Sudden problem, don't know what's causing it... HELP!

iKevin

:
2002 Mazda Protoge 5
I don't know what this means--as I'm pretty dumb with car stuff--but just today I think I ran into a slight problem with my car. It's a 2002 Mazda Protoge 5 with a manual transmission, and it's been running fine up until today.

The problem is, when I accelerate in first gear to get the car moving, a good chunk of the time the car stutters a few times just as I'm releasing the clutch, but not the type of stuttering that occurs when I release the clutch too quickly; it happens even when I release it slowly. I don't know what this means, and I know it's probably hard to answer just based on that, but the mechanics are closed on sundays and I can't go in till later tomorrow, so I'm just curious if anybody can at least throw out a few suggestions as to what it could be.

If you need any further info, just ask and I'll provide it.

mine does that sometimes too, I haven't quite understood it yet but I think it only does it when it's cold and Im not giving it enough PRM's

I'm pretty sure that you're experiencing clutch shudder. It happens when cold driving and/or when the flywheel needs resurfacing. Any other possibilities guys?

If it's not clutch shudder, you may have gotten into some bad gas- it happens. Don't use the cheapest gas around- you and your car will suffer for it. Run some good injector cleaner (dump it in the tank when it's near empty, then refill) and then fill it up with some good Chevron/Texaco/Shell. It's not necessary to use premium but your car might thank you for a tank or two. DON'T USE ARCO! It's probably time to give your car a little attention- oil change, new plugs, new air filter, ect. I'm willing to bet it's been a while. Good luck!

Ok so you guys seem to think it's just clutch shutter. If that's all it is, I'm happy, but it's not terribly cold outside right now. In fact, it's warmer today than it's been in a month. It's 4c outside, where prior to today, it was between -7 and -15c but this didn't really seem to happen.

As far as the gas thing, last time I filled up I put in Shell gas. It was the lowest grade they have, but it wasn't some sort of cheapo gas station. Now Matsuda03, you mention the standard bunch of maintenance options which probably is a good idea, but to be honest, I don't know the last time it was done; I bought the car used only about a month ago.

To JC-MP5, when you mention the flywheel needs resurfacing, what does that mean exactly, and does that cost a lot to get done?

So, let's just say for arguements sake that it's NOT the clutch chatter, bad gas or the flywheel, what else could it be? Could it ben some sort of transmission or clutch problem, or even maybe something in the engine? I don't really feel any kind of delay when getting moving, nor do I hear any strange noises when idle or driving, just the stuttering sometimes...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
its def clutch chatter , bad gas normally causes hesitation or missfires which does not feel anything like clutch chatter, my car only does it in reverse but its freakin annoying still

Any more possibilities? Any chance it could be something worse, such as the transmission, clutch or engine? I only ask because I don't know if that type of symptom could be related to one of those 3 parts.

I'll fifth clutch chatter. Check your mounts, my car did it bad when they were ripped.

does that cost a lot to get done?

No idea. But I'm guessing a lot, since the gearbox has to be removed to get to the flywheel. You literally resurface the area of the flywheel that makes contact with the clutch disc.

Depending on how much it would be to resurface, you could just do this instead.

try changing the spark plugs. one of my NGK-R plugs went bad, causing the car to jurk and hesitate on acceleration.

I thought it was my trans slipping, or a broken mount......turns out it was a $2.00 spark plug used longer than it should be. lol my fault!

its worth a try to changer your spark plugs, mostly if you just got the car, and dont know if the dealer changed them or not.

Because it is kinda' sudden - i suspect your engine mounts as well.

Does the shifter 'move' more than it used to when pulling out in 1st?

Visually inpsect the ounts for rips/tears. If they have never been changed - they are due. All four.
Aftermarket ones are much more durable (and help launch the car better - less drivetrain lash) vs. OEM which are least prone to induce vibrations in the cabin.

Wait until the clutch needs maintenance to resurface or replace the flywheel/pressure plate.

mine does it to. it almost feels like losing grip in a light rain. like 3/4 of the tire is covered in oil. (best way i can think of to describe it) i definitely say clutch chatter / shudder.

and separate from that, it has the worst slow speed fuel management i've known. trying to maneuver below 10mph without the clutch is a nightmare. it bucks and jumps and nearly stalls. reminds me of an 03 GSXR1000 at the same speed.

so when you put both together it can be a handful.

^You have worn mounts as well - you have 'wheel hop' in the rain (another symptom of the worn mounts).

Mine too. I had the motor mounts replaced and it still shuddered when I'd start in first or reverse. It also shuddered a bit during acceleration going through 1st and second. Could be the pilot bearing and/or the throw out bearing. I had those replaced along with the clutch and It all went away.

Last edited:
hey guys! this is my first post here so forgive my n00bness.

My wife has a 2002 p5 with automatic transmission and she's been having a similar issue as iKevin. When she starts the car in the morning and puts it in drive it feels almost like it's in second gear - you have to give it a lot of gas to get it to pick up speed. After 3 or 4 minutes it seems to drive pretty normally and will successfully go into first gear from a stop.

I'm pretty green on car repair but if I'm remembering correctly our local shop did indicate our rear mounts needed to be replaced (we hear a big bump when we go over even the smallest speed bump).

Obviously that needs to be addressed but would this also effect whether or not we can get into 1st gear?

<bump>

noone chimed in so i'm not sure if I should create a new thread or if I've managed to stump the forum on my first post... not likely. :)

so I checked and it does look like we need the rear engine mount replaced. Any word on if this would this be related even though my p5 is an automatic transmission?

i'm going with the majority and saying it's time for a new clutch and flywheel
i experienced these symptoms before and a new clutch and flywheel did the trick

Has the car had a tranny flush? I would start there and also address the bad mount since it can lead to much worse problems.

<BUMP>

noone chimed in so i'm not sure if I should create a new thread or if I've managed to stump the forum on my first post... not likely. :)

so I checked and it does look like we need the rear engine mount replaced. Any word on if this would this be related even though my p5 is an automatic transmission?

Back