Timing belt Failure..........

alexB

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I am wondering if anyone has experienced their Timing belt tensioner failing. Reason I am asking is my car started making a knocking/almost flapping noise that seemed to be coming from the Tbelt housing area. Pulled the valve cover off and the belt did seem to be loose. Now I have been told that this is a common problem with the FS motor. Is this true? Can anyone speak to this?

The car did die out aswell eventually. Never overheated. would start back up and run. Drained oil and was clean of any metal material.

I have 79,110 on it currently.

Sounds like your tensioner spring was made on a monday.

Either way I'd recommend changing the belt every 60k miles and check the spring when replacing the belt.

Sounds like your tensioner spring was made on a monday.

Either way I'd recommend changing the belt every 60k miles and check the spring when replacing the belt.

Yeah I just took it out and it is out of spec.

timing belt interval is 105k.

I know what it says in the manual, but it also says to inspect at 60k, and that is almost the complete job right there, the extra cost to be safe is a small price to pay (even though our engines are non.interference :))

Yeah I just took it out and it is out of spec.

Then I hope your car will be back to normal again soon.

That's normal, regardless what the book says it's better to replace it before you have issues. I like to replace the belt after 60k miles. it's not difficult just make sure you mark the timing marks well and recheck them a few times before you put everything back together.

Back