Tokico Top Mount Bolt

thats it, put a few more round washers on top of that, but under the nut to solve your problems

You don't have to take the whole thing off....just the nut on the strut rod. Look at the picture above. The assembly is supported by the 3 bolts that come through from underneath and are secured through frame. The nut that is actually on the strut rod is for the travel of the rod itself, not the entire assembly. As long as your car is on the ground like normal and you have weight on the struts, there is pressure pushing the rod upwards. You should be able to see that below the top nut, you will see some exposed strut rod. Thats normal b/c the strut has weight. If it didn't, the nut would be holding all the pressure in the rod and would fall through (up) once the bolt is released. Honestly, I just did this the other day w/o any problems.

Another thing. I didn't have to put any additional washers onto my Tokico's to elimate the sound. At first I didn't put the big washer on, and had to go back and fix it. But as far as putting additional washers on it, not for me. I also had an impact wrench to help me out, so maybe that helped me. But what you need to watch for is if you are spinning the strut rod when tighting/taking off the rod bolt on top.

-z

Last edited:
Zcast is correct. You don't have to worry about the strut flying out ..just take off the top nut drop a couple small washers (i think mine were 12 mm) on top of the bowl washer then tighten the top nut down.

Jon

zcast said:
You don't have to take the whole thing off....just the nut on the strut rod. Look at the picture above. The assembly is supported but the 3 bolts that come through from underneath and are secured through frame. The nut that is actually on the strut rod is for the travel of the rod itself, not the entire assembly. As long as your car is on the ground like normal and you have weight on the struts, there is pressure pushing the rod upwards. You should be able to see that below the top nut, you will see some exposed strut rod. Thats normal b/c the strut has weight. If it didn't, the nut would be holding all the pressure in the rod and would fall through (up) once the bolt is released. Honestly, I just did this the other day w/o any problems.

Another thing. I didn't have to put any additional washers onto my Tokico's to elimate the sound. At first I didn't put the big washer on, and had to go back and fix it. But as far as putting additional washers on it, not for me. I also had an impact wrench to help me out, so maybe that helped me. But what you need to watch for is if you are spinning the strut rod when tighting/taking off the rod bolt on top.

-z

haha yeah, you go to home depot, and buy yourself some washers that will fit on top of the bowl shaped one, and underneath the nut.

Isn't that cupped washer installed backwards in this picture? I always thought it was cup in towards the strut, not cup out away from it. Look how much of the threaded nut is visible; actually doesn't seem like there's much thread there at all.
MazdaManic5 said:
Is this it?
topmount.jpg

Yeah it sorta does look like its on upside down... Its hard to tell from the picture

borrowed the pic from the tein spring how to, not my car. Just thought id throw it out there because i dont remember this part. Im going to the stealership tommarow for a new set, hopefully theyll have one, or else i find something else. Anyone have a pic of it installed? That would help a lot!!!

Also tommarow im gonna work on a fix for the squeeky awr endlinks, maybe a "self lubricationg dust cover" for the end rods. ill keep everyone posted and ill write up a how to if it works.

I really appreciate everyones help on this one, man i love this forum.
-Ryan

Also note on the pic, the strut is out of the car and therefore has no weight on it, in this case, the nut+washer are sucked to the edge with no "freespace" in betweeen. It is hard to tell and there should be a LOT more threads covered on the bolt, but it was probably just spun on enough to hold the washer and keep everything together.

-z

rktktpaul said:
Isn't that cupped washer installed backwards in this picture? I always thought it was cup in towards the strut, not cup out away from it. Look how much of the threaded nut is visible; actually doesn't seem like there's much thread there at all.
That is how mine gave me problems. I couldn't remember if the dish was up or down. So I put left up and right down. The right was clunking. Took the nut off flipped the washer and tightened the nut back down. The clunk was gone,Easy fix. The strut is not designed to use washers for spacers. Use at your own risk

kingd0g said:
That is how mine gave me problems. I couldn't remember if the dish was up or down. So I put left up and right down. The right was clunking. Took the nut off flipped the washer and tightened the nut back down. The clunk was gone,Easy fix. The strut is not designed to use washers for spacers. Use at your own risk
LOL, but the strut is designed for you to turn the bowl shaped washer upside down... :cool: riiiiiiiiiiiight.
All the extra washer do is make it so the nut doesn't bottom out on the threads before the whoel thing is tight.

Ok so final answer should the bowl shape washer be
A. UP LIKE A U

OR

B. DOWN LIKE A ^

Meaning take a cereal bowl and
a. leave it in the upright position ready for milk
or
b. tip it upside down so no milk can be placed in the bowl.

its supposed to be like the red in your picture. That is the CORRECT way to do it

ah **** it. i went up to the dealership and none of them had the part. So i took three washers stacked them and no clunk. Thatll do . Thanks for all the help.

Back