who has owned a 2007 Mazda3 2.0 MTX and 2011 Mazda2 MTX:

1. The ride quality is drastically improved with regards to how the card handles rough roads. You can still feel the road (as you should) but the bumps aren't as jarring.
2. It still isn't the quietest car on the highway, but it has been improved... a lot. The wind noise is down (probably because of the ridiculously low drag coefficient) and the RPM, if memory serves correctly, sat around 2300-2400 while in 6th at 65MPH. That's much lower than my 2007 3 or my 2011 2, so highway cruising is greatly improved
3. The car is BEAUTIFUL. In person, it's both sleek, aggressive, and understated all at the same time. I can't get over how much better it looks than the outgoing 3s. The sedan and the hatch are both stunning.
4. The gas mileage on the 2.0 MTX during my 45 or so minute test drive averaged out to 38.2 MPG. That was with maybe 12 or so highway miles and 12 or so heavily trafficked, hilly suburban miles. So, I'm guessing with a light foot you'd be looking at in the 40s if you have a highway heavy commute and then probably upper 20s to low 30s if you're a more "spirited" driver that has to sit in traffic.
5. The car feels very refined, even in the lowly "i sport" trim. Soft touch interior details are nice. Push-button start is there. The instruments have been reworked to look more modern. The seat was very comfortable. It feels "grown up"
6. The manual transmission is a thing of beauty for a car that starts around $16.5K. It's not perfect, but it's very crisp and satisfying. The clutch is a bit numb feeling to me, but still feels solid.
7. The electric steering is very good. It hardly feels like electric steering, aside from the fact that feedback from the road is muted. The weight feels "natural" and more akin to hydraulic steering, but the lack of feedback from the road is a negative.

So... just some initial thoughts I had after my first test drive. I think it's a beautiful, classy, refined, economical, and fun car. The small negatives (still kind of noisy and clutch is a bit numb) are heavily outweighed by all the massive improvements made to the new 3. I'm impressed.

Re lack of "road feedback" in the steering, I recently drove my buddy's 2013 Porsche Boxster, a wonderful machine that has electric-boost power steering, and I was shocked by the lack of "road feedback" (i.e., road-feel) in the steering. If Porsche hasn't figured out how to transmit road-feel to the driver using electric steering, it's not surprising that Mazda hasn't, either.

The new Porsches with electric steering have been getting a lot of (bad) press for the loss of steering feel, which is something Porsches used to be known for. Car & Driver had a great article a while back on electric power steering. They found that steering feel is often dialed out by manufacturers because a lot of owners don't like it. They find it disturbing or cheap feeling or something along those lines. They also found that electric power steering feel can be every bit as good as with hydraulic power steering if it's done right (and that's what the manufacturer wants).

I find the steering feel in my new 3 to be slightly more muted than what my 2012 Focus had, which was pretty darn good. My RX-8, which also has electric power steering, has good steering feel, but it's slightly muted, also (but still the best of those three cars, I think). My 2005 Mazda3 had great steering feel, especially after I installed Racing Beat springs and KONI Sport dampers. I seem to recall the first gen Mazda3 had some sort of hybrid electric/hydraulic system.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with road feedback (coming from an 01 Protege). My car does give more feedback, but I found the 3's electric power steering to be as good as some other hydraulic power steering. Felt as nice as my Dad's 07 Mazda 6.

The new Porsches with electric steering have been getting a lot of (bad) press for the loss of steering feel, which is something Porsches used to be known for. Car & Driver had a great article a while back on electric power steering. They found that steering feel is often dialed out by manufacturers because a lot of owners don't like it. They find it disturbing or cheap feeling or something along those lines. They also found that electric power steering feel can be every bit as good as with hydraulic power steering if it's done right (and that's what the manufacturer wants).

It certainly is curious that, if C&D is correct about possible feedback with electric power steering, Porsche would have chosen to make the new Boxster's and (its coupe sibling) Cayman's steering so numb. That's the one strike against otherwise stellar machines.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with road feedback (coming from an 01 Protege). My car does give more feedback, but I found the 3's electric power steering to be as good as some other hydraulic power steering. Felt as nice as my Dad's 07 Mazda 6.

The 2014 3's is better than the 2007 6's, IMO. The later really does feel assisted and numb. The 3's feels slightly improved in every direction.

Back