How good is the Mazda3 Hatchback A/C?

Cosmas

Greetings Zoomers,
This is geared for all of the southern US owners out there.

I'm a lifelong Mazda guy. I started life with an MX-3 in high school and about midway through college I got a used 2002 Protege5 hatch stick I'm still in today. I love driving stick as much as I love hatches, and in spite of the backend weight, the P5 has still been an absolute hummingbird around corners.

Now at 21 it's really showing its age and I'm looking pretty hard at getting a M3 stick hatch (once the prices come down and are even available) but the concern I keep coming back to is the performance of the A/C in relation to the size of the vehicle.

You see, I live in Texas, and for the last 2.5 months its been 100+ degrees here, it was 108 just today. My Protege5 still blows cold air but even with everything cranked to the max, my kids in the backseats are drenched by the time I get them home from the babysitter. I realize there's really not much I can do about the climate Armageddon but I would have hoped that Mazda's climate control system has improved in the last 20 years. By contrast my wife's Rav4 gets fairly cool and comfortable after we get going but its obviously a larger vehicle and I assume it has a beefier condenser unit. So the question is, how does the 3 perform in hot climates? Am I just at the mercy of physics? Are the CX crossovers any better? Should I just bite the bullet and go with a crossover instead? I haven't test driven one yet but its on my to-do list.

Thanks in adv. for responses/feedback.

My Mazda 3's AC is excellent, although it doesn't get up over 100 too often here in Southern CA.
But almost definitely, the AC in Mazdas has improved over the years, and in your case, that's a heck of alot of years.

I have a 22 sedan, with the auto AC. So far it’s great to me. If I set it to 72 or 73 esp with the recirc on, I’m shivering after about 15 mins even if it’s 100 out. Have to switch to outside air or turn it up to 74 or 75 to drive off the goosebumps.

Something to consider, the M3 has a smaller cabin than most vehicles. Most larger vehicles have either an under the seat vent or a vent in the center console that blows cold air directly into the back row. The M3 has neither. My CX5 had vents beneath the seat that sent AC to the rear, as it was a larger compartment.

Greetings Zoomers,
This is geared for all of the southern US owners out there.

I'm a lifelong Mazda guy. I started life with an MX-3 in high school and about midway through college I got a used 2002 Protege5 hatch stick I'm still in today. I love driving stick as much as I love hatches, and in spite of the backend weight, the P5 has still been an absolute hummingbird around corners.

Now at 21 it's really showing its age and I'm looking pretty hard at getting a M3 stick hatch (once the prices come down and are even available) but the concern I keep coming back to is the performance of the A/C in relation to the size of the vehicle.

You see, I live in Texas, and for the last 2.5 months its been 100+ degrees here, it was 108 just today. My Protege5 still blows cold air but even with everything cranked to the max, my kids in the backseats are drenched by the time I get them home from the babysitter. I realize there's really not much I can do about the climate Armageddon but I would have hoped that Mazda's climate control system has improved in the last 20 years. By contrast my wife's Rav4 gets fairly cool and comfortable after we get going but its obviously a larger vehicle and I assume it has a beefier condenser unit. So the question is, how does the 3 perform in hot climates? Am I just at the mercy of physics? Are the CX crossovers any better? Should I just bite the bullet and go with a crossover instead? I haven't test driven one yet but its on my to-do list.

Thanks in adv. for responses/feedback.
McWhat ? Is the A/C on a Mazda 3 good ?
Does the pope sh-t in the woods with grizzly bears ? Hell yes its good. - Its rather like an Alaskan sub-50 below wind chill factor on low. ~ I suggest a 2010-11 or (12)
Mazda 3 hatchback - Heres why. I have a 2010 with 160k and they are way overbuilt engines as well. compressor / alt - the 10-11 were gap cars til the Skyactive was released in 2012 - but ....the 2012 was a One off year with Skyactive in the Old gen2 Mazda 3 body - good luck finding one !
But dont be discouraged - the 2010-11 were 300k engines and read why
So they are gems - some had clutch issues so my suggestion is go with the auto -unless you can do clutch work - or get one that had no issues or was rebuilt by Mazda under warranty
The car is legendary and only on the 10-11 did they get 205/50-17s which put lots of rubber on the road - in 12 they skinnyed the tire size for gas mileage - so its nearly imposdible to break loose on any turn -
The2.5 na from those 2 years may be one of the top ten engines ever built - even better than the toyota ( dirty word sorry ) 22RE 4 - I can figure why Mazda put so much into them. ~ read the review i posted -Best - oh - Yes mines a hatchback - and they are sweet with leather / thats std on the GT pac - and it gets led tail lights / xenon headlights - so lifetime stuff - and a timing chain - a long life car !!

Attachments

• 4E99A605-8F4B-40BC-BD78-82C68CBB0FDB.jpeg
    4E99A605-8F4B-40BC-BD78-82C68CBB0FDB.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 32
My CX5 had vents beneath the seat that sent AC to the rear, as it was a larger compartment.
What year? The CX-5 has vents at the back of the center console.

By the way if you can get ventilated seats, you'll find you need a lot less A/C.

What year? The CX-5 has vents at the back of the center console.

By the way if you can get ventilated seats, you'll find you need a lot less A/C.
it was a 2013 Sport model, I bought it in the last days of 2012.

Back