Strange noise coming from the front of my car when i stop pushing on the gas.

mneiland

:
04 Mazda 3 True Red, 08 Mazda Tribute Mecca Fire red.
Hey guys,

I got my 04 Mazda 3 back from my ex today (long story) the car has 201k on it, and when ever i take my foot off the gas, from about 15kmph+ i hear a strange humping sound. The only way i can explain this is if you took a hockey card and put it in the spokes of your bike.

Now it only dose this when you are not giving the car gas.... any ideas?

probably bad motor mounts. they go soft and allow the motor to move a lot. the sudden jerk probably makes the sound that your referring to. if its just like instant, thats probably it. if it continues after the moment you let the pedal off, then it may be something else idk.

yeah i have no idea what it is, it will keep going at any speed over 15kph and it sounds like plastic in a plastic can. very odd..

It's just your car telling you to keep up the zoom zoom. lol Seriously though check the MM's first.

Did you ever figure this issue out? Think I am having the same problem. After tightening down all the plastic in wheel wells, I put it on jack stands and realized the noise seems to be coming from the engine itself. I hear it when I let go of the gas pedal. Sounds like a hard plastic rattling near the top end of engine. There is no way the top half of this engine is plastic but it really does sound like plastic. Yes I removed the plastic engine cover on top and it really sounds like it is just under the center plugs area.
I have the 2.0l just under 100000 miles. I have only had the car 4 months and is my first issue. Really like it so hoping its not a blown engine.

Well never heard back but think I figured out what this is and I feel like an dumb a$$ now. We believe it is actually coming from the CV joint. I just had this issue a couple months ago on my 99 cougar so you would think I would know how to diagnose it. sounds so different then a bad CV. my farther in law is a mechanic and he showed me how the drive r side axel has some play when it shouldn't. The vibration is so bad it seems to echo through the engine. Fixing it this weekendand ill repost if I was wrong. By the way, whats up with different cv joints depending on the month my car was made in 05?

Back