The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

I never really had an issue with the math/calc/statistics classes. Of all them I use statistics more than anything and wish I took more classes in school. While it's true I don't use calculus on a daily basis just about every equation I use was derived using some form of it. Heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and stress analysis are all just a bunch of derivatives.

I took the FE in school but haven't done anything since. Like Will, having a PE doesn't do anything for me in my current job. Plus there isn't an aerospace PE so I'd have to take the test for mechanical or general engineering and I know little to nothing about stuff like HVAC. If I want fancy letters at the end of my name I could always start being pretentious and add "M.S." anyway.

PC engineering doesn't really need calc either. I took all the above mentioned courses and rocked them. Partially because I had an amazing professor.
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=318442
Boom!

I didn't discover rate my professors until my last year of college. Greatest site ever.

I never really had an issue with the math/calc/statistics classes. Of all them I use statistics more than anything and wish I took more classes in school. While it's true I don't use calculus on a daily basis just about every equation I use was derived using some form of it. Heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and stress analysis are all just a bunch of derivatives.

I took the FE in school but haven't done anything since. Like Will, having a PE doesn't do anything for me in my current job. Plus there isn't an aerospace PE so I'd have to take the test for mechanical or general engineering and I know little to nothing about stuff like HVAC. If I want fancy letters at the end of my name I could always start being pretentious and add "M.S." anyway.

Same for me. I doubt there is a PE test that focuses on software development.

I took a lot of math and physics courses, now most of my math is how much money I have left after I pay my bills... I even forgot how to calculate subnets for networks

In the field that I work in, There is a lot of calc, stats, and weird math used. But to be honest there is no need for me to know how to do it. Other than the basic stuff. I always have my financial calculator, Bloomberg on my phone, Morningstar on my phone. All these research sources that my company pays a hell of a lot for figure all that stuff out for me so I can worry about the decisions that actually matter.

Last edited:
You're a mechanical engineer I'm guessing?

I'd love to take and pass the PE test just so I can have some fancy letters after my name, but it is a lot of effort for no benefit career wise for me.

Civil, more specifically Civil Transportation. Roadway geometrics, rainwater, pipe flow (pressure and gravity) and some Level of Service stuff. All basic algebra if you know where to look.

PE is everything in my field, as every set of plans/calcs/reports we do needs a stamp and approval before being built.

I have an engineering degree.
I took Calc I, II, and III plus stats I and II. They all sucked and I don't use any of that crap thankfully. :)

That's true, I use mostly basic algebra and equation manipulation. The integrals and stuff I never use.

You're a mechanical engineer I'm guessing?

I'd love to take and pass the PE test just so I can have some fancy letters after my name, but it is a lot of effort for no benefit career wise for me.

PC engineering doesn't really need calc either. I took all the above mentioned courses and rocked them. Partially because I had an amazing professor.
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=318442
Boom!

(yawn)

(lol2)

I hated the math courses partially why I said F it and I'm a civil designer. At this point there is really no benefit to become an engineer for me. I can make money close to an engineer in my field (granted I still have a ways to go to hit that rate) but as a designer I have half the responsibilities of the engineers. And I hate math hahaha Engineers in my company are salary and the pay raise to become an engineer here doesn't outweigh all the extra student debt. I'm better off staying a designer

Last edited:
exposed carbon fiber on muscle cars? Good, Ricey or Just out of place?

if the rest of the color of the car is close to the color of the carbon fiber then its fine. Like a dark grey color on the car and then dark carbon fiber. But only if the car has other updated touches.

I often thought about making stock panels for the TA just to make the car way lighter. The fenders, doors, hood, and deck lid have to weigh close to 450lbs. I would paint them to match the car though. Some older cars look good in raw CF, just depends.

I often thought about making stock panels for the TA just to make the car way lighter. The fenders, doors, hood, and deck lid have to weigh close to 450lbs. I would paint them to match the car though. Some older cars look good in raw CF, just depends.

So much savings in the doors! I can only find "race only" fiberglass doors so no working windows :( I think there was a company that was going to produce just the door skin in cf for a replacement.

You can save about 20 lbs. on the trunk and 100 lbs. in the front fenders with fiberglass. Add a hood, inner wheel wells and an aluminum LS and you could be under 3400 lbs. easy

I see closeout panels and radiator covers everywhere now and they just look out of place with an old carborated 350 or BB

A door skin would be so easy to make. I've never taken apart the doors so I have no idea how they are assembled. Plus if you get rid of the metal hood you can lose the huge springs that prop them up.

I might have to start making parts for that too just so I have spares for when the others rust out and shave the lbs while I'm at it.

A door skin would be so easy to make. I've never taken apart the doors so I have no idea how they are assembled. Plus if you get rid of the metal hood you can lose the huge springs that prop them up.

and the whole hood latch system. That thing is like 100 lbs. Just replace with a couple of aero catch latches or old school style hood pins

Hood pins of course. No JDM for the Dirty Bird!
I would have a hard time leaving the 403 motor though and IM because I love the shaker hood. Just needs exhaust, rebuilt or new carb, headers, mild cam, and some porting and polish for the IM and heads. It is crazy that $2000 grand in bolt ons and mild engine work can crank the hp and tq up to 400+hp when it was only rated at 210 from the factory. DAMN YOU EMISSION LAWS!

Back