Tire help! 235/40/18 on stock rims

ElSpeedDiablo

:
Mazdaspeed3
Ok guys so I got some Nittos on my car and I have the stockers. A few people have said to me that it's not a good idea to have these wider tires on stock wheels. So I wanted to get others opinion on this, I really like our stock rims and want to paint them black sometime soon. I already got started on the process but it got to cold to finish painting, I'm riding around with half sanded tires, lol, might just pay some homies to paint it. Anywho wanted to get some of the members opinion on the matter, cuz I plan on keeping my stockers, very poor right now and wont be able to afford new rims for a long time. Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Also even though it has been really cold out here the first week I installed these which was around 60 outside, the grip was great and I felt like the grip improved more.

its too wide IMO...those things are really pushed in to fit that size wheel. Be careful when driving it hard

I've already driven the car very hard, like I did with the potenzas granted the weather hasn't been the best down here been cold and hot every other day. Even with the car driven hard I saw no difference, I didn't feel like I was gonna lose control and the grip was there.

Also I owned a gti which came with 17x7 with 225/17 stock from factory, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem, but now I'm worried.

i dont know man, just wait and see what some others say. Im sure the opinions will vary. I had 225 on my stock wheels and they were a lil big, but ok. A 235 just seems to wide to me.

I just put kumho ecsta asx's in 235/40-zr18 on my car. They rub :/ I'm running 18x7.5 with a 45mm offset. they dont rub by much its just the freaking edge of the tire. I'm off to go spend another 100 dollars today :/ ug

235 wide tires on a 7" rim is definitely not recommended; max size is 225.

You'll be fine for daily driving, but don't push your luck. Even though you feel like everything is fine, there is a possibility that it could bite you in the ass later on. I wouldn't be riding on that setup...

Good luck.

As most people have already stated for a 7" wide tire the max recommended is a 225, if you look at specs for a 235 it recommends at least a 7.5" wide wheel, seems like quite a few people are putting 235/40s on 18x8" alright but its not recommended for the stock 18x7". I'm running 225/40 no problem on my stock rims.

I ran 225's on a 6inch wide rim for ever on my last car, autocrossed it and everything. I've heard of a few other running the 235's on the stock MS3 wheels with no problem. I think your fine personally. To hell with specs I say.

While not ideal in terms of fitment on the wheel bead, I think you'll be OK.

I know of at least one guy who autocrosses the piss out of his MS3 with 245/40R18 R-compounds mounted on the stock wheels. :p

Again, not ideal, but not ridiculously dangerous IMO. I think a lot of it depends on the pliability of the particular tire's sidewall.

While not ideal in terms of fitment on the wheel bead, I think you'll be OK.

I know of at least one guy who autocrosses the piss out of his MS3 with 245/40R18 R-compounds mounted on the stock wheels. :p

My god, what'd they do, bake the tires in the oven to make em soft enough to squeeze on the wheel? I have 225/40/18 R-comps mounted on my stockers, It took 3 people to get them on the wheels, the machine they had didn't have enough power.

(lol2)

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but he's got a set of Hankook Z214s in 245/40R18 mounted. He's over on the SCCA forums. His screenname is Beans.

(lol2)

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but he's got a set of Hankook Z214s in 245/40R18 mounted. He's over on the SCCA forums. His screenname is Beans.

Wow, I'm truly amazed they got those tires on there.. hey, atleast I know it's possible now. Same friggin tires I'm runnin. Z214's, C70 compound (softest)

Thats just (screwy)....

Hehe, I'm finding out in the world of autocross and similar motorsports it's common practice to squeeze the widest tire possible on to a wheel. Hell the top guy in my region was even telling me to get atleast 245's to mount on my stockers full well knowing the width of the rim and stock tire size. I didn't listen though (scared of rubbing). I'll probly try some 235's the next time I need some slicks.

Thats odd man... I would never tell anyone that...it goes against everything autocross pros do.

Yes, fit the biggest wheel/tire combo in the fenders as possible, but not a 245, 235 on a 7" rim... I can just see it now, take a hard corner and see that tire bead snap off the rim. Or have a tire blow with the amount of air pressure you need to fill just to keep the side walls stiff.

Definitely not an ideal setup in my book. Always look for the square fit...like a 225/40 on stock wheels.

Thats odd man... I would never tell anyone that...it goes against everything autocross pros do.

Yes, fit the biggest wheel/tire combo in the fenders as possible, but not a 245, 235 on a 7" rim... I can just see it now, take a hard corner and see that tire bead snap off the rim. Or have a tire blow with the amount of air pressure you need to fill just to keep the side walls stiff.

Definitely not an ideal setup in my book. Always look for the square fit...like a 225/40 on stock wheels.

The guy on SCCA Forums that I mentioned is actually reasonably competitive in Pro Solo at the National level...he didn't make it out this year to nats because of something that happened at work (he couldn't take the time off) but he seems to do quite alright with his setup. FWIW.

I'm definitely not trying to start an argument or anything, but it just goes to show that there are different strokes for different folks, and that there are people out there that do quite well using tires that are "too big/wide" by many peoples' standards...

Last edited:
Wow, I thought noone cared, haha, I only had one respond before and now all kindas of drifferent things people are saying. Yes, I do realize that this set up is not the best and I will sacrifice some traction unless I get 18x8, but I'm trying to save up for some new rims. I feel it is fine though, I was told these wheels are 18x7.5 not 7, maybe I was wrong.

Wow, I thought noone cared, haha, I only had one respond before and now all kindas of drifferent things people are saying. Yes, I do realize that this set up is not the best and I will sacrifice some traction unless I get 18x8, but I'm trying to save up for some new rims. I feel it is fine though, I was told these wheels are 18x7.5 not 7, maybe I was wrong.

Yea man, they're 7inches wide

Back