Tip Of The Day! Clean your MAF!

Bravnik

My car has a tad over 36k. I was getting a rough idle at times, usually after the car was good and warm. Nothing bad but noticeable. I would also get hesitation from time to time, like when passing. Another thing I noticed was that my AFR was settling more towards 14.5 rather than 14.6/7. My car also felt like when I went WOT that after 50% peddle the car felt like it was bogging down like it was getting too much fuel. It's hard to describe but that is how it felt. 50% peddle felt better than 100%, if that makes sense.

On my DashHawk logs I noticed my AFR's when WOT on a custom map from Christian was 11.5ish and I wanted more along 12.0ish.

So yesterday I was tinkering with my car and I decided to check my MAF. The filter side of it was BLACK the backside was a deep red it looked like. So I whipped out the can of MAF cleaner I had and hit it with about 30 squirts all around (didn't touch it with anything) and let it dry.

I took my car for a spin today to get some more maps for Chrisitian and my tune. OMG - My car has not ever ran this good. My AFR's were back to 14.6/7, my idle appears perfect, at least I didn't feel the rough idle like I have before but will still give this a few days to verify it is gone.

The power is the big thing I noticed. On this same map, before I could take off and spin 1st and a tad in 2nd and chirp 3rd pretty good. Today I started a pull in a rolling 2nd around 3500RPM's. When I floored it she instantly spun like crazy and didn't stop until I let off a bit and shifted to 3rd.

I then decided to do a log from a stop to see how much she would spin. I spun the entire 1st and 2nd and half of 3rd gear! I then got a bark from 4th! Also the bogging down was gone. The more I mashed the better it felt and 100% felt stronger than 50% again. The change was just amazing.

So when I got home I looked at my logs. Were I was at 11.5ish before I was now at 12.3 to 11.9ish. My FP was also a LOT better on stock internals sitting at 1600-1700 with only one small dip to 1375 after a shift from 2nd to 3rd but immediately back to 1600+ after.

So from this point on I will clean my MAF every oil change. I didn't think it would make this much of a difference, but WOW! Figured I would pass on what I experienced to help others who might be feeling what I was feeling!

Today I started a pull in a rolling 2nd around 3500RPM's. When I floored it she instantly spun like crazy and didn't stop until I let off a bit and shifted to 3rd.

Heh, mine does that too, it's really cool... (rockon) Just something really awesome about being able to make the dogs bark while you're going 35-40 mile an hour!!

Good deal! just when you thought you've thought of everything, here comes something new to check, inspect, and adjust. good writeup!

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is also safe for MAFs, plus the chemicals evaporate in a few minutes.

Yes nice write-up and thanks. Here I thought the IAT was the MAF. Still made a huge difference so I will take it apart again and look up the skirt! Thanks.

The IAT sensor is a good gauge of how dirty the MAF might be. Since it's directly in the path of the incoming air stream, you can really see one side being a lot more "dull" then the side opposite the airflow.

I usually spray it until it has at least some sort of "shine" to it again.

Note that the IAT sensor is a bit more durable then the maf wires, and you can actually use a q-tip to LIGHTLY wipe the surface of it. DO NOT TRY THAT WITH THE MAF WIRES!

Something else to keep in mind...check the maf sensors on "non" performance car's as well. My GF's toyota yaris had one hella dirty IAT/maf after 20k miles.

i did this on my speed3 and found myself in boost way easier. leaving a stop was smoother and when i went into boost it felt like the front lifted. it feels like a new car and i will be using this every oil change and filter cleaning(same time).

i did this on my speed3 and found myself in boost way easier. leaving a stop was smoother and when i went into boost it felt like the front lifted. it feels like a new car and i will be using this every oil change and filter cleaning(same time).

Yep that is exactly what I noticed as well. Car drives like a new car now. I swear it has never felt this good.

Now if I could just spray my wife of 12 years with something that makes rider her just as fun/different again :)

Yep that is exactly what I noticed as well. Car drives like a new car now. I swear it has never felt this good.

Now if I could just spray my wife of 12 years with something that makes rider her just as fun/different again :)

Maybe not spray... but consume. Slip alcohol into everything, and that should do the trick..

Now if I could just spray my wife of 12 years with something that makes rider her just as fun/different again

if you could invent such a spray you'd be an instant billionaire. talk about the Holy Grail...how to make wives act like they're girlfriends who 'want the job' and the Mrs. title all over again. (kiss)

Like the old joke: it's the wedding day and the groom is grinning from ear to ear. Best man asks him what gives, he replies 'i've just had the best blow job ever.'

bride also is sporting a very conspicuous grin. maid of honor asks her what gives. bride replies 'i just gave the last blow job i'll ever give!'

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is also safe for MAFs, plus the chemicals evaporate in a few minutes.

Just in case someone is tempted to be lazy and spray this straight into the MAF on a running engine, the by-product of combustion from brake cleaner is phosgene gas, a rather nasty chemical used to kill Tommies in WW1.

I can tell you this, I'll never again put the brake cleaner next to the carb clean on the shelf, that's for sure. (freak)

Darth Vader

Tried this out for the first time today... Temp sensor was definitely black on one side. So I sprayed the crap out of it (using maf cleaner), as well as the sensor. Stuff worked great!!

In terms of the ride experience, I didn't really feel any difference, and looking at logs, it maybe ran a little leaner... if any at all.

Car has 46,000km (28,500 miles), CAI has about 40,000km (24,900 miles). Have never cleaned this sensor before.

Just in case someone is tempted to be lazy and spray this straight into the MAF on a running engine, the by-product of combustion from brake cleaner is phosgene gas, a rather nasty chemical used to kill Tommies in WW1.

I can tell you this, I'll never again put the brake cleaner next to the carb clean on the shelf, that's for sure. (freak)

Darth Vader

lawl? Who would clean the MAF on a running engine? The proper way of handling the MAF no matter what is to disconn the negative from the battery. I've then removed the MAF from the car, sprayed it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, let it sit for half an hour or so, then reinstalled. I've done this many a time with nary an ill effect.

Not like straight-up MAF cleaner isn't readily available anyway.

05110.jpg

That's the stuff I used yesterday, definitely helped the rough idle and smoothness.

Back