Stumped: Climate Control/Airflow Issue

smarks90

:
Mazda 3
Where to begin...

I have been having some serious issues with my manual climate control unit in my car for some time. I just recently had it in to the dealership and they replaced the whole climate control unit after I little mistake on their part.

However, now when I set the airflow to only come out at the upper vents I can feel the air still coming out strongly at my feet. It's almost like there is something wrong with the way that left airflow climate control knob is adjusting where the air is flowing. defrost is fine and so is the "just lower feet" setting but for some reason the setting for just your head level airflow seems no different than the in-between head and feet setting adjacent to it on the dial.

Anyone know how the module works and how it takes input from the spinning dial and translates it to which vents are open and which are closed?

any information would be greatly appreciated

doing that tomorrow, just trying to figure out how the mechanism works and if what I think is the problem actually is.

Even according to the manual, when set to the top vents only some air will still flow through the lower vents. But it shouldn't be as much as when it's on the "face & floor" setting.

Maybe relevant; maybe not.. I've noted with both 3s we've had that the airflow selector tends to favor the last fully-diagrammed position (i.e. face, face & floor, floor, floor/windshield, windshield) when set to one of the in-between marks @ 9, 12 and 3 o'clock respectively. For example, more air flows to the floor vents when set to 9 o'clock from the "face & floor" position than when set at 9 o'clock from the "face" position. But that could be subjective; I've never tested the actual airflow with a flow meter (terribly expensive, difficult and time consuming for a do-it-yourselfer such as me).

(dunno)

I don't know if the manual controls are physically connected to the blend door by cable or if its actuating a motor to move it like in the auto climate control, but it sounds like a blend door issue

If its connected by cable to the knob you may be lucky anough to find its just disconnected

Back