tires... the opposite post.

tire brand and size recommendations needed, please!

ok.... after going nearly mad with the concrete noise and the bridgestone potenzas, i'm gearing up for a tire change.

my criteria is a bit different from what you guys usually want to hear. and no, i don't feel like hearing the 'you bought the wrong car' crap. no. no i didn't buy the wrong car. i know it's issues, and still love it. fun, dependable little car.

i'm looking for a smoother riding tire, at the sacrifice of some handling. i have on my mind also a set of rx-8 wheels, with a more agressive tire (think 'weekend tires'), but for our daily driving, it just makes more sense to put a more ride oriented tire. the roads in town are crummy, and the HOV lane is a noisy roller coaster...

i don't want to go down in wheel size, i'm just hoping for a quieter, smoother, longer wear rated tire, on the stock rim size.... did i say quiet? oh, yes i think i did... quiet, yes... mhmmmm.

i could take you guys on a ramp towards town, that you literally cannot carry on a conversation, the potenzas are so loud. it's not really the tires fault, it's the surface. get in the hill country... these tires are awesome.

i'm realistic, and don't expect much. i know what this car is, and you don't but slippers on a boxer, but i know i can make some improvements.

what i'm looking for:

less road noise, QUIET
ride improvement
a bit more wear rating. i'd like to get 30k out of a set. normal driving.
stock 18" wheel

i know this is contrary to most of our thinking, but you would understand if you rode with us for a day.

Not sure if you want to delve into the world of all-seasons, but I've been looking to replace the stockers with a quiet, longer-lasting tire that I feel comfortable running during the week or two we have snow. I've narrowed it down to two choices to run on my 18x8 RX-8s:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

The consensus is that the Michelins are the best all-around tire, offering good performance, great comfort, traction in a variety of weather, and long life. They are expensive, however. The Kumhos aren't far behind, but considerably cheaper.

thanks, kain. snow and ice are a non issue, as this car will see neither. rain performance is something i'm more concerned with.

Back