Get 'flooded' battery or upgrade to AGM? 2019 CX-9

So as I mentioned in my other thread, I need to change my car's battery. Question for this thread is whether I should get a normal 'flooded' battery, or the newer standard AGM one ?

Mazda manual doesn't mention anything regarding battery types, except to just 'contact dealer'. However in other similar forum threads, in general I see people recommending both ways. AGM seems better on paper, but some have said that going from non-AGM to AGM can lead to the latter dying out quickly because of different charging rates ? I don't know many technical details beyond this.

Some other details:

- I think my CX-9 has the normal 'flooded' type since I don't see any mention of I-ELOOP in the car's Fuel Monitor App.
- I also have 3 additional things installed in my CX-9 which can slightly increase the electrical load:
--- Compustar remote start system (always powered)
--- Dashcam (only powered when car is on)
--- Radar detector (only powered when car is on)

So please suggest if I should get an AGM one, or play safe and get a normal 'flooded' one. Price difference is not an issue for me.

If a lead acid battery has the caps to add water to the cells, it is a flooded lead-acid battery. Yours has the caps, yes?

Only the remote always-on start unit adds any load to the battery. All the electrical load including the others are powered by the engine's alternator while the engine is running.

I put an AGM battery into another car, and for the two years I owned it after that it worked without problem. My consideration...how long do I plan on owning the car? If a long time, then I'll either put a top flooded battery or AGM. If a short time, then a cheapo battery.

Echoing what PTguy said, an AGM battery makes sense if you plan to keep the car for a while. Typically a normal battery lasts for 3-5 years, while an AGM should last longer.

Other benefits are that AGM batteries usually have higher cold cranking amps (CCA), making them better for starting your engine in cold weather. AGM batteries are sealed, so they also require very little maintenance compared to normal batteries. Only downside is upfront cost, and a few extra pounds of weight.

Back