The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

I have the resistors just have to install them.
Like the way you described with two-color LEDs. Front turn signal blinks in on-off-on-off instead of on-weak-on-weak pattern during the night like those Euro cars! This makes front turn signal more distinctive during the night and easier to see by the opposite traffic. Unfortunately hyper-flash is always the issue when we switched to LEDs for turn signals. Using resistor is just a patch and it generates heat. The best way is to find a relay which is suitable for LEDs.

Thanks for your testing 72Dime. Some photos of your resistor installation would be appreciated. As noted above, an LED compatible flasher module would be the best solution, but no one has been able to locate where the flasher module is physically located, or at least my question on this point was never answered.

Has anyone replaced their STOCK HID bulbs? Thinking of buying the OSRAM Xenarc 66440CBI DS4 bulb (5000k). Pure white with no lumens lost compared to 4300k.
I've installed aftermarket HID kits before, is replacing stock HID bulb easy just like regular bulb?

I use those switchbacks as well. Have been using resistors since me 2013 cx5, easy to wire cheap and in that application they dont really get hot. Also it's the engine bay, plenty of metal to mount it on. I just secured mine on the ledge under the hood with some cement type adhesive.

Has anyone replaced their STOCK HID bulbs? Thinking of buying the OSRAM Xenarc 66440CBI DS4 bulb (5000k). Pure white with no lumens lost compared to 4300k.
I've installed aftermarket HID kits before, is replacing stock HID bulb easy just like regular bulb?

I've been thinking about those. Unfortunately I spent over $300 on Morimoto XB LED fogs for both the RX-8 and CX-5. Lights will have to take a rest. I'm also waiting to hear back from others about the CBI DS4's before I blow the money to experiment.

I've been thinking about those. Unfortunately I spent over $300 on Morimoto XB LED fogs for both the RX-8 and CX-5. Lights will have to take a rest. I'm also waiting to hear back from others about the CBI DS4's before I blow the money to experiment.

I ordered them, should arrive sometime this week.

Thanks for your testing 72Dime. Some photos of your resistor installation would be appreciated. As noted above, an LED compatible flasher module would be the best solution, but no one has been able to locate where the flasher module is physically located, or at least my question on this point was never answered.

So I finally got around to putting the resistors in. Very simple and straight forward. I taped the blue (negative) and the red/white stripe (blinker) wires with T taps and secured the resistors to a metal brace with a zip tie. Works great, looks great, even better at night. Cheers!!!

Here is a video of them. Not sure why it posts like this.

Last edited:
you used the image tag for the videos

if you edit the above post, use the video tags (movie thingy 2nd from right end) to correct it

(rofl)
I replaced my vanity incandescent bulbs with LED's and quickly swapped back to stock within a week. The color temperature and the unnecessary additional brightness made it impossible for me and all my passengers to do our hair and makeup while using the mirror while driving at night.

(rofl) I guess that would be an issue.
makeup-on-the-run.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I think that took me an hour to read the entire thread and I consider myself a pretty quick reader. I know we're trying to "simplify" the forum so we don't have a billion LED threads, but I really think the topic of LED lights needs to be broken down so we can go through it more easily as a resource. Most people aren't going to be like me and spend that long reading through a single thread. The way it's laid out now all inclusive in one thread, it's very difficult to find the answer to a particular question and most are just reposting questions already discussed in one of the 43 pages. Responses also don't come in order so it gets quite confusing. May I suggest this thread be broken down to the following?

1. Strictly LED headlight and foglight upgrade:
Brand comparisons, CREE vs SMD tower, etc., PnP (Plug and play), retrofits.

2. Other bulbs: cabin, vanity, trunk, blinkers, side markers, etc.
We can talk about resistors, relays, hyperflash issues, mounting, etc. Superbrightleds vs vled vs jdmtoy (which by now, is on the blacklist), ebay, amazon, etc. The size of 29mm festoons being easier to install than 31mm, where the tabs are for removing covers, etc.

3. Lamp swapout:
Some people have changed our the entire rear assembly for new versions. We can discuss fitment, waterproofing, DIY swap out instructions.

Last edited:
LOL, it's a 43 page thread. There's no way to break it down.

Anyhow, just replaced my OEM HID lights to the D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS.
Right away I could tell the difference. The stock HID has a slight yellow and these are nice and white. These OSRAMs advertise as being pure white 5000K while having the same lumens as a 4300k. I drove a couple blocks at night today and it does look like it projects farther.
It's not broken in yet, so I'm sure it'll turn more white as I use them.
Going to drive 6.5 hours tomorrow night, that'll be great to burn in and test out the bulbs.

Passenger side was pretty easy to swap out. The driver side was a pain. The air intake box and fuse box was in the way, had to remove/unscrew and jiggle it around. I'm not a big guy and still had a hard time, so many red marks on my arm.

LOL, it's a 43 page thread. There's no way to break it down.

Anyhow, just replaced my OEM HID lights to the D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS.
Right away I could tell the difference. The stock HID has a slight yellow and these are nice and white. These OSRAMs advertise as being pure white 5000K while having the same lumens as a 4300k. I drove a couple blocks at night today and it does look like it projects farther.
Going to drive 6.5 hours tomorrow night, that'll be great to burn in and test out the bulbs.

Passenger side was pretty easy to swap out. The driver side was a pain. The air intake box and fuse box was in the way, had to remove/unscrew and jiggle it around. I'm not a big guy and still had a hard time, so many red marks on my arm.

Sounds convincing so far. I'll wait on the post burn in update to make up my decision.

These OSRAMs advertise as being pure white 5000K while having the same lumens as a 4300k. I drove a couple blocks at night today and it does look like it projects farther.

HID lights have slowly declining output over their useful life so it's not surprising new bulbs look slightly brighter. Also, the human eye is most sensitive to blue light (which these have more of even if they don't look blue). I find my eyes are more relaxed with a slightly warmer light. This helps avoid eyestrain if you do any lengthy night driving.

Just replaced mine with this set:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I took some RAW photos of before and after with my DSLR in manual mode (same zoom, aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, base curve, and white balance). I'd say that the LED bulbs are not any brighter than the stock bulbs, but I prefer them not too bright for safety, and they use less energy. Though, I'm looking for a brighter bulb for the cargo (on the inner side of the tailgate), any suggestion?

The set came with two pairs for the license plate, I installed the smaller/dimmer one. Both pairs are not bright enough to affect the backup cam.

Stock bulbs:
j0CbiMLvCDc5QYUCxlT0_efK6-wwxHnX0r9mfDoJpCQsLwnwBI-5=w769-h518-no

LED bulbs:
ZzQhDRwyuyLeIyxuYn0s5X4lKIV0t5vP2bTjQHQviqw0p2XWKKz8=w769-h518-no

Last edited:
Your photography is amazing. Best one yet of 43 pages! Thanks for taking the time to create those quality pics and sharing it here! Much appreciated. Great contribution.

Back