205/55R16 Snow tires - bad idea?

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
I realize this is the age old question for Proteges, but would like to ask anyways, as most other threads are pretty dated.

Shopping for snow tires and my desired sizes are 195/55R16 or 205/50R16. A new set of Blizzak WS90s will run me $600+ which is okay, but I'm always inclined to first check the local used market for lightly used sets (of course diligently checking for defects, wear, and the date code - have gotten some good deals this way in the past).

I've spotted a set of brand new WS90s in size 205/55R16 a few hours away on marketplace for around $200. I know 205/55R16s are a BIG tire for a P5 but they can fit. For how much I would save even with gas to go get them, I'm inclined to just send it and go grab them. I have stock-ish wheels with high offset spacing so they won't rub on the fender but I would be more concerned with rubbing on the strut mount. I'd certainly be okay to "clearance" the strut mounts a little if I need to and if possible (I've heard of people doing that).

I'm always preferential to stock fitment and parts but I do like the idea of a marginal increase in ride quality, sidewall thickness and ride height in the snow. And I am kinda going for a "rally" theme with my P5 so I think this could add to that.

Thoughts? Am I crazy considering this?

Anyone ever help you with this? I’m leaning the same way. Kinda rally ish / class11 build. Def prefer stock height or even slightly higher and more aggressive wheels

Attachments

• IMG_5232.png
    IMG_5232.png
    187 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5231.png
    IMG_5231.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 42
Sadly nope, but not unexpected since it's kinda niche question. Maybe with some activity now it'll get bumped and people will see the thread.

Those are some sick looking MSPs! I'm definitely not going that crazy but figured it's a more common size and would be nice for ride quality etc.

I ran 205/55R16 tires on my old protege 5 with stock wheels and eibach springs. No rubbing and I they filled in the wheel wells nicely.

I ran 205/55R16 tires on my old protege 5 with stock wheels and eibach springs. No rubbing and I they filled in the wheel wells nicely.
Dang. Well I ended up going with a new set of 195/55R16 Blizzak WS90s from Costco. Not as cheap but they should fit without issues. I still want to do the 205/55s at some point though so glad to know they work okay, thanks!

Back