swaybar install question

slyguy

:
2003 Protege 5
I was thinking on getting a Racing Bears rear sway bar from a protege mp3 for cheap. It doesn't come with end links but does come with the D bushings. Will the it require the end links from the pm3/mazdaspeed or will the stock one work? Also can I get away with the stock mounting hardware?
Or should I wait and upgrade both the front and rear sway bars at the same time?

Last edited:
You will need MSP/MP3 end links and mounting brackets, the stock P5 end links are too short and the stock mounting brackets are too small. I would also recommend upgrading to urethane bushings. The MSP/MP3 mounting brackets won't bolt up to the P5 cross member, the best way to fit the Racing Beat sway bar to a P5 is a set of clunk fix brackets. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123805346-GB-Clunk-Fix-Brackets

Here is more info about the "clunk" http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123766613-The-Infamous-MSP-Clunk-Info-amp-Solutions

Last edited:
Another option is to pick up the Mazdaspeed rear subframe so that the mounting tabs for the brackets will bolt right up
Yes you could pickup a Mazdaspeed sub frame but in a few thousand miles you'll be wanting the clunk fix brackets anyway. The clunk fix brackets are a lot easier to install than a sub frame as well.

I didn't find it overly hard, but you are still correct, and would save the price of an alignment. When I get some money I will have to pick the fix up myself.

Well that's something I was not planing on hearing. Well now that winter is coming I'll put this advice under advisement and get all the parts by spring time. Is there anything I should be aware if I find the matching front sway bar?

I wouldn't get it if I were you. Not worth the hassle of the install. Alot of MSP guys want a smaller sway bar up front on the AutoX course.

Are the MSP guys wanting a smaller front sway bar running a stock setup in the rear? You want the front and rear balanced, the rear Racing Beat bar in the stock configuration is a little weak that is why AWR and Progress make their bars bigger than the the Racing Beat rear bar. The clunk fix makes the rear bar stiffer to better match or balance with the front.

It is true, it is a job to replace the front sway bar, but if you are wanting to improve the handling I think it is worth it.

If by stock you mean the Racing Beat rear bar then yes. The front bar may help on the track. I am not sure. But all the guys up here run just the Racing Beat rear bar and are more than happy with it. Sometimes to get the grip levels ballanced you need to "unbalance" the setup. If front to rear grip is 50/50, but the car understeers, you need to add front grip and or take it away from the rear. The ratio will then be 60/40 but the car has better overall handling and grip. I know Protege's have a tendancey to understeer, so no matter how thick the front sway bar is a thicker rear bar will help. I think for the average person, a RB rear bar with the clunk fix is an A+ setup.

Last edited:
between my mp3 and a regular protege its a whole different level in handling. just my .02. if you really want it to handle well get some tokico blues and lowering springs it will probly make a bigger difference than sway bars

Forget the front bar. Stock front P5 sway bar + rear MSP sway bar will get rid of a lot of the understeer engineered into the P5. The balance will be closer to neutral with this setup. That's good.

Sorry to thread jack, but since were on the subject of rear suspension, does anyone have a picture of the stock rear suspension, looking into the wheel well with the tire off?

Back