stock intercooler or aftermarket

slomsprotege

:
2003 MSP
I took some measurements today, and know for a fact I can relocate the stock intercooler to the front and get piping for around 50 bucks, couplers for an added 30, so 80 dollars overall. but anyways, I can fab it my self(non-ghetto style) and get it to the front.

IS IT WORTH IT, i figured i might seeming the stock SMIC location is behind ALOT of bumper and stuff getting blocked. Plus it is small so it would combat lag pretty much the same. Or should i just get the piping and spend the extra 400 on an aftermarket intercooler. I would really like to avoid the 400 cuz im an IT lacky, not making that much ($20 an hour) and want to stay within budget.

I would appreciate any input, I embark on my endeavor this friday....

My buddy also gave me a Turbo-XS RFL BOV, so im hopin that sounds good, gonna have to relocate the maf im assuming as well....maybe eliminate the cat while its on the lift too. so much to do for one weekend.

From what I've read it all depends on how much power you want to get out of your msp. IIRC, if you're not going much over stock boost pressure you're better off with a SMIC, but if your looking for more power down the road a FMIC is the way to go. Besides, a FMIC is going to give your more surface area to cool the intake charge and give you nice, dense air.

Spend the $400 and get a nice one that'll last you a while, not only that, but IMO, they look a lot cooler to :p

I wouldnt think there would be any gain in relocatingb the stock intercooler to a front mount. If you are looking for cheap power, try an intercooler sprayer. Doesnt get you much, but combats heat soak and is cheap as hell.

Well at $20 an hour it would only take you half a work week, 20 hours, to get $400 (before taxes). I would go that route as I dont believe relocating the stocker would help out very much. It is just a cheaply designed and constructed intercooler.

damn, 20/hr and you can't afford a FMIC...

crashkelly said:
yeah seriously...I could afford mine a couple years ago when I had my crappy 12 dollar an hour job...

Maybe he doesn't want to live paycheck to paycheck? Likes having a nest-egg, maybe has a mortgage?

Just because you make decent money doesn't mean you have a ton to spend, otherwise my car would be done :(

i am sooo happy with my fmic, i would say go for the fmic. You would see a gain by relocating because the temps would drop for sure. But not only does the stocker not cool very well (due to location and size), it also doesn't flow very well either which can choke the car. If you want any decent power, or want to up the boost, you're going to want a bigger IC. You don't have to go huge, in fact since you're customizing it and not going for big numbers, i would stick with a smaller one that is square-ish in shape. But the stock is just not going to perform well at all.

Thanks a bunch for the heads up....damn, im learning so much from this site, this car is SO much more complicated than my old integra, but a MAJOR step up in quality. And the ladies love it.

yeah, 650 month for the house, then utils(water, trash, elec, gas), then med insurance, then groceries, then cell phone, cable, internet, the 30minute commute(gas).....it all adds up hella quik.....and then the wining and dining of the bishes, I swear a hooker would be cheaper to get to bed.

Oh and the nest egg I DID have, the Ex-Wife got.....commonwealths suck ass(virginia)

Damn ex wife explains it to me. What do you get out of the divorse? She gets money and you?

Thanks a bunch for the heads up....damn, im learning so much from this site, this car is SO much more complicated than my old integra, but a MAJOR step up in quality. And the ladies love it.

yeah, 650 month for the house, then utils(water, trash, elec, gas), then med insurance, then groceries, then cell phone, cable, internet, the 30minute commute(gas).....it all adds up hella quik.....and then the wining and dining of the bishes, I swear a hooker would be cheaper to get to bed.

Oh and the nest egg I DID have, the Ex-Wife got.....commonwealths suck ass(virginia)

I know how you feel man, it sucks! Even making good money, living expenses and the like suck it up so fast...by the time mods come around...well, you know how it goes, lol.

Girls are expensive too, a hooker would certainly be cheaper, you're right...plus you wouldnt have to listen to them and they wouldnt get offended when you ask them to leave, lol (drinks)

I know how you feel man, it sucks! Even making good money, living expenses and the like suck it up so fast...by the time mods come around...well, you know how it goes, lol.

Girls are expensive too, a hooker would certainly be cheaper, you're right...plus you wouldnt have to listen to them and they wouldnt get offended when you ask them to leave, lol (drinks)

Amen bro!! I wish I was single again... I was a ***** before I got married and didnt have to ask if they are mad, how was your day none of that bulls*** lol...Im by the border so we all would just to the horror house and have a blast!!!! Now she gets me mad and gives me lip I just leave zoom zoom....(bump)

IMO,

the problem witht he stock shoe box is not JUST the heatsoak.. but the flow capability.. you see, a stock SMIC vs custom msp SMIC theres 20 WHP more ... not because of heatsoak but because of better flow..

so putting the stock s*** in front is just patching up.. yes you get less heatsoak but still get that cork that flow cant go through well..

for 400$+/- do like me and get a custom msp SMIC.. 20 minutes to install and 20 WHP.. 445$ shipped at PG.

20whp? I somehow doubt that.... MAYBE with a bunch of other mods and upped boost. but you're right, it's wayyyy better than stock not just in cooling but also flow rate capability.

20whp? I somehow doubt that.... MAYBE with a bunch of other mods and upped boost.

per haps.. but look..

Dyno proven gains of 20 wheel horsepower and 15 pound feet of torque to the wheels!!! Not looking to spend twice as much on an FMIC kit? This custom crafted solution is a bar and plate core design for proven efficiency, maximum flow and best cooling. Ease of installation thanks to perfect fit with stock piping and OEM hardware.

seen here

http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_21_32_169&products_id=438

oh i believe it may happen if you have exhaust, intake, and EMS with extra boost. but i don't see a stock car + customMSP smic seeing 20hp added, even with intake/exhaust it's probably unlikely. Though it DEF. smooths things out and gives a solid boost in power. no doubt it's a great product!

Latest posts

Back