The Time Has Come!

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring
My beloved 06 is going to get the Speed3 brake upgrade at last. Now I have a few questions as I prepare to get to buying parts. First, will I need wheel spacers to clear the calipers with my stock 17" wheels? Second, should I pop for the Goodridge SS lines while I have everything apart? Third, Does the system need additional fluid after the upgrade? As in , will the calipers increase the fluid capacity of the braking system? Thanks in advance for any help. My wife was riding with me and felt the severe brake judder from my horribly warped rotors.

Yes, yes, no (negligible?).

Btw, what pads and rotors are you going with? I have a slightly used (<4k) centric semi matellic pads you can have for free. Give it 500-700 miles to break in, you'll like it!

I was lookiing at Advance Auto' website and they have some drilled rotors that look like quality pieces for not too much money. They are about 35$ fewer bucks than the DBA upgrade rotors. I'm struggling to decide if I really need (WANT) special rotors as I'm sure the bone stock Speed3 items are more than up to the task. It just seems like a wasted opportunity to add some bling to the old girl is all. I'm hoping that something along the lines of a 5mm spacer will do the trick as I'm really not interested in having to install longer wheel studs.

Which series of DBA rotors are you after? I really like them too but only the line that's still truly made in Australia. Their lower line was outsourced to China at some point - buyer beware. I've seen pics comparing the two and it is different - quality you can see. I'd say focus more on the top tiers of any band and it should be alright.

All you need is like .25" spacers, more like 3mm but I am using a 5mm and it works fine - traction bonus :p

I'm going to bet that if they are available at Advance Auto, they are made in China :/ Good call on that, I'm trying to remember the second half of the name of the other brand of rotors they had, Otto something.... You didn't have to go with longer studs while using the 5mm spacers did you?

Otto Zimmerman! They look suspiciously like stock rotors that someone drilled, but what do I know? I also wonder why I even care about drilled rotors, as I'm not going to track "ol reliable" As I said above, just a good excuse to add a little eye candy....

Back