Tallest tire that fits without rubbing?

:
2015 Soul Red 6 Sport Auto 2016 Accord EX Auto
Getting off the plane today and having to clear snow from the MZ5 got me thinking snow tires are needed soon. Was looking to see if anyone has run anything taller on their MZ5 and if so, what size and did it rub?

My last winter car I went one size narrower and taller and it was great. Would like to do so again, so maybe instead of a -1 size of 205-55-16 maybe a 195-60-16 (0.14" taller) or a 205-60-16 (0.62" taller).

What have you run, and how did it go?

FWIW, Discount Tire Direct includes 205/60R16 and 225/55R16 in their list of winter tire options for the newer 5, so those are pretty much guaranteed to be problem-free. I'm not that familiar with the differences in the wheel wells between your model and the newer one, but I can't imagine you'd have a problem.

I'd go for the 215/60-16 tires in a heartbeat. My last car had the same size 205/55-16 tires as the 5 and I went to the 215/60-16 tires as soon as the originals wore out. It added maybe 32mm in diameter which divided in half was only 16mm added to the top. Plus the width from 205 to is only 215, so only 5mm per each side of tire. (corrections made)

Give or take the differences in tire manufacturers actual dimensions of course.

Now, what I'm curious about is perhaps going with 205/65-16 (correction from 15) at some point. I have tire diameter figures written down at home. The two concerns there are interior fender clearance and the change in engine rpms to road speed. Can the 5 handle that? Probably, I'd just have to know the % change in indicated speed vs. actual speed.

Last edited:
My last car had the same size 205/55-16 tires as the 5 and I went to the 215/60-16 tires as soon as the originals wore out. It added maybe 16mm in diameter which divided in half was only 8mm added to the top.

And likewise, it only raised your ground clearance by 8 mm.

Now, what I'm curious about is perhaps going with 205/65-15 at some point. I have tire diameter figures written down at home. The two concerns there are interior fender clearance and the change in engine rpms to road speed. Can the 5 handle that? Probably, I'd just have to know the % change in indicated speed vs. actual speed.

A 205/65R15 shouldn't be materially different in outside dimensions from a 205/60R16. Unless you were actually intending to say 205/65R16... Either way, I'm pretty sure your cars won't take a 15" wheel.

Either way, the speedometer error is simple - take the ratio of the revs per mile rating of the two tires in question and multiply by the speed that's in question. For instance, if your stock tire is rated at 820 revs per mile and your potential replacement is rated at 800, then your error is 2.5%, or 1.5 mph at 60.

And likewise, it only raised your ground clearance by 8 mm.

A 205/65R15 shouldn't be materially different in outside dimensions from a 205/60R16. Unless you were actually intending to say 205/65R16... Either way, I'm pretty sure your cars won't take a 15" wheel.

Either way, the speedometer error is simple - take the ratio of the revs per mile rating of the two tires in question and multiply by the speed that's in question. For instance, if your stock tire is rated at 820 revs per mile and your potential replacement is rated at 800, then your error is 2.5%, or 1.5 mph at 60.

You're right. I meant staying with a 16" wheel. Plus all my math is off, I was doing it all on my "smart phone" while taking a break from working on a machine. Got it all wrong. I cut things in half so, I made edits above. Ooops. :D

16's? Stock? I thought pretty much all the 5s came with 17" wheels. And clearing snow in the last week of October is why I will never live any further north than I do right now, screw that action man! LOL

16's? Stock? I thought pretty much all the 5s came with 17" wheels. And clearing snow in the last week of October is why I will never live any further north than I do right now, screw that action man! LOL

All first generation MZ5s do indeed come with 17" wheels. Second generation MZ5s Sport models come with 16" wheels while Touring and GT models come with 17" wheels. You may have never noticed because both wheels offerings do look very alike although not identical.

I ran 205/60/16 snow tires on my 5 a few years ago. They ran fan. I actually liked the chunkier look of them on the car. Slightly more clearance was nice to have, too.

I actually liked the chunkier look of them on the car. Slightly more clearance was nice to have, too.

The look is kinda old school mixed with SUV. I like it too. For the extra clearance and extra cushion on bad roads. :)

Back