STX Build Thread

britt, sounds great...keep us posted. i'm especially interested your planned intake mod.

there's no one that can reflash a mazda ECU? really? what do the STS2 miata guys do?

moxnix said:
Having seen the Toxic Performance MSP kicking ass on sunday at devens in DS and seeing this STX build it makes me wonder if anybody is going to make a DSP build. There seem to be rumors floating around about moving the top BMW's out of DSP and with them gone the MSP I think could do pretty well as a DSP car.

i've heard the same thing about the Bimmers, and i think its one of the best things that could happen for SP. if it happens i might decide to do a DSP MSP, but until then...my main concern is the actual power gain that could be seen in SP trim, esp with the dubious internals of the MSP.

dmitrik4 said:
there's no one that can reflash a mazda ECU? really? what do the STS2 miata guys do?

i've heard the same thing about the Bimmers, and i think its one of the best things that could happen for SP. if it happens i might decide to do a DSP MSP, but until then...my main concern is the actual power gain that could be seen in SP trim, esp with the dubious internals of the MSP.

Mazda is known for their hard to crack ECUs. Or maybe they have less people trying to crack them I am not sure. I am not sure anybody has done anything ECU wise in STS2 yet for the miata. I know Andy Hollis was looking into some things
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=160073&page=1&pp=25
but don't know if anything has come from it yet.

Yeah I am not sure how much you could get safely in DSP trim. Not sure if aftermarket pistons would do any good with having to stay with stock other parts or not.

I have been in SOLO for about 10 years in various classes, did some road racing etc.

Actually I may need a co-driver.

So I just got done installing my endlinks (Big difference), UDP and no squeal from the belts at all.

I have to leave to get my camera and to go pick up my seats!

Many pics will be posted tonight.

I am debating machining Delrin bushings for every joint in the car, we'll see.

Ninja, come play in STX, it's a lot of fun. I won't be at most of the local events, mostly regional so I can test myself against the likes of Ron Bauer...

Plus, I'd like to run against another MSP.

Britt

I have it on good word from someone on the SPAC that E36 Bimmers will move to BSP soon...

Well, got the seats, damn they are nice. Didn't have time to get another camera, maybe tomorrow. I've been playing with mounting ideas for several hours now, trying to get the seats as low as possible but still being able to see the cones. I was going to try to mod the factory sliders but it isn't gonna work unless I cut them up which I am not willing to do.

So tomorrow the seats will be in, the Brakelines will likely go in, and if my lugnuts get here I'll tackle the wonderful task of replacing all the lugs. I wish my Brother was home (he's in Indiana for some reason) he works at Les Schwab and he could have it done (brakelines and Lugs) in under and hour. Maybe I'll wait...So then I'll have to wait for the coilovers from Tony, he said about two weeks. Then it's off to get cornerweighted.

I'll add most of the pics tomorrow if I get time.

Britt

MSP in STX

Britt you are the man! I love this!

I just took 1st in STX last weekend in Central Michigan. I've been running TDS most of the year in local events plus Detroit Region SCCA, but just started building up the MSP for STX. Well ordering parts, I still haven't installed anything yet except for last weeks race. I changed out wheels, some bushings, modified the air intake and a couple other things that are easily changed back so I can run TDS again next weekend. I was going to wait till next year but I've been eating up TDS and I'm looking to find some new competition. I'm the only MSP around except one other guy running DS but he's always the only car in the class. I keep trying to get him to switch back to street tires but he won't budge.

I haven't started planning the mods extensively yet but it's good to know I'm not alone.

I want to see pics soon.

Take care,
Mac

Britt: I have a set of Zenki aluminum lug nuts you can have, minus the one that stripped it's threads. Still, buying one is cheaper than buying 20. Morris Green, I'm in the phone book.

I'm still running in DS locally. Local autox school is July1 but it's full if you haven't signed up. Next event is July 8 & 9 in Packwood put on by NWR from Seattle. Packwood is a great site, big open asphalt with a huge steel building used for pits/parking. Pro Solo will be there Aug 5/6, National Tour Aug 12/13.

Put my MSP on the scales at Atwater last May. Stock corner weights were RF 839 LF 839 RR 497 LR 553 with about 4 gallons of gas and no driver. Total 2728 with TD Pro Race 1 wheels and Toyo RA1s 205/40x17 tires. Pretty nice cross weighting balance for a stock car.

Let me know if you need a co-driver! I've corded my Toyos and I'm looking to fit some A6s if they make a size that will fit!

Hey Morris, long time no see... I haven't been out at all this year, but might make the next few events and possibly the National Tour. I probably won't have the wide Falkens on by then, but everything else should be done.

I bought a set of alloy lugnuts from someone here on the boards, they shipped already but I haven't got them yet. I decided to wait to "let" my brother change the lugs out and put in the SS brakelines.

I might need a co-driver, I asked Travis Gripp from BS, but he's so busy in the Fire Academy he hasn't been running at all this year.

July 8th and 9th is the Historic races down here...dilema. I actually work that weekend, but I am trying to switch with someone so I can go play. Historics sucked last year, so maybe I'll go autocrossing instead.

So I didn't get a new camera tonight, I'll try to get one tomorrow. The seat install took longer than expected, so I only got the passenger side done. I am having to get creative with the seat belt recepticle, the factory one is attatched to the seat. The seat sits low though, possibly too low, but after the coilovers go in maybe I can see the cones.

Pics coming I swear!

Britt

Some pics up

Ha, just realized that I installed the AWR endlinks wrong, the saftey washer is on the wrong side of the bar...

Time to get dirty again...

Last edited:
This is a great thread, good luck to you. I'm also interested in the schroth belt. Let me know how the installation go. also are you planning on putting a camera in your car?

Yes, I bought a DVR with four hard drives so I can run multiple cameras.

Britt

Falken FK-451 tires, huh? Interesting. I don't think these tires will ever be as fast as the RT-615s- no matter what you do to them.

When I installed the intake in my ES, I didn't think I moved my coolant bottle. And even if you have to with a MSP, what if you got a shorter filter- ever looked through the K&N catalog? There's also those foam domed filters that are pretty short. Or you could modify the intake pipes to get the filter away from the coolant bottle.

And I swear the price you had for your harness was pretty high.

You haven't mentioned alignment settings have you?

I've only autox'd my ES once- my normal autox car is down for a clutch job. I could get the rear end to rotate, but it was sandy and wet the day I ran it. How well does a MSP set up in STX trim rotate? If the answer is "not very well", then maybe running stock front end links or even disconnecting the front sway bar is the way to go.

Good luck.

--Tom

That price was for two harnessess, shipped so actually it's a fair deal.

The Falaken FK-451 when shaved down to 3/32nds is the same exact compound as the 615's so I won't have to worry about that at all. they don't make the 615 in a wide 16" and the FK is cheaper.

U can use a cone filter but it sucks in the hot air from the engine bay and really screws with the MAF after awhile if the fans are on.

The car will rotate fine with the valving and spring that Tony is doing for the coilovers. Besides, I've always got the rear brake bias to whip it around.

Britt

i believe hoppe won STX at Nats w/ shaved 451s.

tom, i think you're talking about a short-ram intake, not one that routes through the circular hole underneath the coolant bottle into the fender. the tube diamter is the limiting factor there, not the filter size. there is no way to squeeze a big enough intake tube past the bottle as sits. britt- you could probably drop a tube straight down to behind the front bumper, and build a splash shield around it.

having trouble visualizing this in the protege...where would the smaller ones be routed? both through the fender hole?

that's the setup (filter --> Y-pipe --> Y-pipe --> AFM) i'm planning on running in my corolla, where the stock intake pulls cool air from behind the headlight, then goes out into the fender, then back into the engine bay...??? 2 small fender holes and one convoluted intake tract...weird.

Looks good so far. Are you just using the Sparco mouting brackets bolted to the side plates?

dmitrik4 said:
having trouble visualizing this in the protege...where would the smaller ones be routed? both through the fender hole?

I can't remember what exact position the coolant bottle is in for the stock setup. Mine is moved as well. I was think that two smaller tubes could get on either side of the coolant bottle and then back together as they go through the hole into the fender.

Actually I made my own brackets, the seats are bolted directly to the floor, and I used some old Corbeau sliders I had laying around from my old FSP car. The sliders are only on the driver's side, passenger get to sit low. Actually both are low. Most would say uncomfortable on the street, but it'll be good at the track.

Lugnuts came in today, so I'll be replacing those, and doing the brakelines at the same time, probably tomorrow or Thursday. Harnessess are supposed to be here any day now.

Britt

Back