The Roof Rack Thread - post pics here!

I'm interested in using the Thule fixed-point towers on my 08, which I understand has the mount points under the roof strip, though the strip itself doesn't have access built-in from the factory. Who has done this install and can comment on how it went?

I have the fit kit to mount the rack in the door frames, but the fixed-point towers are way cleaner.

i looked into the fixed point but didnt want to remove the strip though, ended up finding an old thule rack local. since this pic ive upgraded to the thule big mouth so i dont have to keep taking the front wheel off

DSC_5605_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

I'm interested in using the Thule fixed-point towers on my 08, which I understand has the mount points under the roof strip, though the strip itself doesn't have access built-in from the factory. Who has done this install and can comment on how it went?

I have the fit kit to mount the rack in the door frames, but the fixed-point towers are way cleaner.

Here is a good write up on this question. Someone should sticky this somewhere too. Now if we could only source some Canadian Roof Rails.

http://rackattackportland.wordpress...fixed-points-for-yakima-and-thule-roof-racks/

More detailed pictures. Hope this clears it up.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I like the look better when the fairing starts right at the widshield line instead of back further. Looks nice on the black car.

I need to get a rack for my kayak...

If you like that look, then you should go for the Thule then. Yakima have the fairing mounted further back.

Well, actually, new style Thule fairing seems to stop short of the windshield too. Best bet is to find an old style fairing on ebay...

ChrisG: i just installed a Yakima rack with control towers a few weeks ago. I removed the gutter covers (start at the rear of the car. Open the hatch. At the very end of the plastic strip, you will see a small cap/thin line before the strip terminates. You need to use something to push this clip backwards, towards the hatch. Either the strip, or the clip will move backward, approx 1/2inch. Once it has moved, use a cloth covered screwdriver, and lightly pop the end of the strip near the back of the car, up. There are 4 points along the strip where it clips in. If you're having trouble, hold a section of the strip you already have popped up, and pull it slightly back towards the hatch. When the strip no longer moves, continue popping until the strip is completely removed. This is INCREDIBLY easy. You should have both strips off within 5 minutes.
I then drilled holes where the mounting bolts need to go through the strip, and installed the rack. Easy.

An easy way to drill the holes in the correct location: Take a very small piece of paper towel and twist it up, insert it into the mounting plate. Apply a small dab of grease to the top of the paper towel twist. Reinstall the rack being careful not to toch the grease until the gutter strip is in the correct position. Where the grease marks are, is where your center is.

Note: Even with drill bits rated for metal, the odd make up of plastic/sheet metal will twist and bind a bit during drilling. This won't necessarily be a super clean install unless much time and the proper tools are used. However, it didn't bother me as I was installing the rack for good, and the $120 for the strips with removable slots was an unnecessary expense.

Lutexas, I did the same thing when installing my Yakima control towers. As it ended out installing the rack on my car, the allen bolts threading into the plates never got tight. The control towers did, and even began to slightly indent the roof (not permanent, yet anyway.) I tightened the allens down until the roof just barely began to compress slightly (noticeable under garage lighting.) The control towers themselves, do not twist or rock, but the bolts are far from what I'd call tight, (1/4 turn past finger tight basically.)
As for the plates, depending on how far they bent, they can be repositioned enough for a clean install. I used a steel hammer, and a punch. I placed the striking surface of the punch, onto the top of the threaded barrel of the mounting plate, and over the course of 5 minutes, made short, yet firm strikes down on the punch. When I was finished, the mounting plate was maybe 2-3mm above it's original state. Good luck.

Apexistud, thanks for the post brother. I'm going to check up with that company in an attempt to acquire some mounting plate spacers.

Nice vid Lutexas. Makes me want to go for another ride soon. One of the best feelings is having a day off work and hitting up a trail for the a few hours.

Glad I could be of assistance MS3 Clarity.

APEXistud: Are you getting light roof press in around the control towers? I have the exact same rack and it's pushing the roof ever so slightly out of shape. Did you end up using spacers?

APEXistud: Are you getting light roof press in around the control towers? I have the exact same rack and it's pushing the roof ever so slightly out of shape. Did you end up using spacers?

Nope, nothing wrong so far. I check them occasionally, but so far so good. Because of work I haven't used the racks all that much. Crappy weather lately too. I used only the equipment provided in the kit. I think some people may have over tightened.

I read about over tightening causing issues, and wrote it off as people being stupid. However when installing mine I also ran into issues from overtightening, and I am very mechanically inclined. My current install is loose enough to be unthreaded by my fingers, yet I still am getting minor roof press in, and one of my mounting points had bent.

In my experience it's definitely worth mentioning the issues I ran into. In my case, it was overtightened with an allen key, and there was less than a 10% change in the feeling of the bolt.

Last edited:
Yakima Q-towers
48" Bars
SKS Locks
Raptor Bike Rack
Big Powderhound Snowboard Clamps

DSCN0519-1.jpg

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the original setup. I think that's the smallest fairing which I replaced with the 40" fairing. Also, the 1 Steelhead got replaced by 2 Vipers. Sorry no pics of the bike, but it's an old school Ibis Mojo with the handjob :)

rack.jpg

Here's a pic of the original setup. I think that's the smallest fairing which I replaced with the 40" fairing. Also, the 1 Steelhead got replaced by 2 Vipers. Sorry no pics of the bike, but it's an old school Ibis Mojo with the handjob :)

rack.jpg

I always lusted for an IBIS bowti....mmmm, titanium...

I read about over tightening causing issues, and wrote it off as people being stupid. However when installing mine I also ran into issues from overtightening, and I am very mechanically inclined. My current install is loose enough to be unthreaded by my fingers, yet I still am getting minor roof press in, and one of my mounting points had bent.

In my experience it's definitely worth mentioning the issues I ran into. In my case, it was overtightened with an allen key, and there was less than a 10% change in the feeling of the bolt.

I just installed my Yakima rack tonight using the Control Tower and Landing Pad 11 set up. I can also see slight roof indentations under the front towers. (Probably hard to notice but I was really looking for it under fluorescent lights in the garage.) I backed out the bolts until they were almost loose but it still causes the roof to press in ever so slightly. I wonder if it can be lessened by reseating the tower?

That's wierd. I'm using the control towers also and have no indentations under any of the pads.

Back