The diesel are coming the diesel are coming

Oh, and I don't haul/tow stuff (or feel the need to haul ass away from a green light) so torque isn't all that important to me.

Torque is nice. It flattens out mileage variances at speed. hence why my American V8 vehicles got the same mileage no-matter which way the wind was blowing.

Does anybody know if the towing capacity for the 2017 with the 2.2 diesel will have a higher towing capacity than the gas models? It would be a shame to have almost 300 foot pounds of torque available and only be able to tow 2000 lbs.

I understand it might require some more cost in the suspension and transmission.

Does anybody know if the towing capacity for the 2017 with the 2.2 diesel will have a higher towing capacity than the gas models? It would be a shame to have almost 300 foot pounds of torque available and only be able to tow 2000 lbs.

I understand it might require some more cost in the suspension and transmission.

The 2000lb tow limit has to do with US regs, not chassis capability. Overseas cx5s can tow 4000lb (rated) braked trailer, gas and diesel.

Overseas cx5s can tow 4000lb (rated) braked trailer, gas and diesel.

The three brochures I have for the UK model (April 2014, Nov 2015, and Oct 2016) state towing capacity (braked) for the diesels is 2000kg, and for the 2.0 litre gas engine is 1800kg. Google says 2000kg equals 4409 pounds, and 1800kg equals 3968 pounds. The bigger 2.5 litre gas engine isn't available here so it's not mentioned in the brochure.

The three brochures I have for the UK model (April 2014, Nov 2015, and Oct 2016) state towing capacity (braked) for the diesels is 2000kg, and for the 2.0 litre gas engine is 1800kg. Google says 2000kg equals 4409 pounds, and 1800kg equals 3968 pounds. The bigger 2.5 litre gas engine isn't available here so it's not mentioned in the brochure.

I can add the 2.5, as we have it in Denmark and it's the same as the 2.0: 1800 kg.

My 2.2 diesel CX5 is rated to tow 1800kgs (close enough to 4000lbs) here in Straya. Provided any trailer heavier than 750kgs has brakes fitted and operational.

Its 420mn torques are about 310 ft lbs.

I regularly tow my 5.5m boat that weighs, all up, around 1400kgs. It does it very nicely. Pulling the boat out of some steep slippery boat ramps has never been an issue. I also have a second smaller 4.3m boat that weighs around 650kgs that we use in the creeks and rivers. The CX5 hardly knows it is there. In November last year we towed it 1400kms north to fish ina dam, and back again. Averaged about 11 litres/100 kms, at 100km/hr (60mph)

Thats one of the main reasons I got the diesel - for effortless towing. When I was buying, spoke to several dealers and they all said that for low kms and city driving, the 2.5 petrol engine is recommended. They only recommended the diesel for towing applications like I have and for higher annual distances travelled or regular longer trips.

I love the performance from the diesel. The torque is really quite amazing and the vehicle's acceleration when you put the boot in really surprises some other drivers. I have frightened a few BMW's in particular. By the time they realised what was happening it was all over. embarrassing for them to be smoked by a family SUV!!

Right now, my gauges are showng 6.2 L/100 kms after using about 1/3 of a tank of diesel since the last fill. Thats about 38mpg (US).

Last edited:
Rated or not, I bet it's a real joy to tow with the 300# vs. the 185...I mean, c'mon. Ratings aside, you can't possibly compare the actual functionality of the two!

Back