Tire Shine Test

ThrillRide

:
Truck
UPDATED 6/26, see post #31
UPDATED 6/16, see post #19

Here is the first of hopefully many pictoral product tests I will do for you all. Thought Tire products would be a good start.

Keep in mind, I don't generally buy products with a lot of shine. Most of my clients prefer a nice clean new look. The most important thing is that a product lasts until the next time I see them. So I have compiled a few products that I use in my business. Some store bought and others are higher end. So we will get to see if your extra money spent was worth it or not. Some of these have actually never touched a tire. Some I buy for the purpose of wheel wells only. But today they are getting a shot at the real thing.
Here are the test entries:

The test is being done on a used up old tire. It came of my truck. I am using the inside of the tire that has never (to my knowledge) seen a tire product and certainly has never been cleaned. However some of these have been used on my personal tires and I will review those in a bit.

The tire was washed with dawn to remove any residue and all dirt. Then followed with an ISO 50/50 wipe down.

Each product was applied with its own clean applicator. The other sections were covered while each was applied to avoid any overspray or overlap.

Six products in all and a large control section. This tire sucked up every drop of product so each section was given a second coat. The directions for each product were followed. I gave them about 20 mins to dry before taking the pic, but you can see that the Meg's NXT doesn't really dry. I'll cover that more in a bit.

The tire was allowed to cure over night in my garage. From here it will be put out in my backyard and left to the elements. I'll try to catalog the weather as I go. I will report back from time to time and see how the test is coming.

As you can see from the pics the Meg's is obviously the most glossy so far. The PB's bold & bright to me is next. The others have a matte finish. hard to tell from these pics but the No touch has a little more shine as well. It is kind of bright. The OPT has a deeper black look than the others. Very similar to the Nascar.

(about $9) As I mentioned I have used some of these products so let me give you my findings on real world driving. I mentioned that the NXT doesn't really dry. It stays very tacky. Thats how it keeps that shine. Problem with that is when you drive it slings off. Thats a huge problem for me. If you buff this product down that won't be an issue but you won't have the high level of gloss. Still looks nice though. We'll see how it lasts.

(about $5) The No Touch tire shine has a similar problem. If allowed to do as the product is meant, which is to clean and shine and no touching needed, the product has a lot of shine, but will sling off. If you clean your tires and then apply this product, allow it to sit and then buff down, it works fine. However I can tell you it doesn't last very long. About two weeks and its time for more. I use this product often on wheel wells.

($12 and $3)The OPT and the Nascar have been my go to products. They both give a very nice new look and they keep that look for several weeks. Both water based, both easy to use. Great products. OPT costs about $12 and Nascar only $3.

($5)The Turtle Wax shine has never seen a tire. Only wheel wells. We'll see how it does.

(about $12)Poorboy's Bold and Bright is the nicest smelling product of them all. It has more initial shine than the others except for the Meg's. If used as directed and you don't use too much it doesn't sling. Use too much trying to get a more bold shine...its gonna sling. I am excited to see how well it holds up in this test. I feel like it doesn't last as long as some of the others, but that could just be me. So we'll see how it shakes down.

I'll post this weekend to see how everything is looking. Until then, enjoy and let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:
Great test man, props to you for doing it.

Have you ever used the DuPont Teflon tire shine? It's what I've been using for the last year or so. Decent amount of shine without looking wet, and I've never seen any signs of it slinging off as well. Even after applying it to the tires, my hands are never near as greasy feeling as I've experienced with other products.

woot nice! can't wait for more updates.

Man that NXT is shiny! almost like it was a paint surface. Makes my personal fav poorboys look all dull.

woot nice! can't wait for more updates.

Man that NXT is shiny! almost like it was a paint surface. Makes my personal fav poorboys look all dull.

Yeah but as mentioned it will sling off making a nice mess on your car. Today some grass blew onto it. Its still very tacky. It is crazy shiney though. We'll see how it lasts.

I am currently using black magic tire shine. It seems to work pretty good for me, a little less than a month till I reapply.

My wife was checking out my experiment. To her untrained eye she thought the Nascar was looking the best so far (after just a few days). Time will tell....

I have others with opinions on black magic. Its full of petro distillates and silicone oils. Neither of which I will let touch a clients tire if I can help it. But people seem to like it so I will add it to the list for the next round of testing.

lol Rally. It is a great price, and so far very nice quality.

jot joel, I think what I am going to do is take the top two from this test and put them up against another batch. I'll do the same as this and use some OTC and some high end. Some one wanted me to try Chemical Guys, which I'm not a fan of but it will be good for testing. If you have something else you are interested in feel free to mention it. I'll compile a list.

Theres the new Stoners (maker of invisible glass) tire wet..I heard its pretty good.

I have about a quarter bottle of Chemical guys NEW LOOK Trim gel. I could send it your way. Its super shiny like the NXT. last a decent amount of time. It was very tacky and never really dry though. a little bit of tire sling too. I really liked the look but its probably bad for your tires and is so nasty to touch.

Awesome testing! I too have tried many of those products and feel the same. Right now I'm using Eagle One no drip Tire Shine gel. It comes with an applicator and so far I've seen some nice results.

Great Thread!!

What is the sign of the tire shine sling? Sometimes I see white soup like lines radial out of the wheel well but I don't know if that is the sling of just dirt from the ground.

Josh

Tire Treatment

Great thread, and cudos for your effort !
I've tried a couple of your test examples, and was quite satisfied with the Meguair's look. You hafta wipe the tire down after the foam disipates, and it will sling for a few days after treatment, but the end result was a non-shiny deep black 'like new' look that has lasted for about a month so far.
Prior to this, I used the 'No Touch' which was a little too shiny, with slinging problems, but the over all result was long lasting after repeated washings.
Choosing a tire treatment is probably similar to choosing your favourite wax treatment -
the best one is the one you like best ! (dunno)

Great Thread!!

What is the sign of the tire shine sling? Sometimes I see white soup like lines radial out of the wheel well but I don't know if that is the sling of just dirt from the ground.

Josh

Sling is actually one of two things. The first, and what most people think is happening, a greasy or thick product is collecting debris and flinging off, or just the fact that its a thick product so excess slings off. This leaves dark spots on your fenders and wheels. The second, and more harmful, is from the petro distillates and silicone oils breaking down the natural waxes and polymer protection in the rubber. When a tire is in motion its natural protection elements migrate to the surface. So when the natural protection is dissolved by cheap products with petro distillates and silicone oils it slings from the tire and makes a mess of your wheels and fenders. This is when staining happens. And then you get a brown tire, premature degrading and cracking of the sidewall.

Update

Have a one week update for you. This morning the tire caught just a little of the sprinkler. Nothing major. Wind was just right and blew a little on it. Just a bunch of mid to upper 90s days with fairly high humidity. Get sun most of the day till about 6 PM. Nothing has been done until today. Today I just took the hose and sprayed them down. Thats it. I think the pictues speak for themselves.

As is after one week:

After spray down:

After just a few minutes of dry time.

I bounced the tire a few times to see how much water was shed from each:

I'm going to let it set a few more days and then I will use a mild car wash with light pressure to wash them see how they respond.

Right now though I think its pretty clear which ones are getting beat. The No Touch is just sad. And the turtle is not far behind. The Nascar has the smallest in size beading. Not sure that that means anything. Looks the best to me as far as beading goes tho. The OPT and Poorboys are similar. The Meg's...well its a mess. Still tacky. Even after a spray down grass and dirt remain. Still has shine though! lol. I'll be interested to see how it responds to a wash.

Well, back with more in a few days.

Last edited:
this thread is getting better and better! Thanks for putting the time and effort in man.

Nascar looks the same as OPT and PB shine wise. Seems to be the best value so far.

Back