tmic heat shield

SMOKEYS36SHOP

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
a buddy just finished making his own.
he gave me the template made out of cardboard...

his is installed and seems to help quite a bit, he is hoping to use a heat sensor soon to compare to how he was stock...
i believe he just used machineshop aluminum... much cheaper to use than that special heat shield material...
just powdercoat the thing to help a bit more i suppose.

when i can, ill prolly have a shop make one for me form this template.

you'll also be restricting the path of the air that flows through the intercooler and over the engine.

Not saying this won't work to some extent, but this only addresses radiant heat, not convective, or conductive. Heat will still rise, even if its route is changed, through convection. If heat is allowed to sit above or on top of, or next to the intercooler, it can then radiate heat back down on the top and side surfaces (the radiant component works in all directions), and hot air actually in contact with the intercooler will raise its temperature through conduction. Just saying there's a little more to it than just radiant heat, and maybe their explanation of what their product does is a little flawed.

it would need to be designed somehow with venting in mind? or you would be severely restricting the flow through the fins.. the material would either need to be vented, with maybe some holes or grates or maybe theres room to put this on the engine directly and leave a nice little gap?? but, the ets comes in diff sizes.. so this might only work for the smaller ones.. like the 3" maybe the ets could be lifted a little in the rear to aid this function? good idea either way..

Back