Tire Shine Test

I've been using Meguiars Hyper Dressing on my tires for years now in a 1:3 HD/H2O solution. Water based and quick to dry, i'd suggest getting some and adding it to the next test.

Great thread! I just had my car detailed and I believe he used Optimum and I was very pleased. I liked the nice "clean" matte look, reminded me of a brand new tire. Hopefully it will last long too. So far through the rain it looks good.

Great thread! I just had my car detailed and I believe he used Optimum and I was very pleased. I liked the nice "clean" matte look, reminded me of a brand new tire. Hopefully it will last long too. So far through the rain it looks good.

Bold n Bright on yours :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

I think this is probably the final update needed really. Don't think much will change. Since the last update: It rained the two following days after the spray down test, then we had several very hot and humid days, a couple breaking 100. SO this tires has has a beating just sitting there.
In this first pic the Meg's still apears to have the most shine. Well I guess it does but its also dirtier than the rest. Talking caked on nasty. Water spots as well.

After a very light washing with a mild soap and MF rag you will notice again that the Meg's is the only one still beading. Don't let that fool you. Again if this tire had been in use most of that dirt and residue would be slung all over your fenders and wheels.

Even after a wash there is some very stuck on dirt on the Meg's. Also interesting is that it has hard water spotting where the others don't.

After drying the Poorboy's, Nascar, and OPT remain the best. May just be my eye but I think the PB's looks slightly darker. In any regard all three would be a good choice. Its been three weeks face up in high humidity, uper 90s, getting sprayed, rained and sprinklered on. I think these three did the best. The No Touch and Turtle were just bad. The Meg's...well I still want to try it again but being more buffed down and see if it will be less tacky. I may save a small spot for it on the next test.

I have had several requests for other brands so give me some time (been very busy) and I'll start up another round of testing.

Thanks for the looking and for the comments.

I've got alot of the Hyperdressing, I can send you a small bottle of full stregnth (concentrated, can be diluted up to 4:1, but I use it at 3:1)

PM if you're interested.

Tire Test

In addition to the "look" that the product gives, one must also consider the duration of the product as well.

Meguar's has a tire shine product that lasts for weeks, comes with an applicator and smells like grapes. ENDURANCE is probably the best product I have ever used on my tires. Its a thick gel so it stays put after applying as well, doesnt mess up your wheels or paint.

Nice writeup.. Thanks! :)

So far I've only used G-TIRE (TM) Ultimate Tire Shine and it seems to hold up pretty well between washes (meaning that water still beads up on it even if I don't get to washing for a couple of weeks). In fact, it seems easier to use than most others -- spray it on, wait at least 30 seconds, hose it off. If I drove in mud I probably wash the tires first, tho' (wink).

Based on my comparison of the test pictures with what it looks like after a couple of weeks, I'd say it performs at least as well as the PB and Nascar tire shines. It also claims to be "green" and "Ultimate Biodegradable...as determined by ASTM Standards", FWIW ((dunno)), and to me that's worth an extra buck or two (~$5 at Target), even if I am a sucker that way.

Maybe you could test it next time around..

I've been using the PB Bold and Bright for months now and love it! I have it in a spray bottle for control, apply a nice thin coat and let it sit for 10min or so then a light wipe down. Gives a fantastic shine that lasts for weeks. In fact I had a friend ask me how I keep my tires so clean, and this was after almost 2 weeks after I applied the product.

Back