steering wheel vibration (not unbalanceod wheels)

:
Mazda MP3
So for about the last month I have had my a vibration from my steering wheel. Just like if your wheels were not balanced, but the thing is my wheels are balanced. I had the wheels balanced when I put on the new tires before the summer, and have had no problems until now. I am thinking 2 things could be causing this:

1. Damaged tire - I did hit a pretty big pothole about a week before the shaking started. Also, I need to add air to the wheels about every 2 weeks. Once I have all the tire pressures the same, the shaking decreases but does not go away. The Passengers front wheels looses air the fastest.

2. Wheel bearing - I have noticed that the Passengers front wheel has a harder time turning freely then the drivers side wheel. The shaking also started at the same time I did my front brakes. The passengers side wheel bearing looked more rusted then the drivers side at the time.

I have checked over both tires for any flat spots or bubbles in the sidewall and couldn't see or feel any. I hope its not my tires, cause I just replaced all 4 before the summer.

I guess my question is, could a bad wheel bearing cause shaking in the steering wheel? And if so, how to I check for a bad bearing.

Any help is appreciated.

I thought about that too, but the steering wheel is perfectly straight (at lower speeds when not shaking) and does not pull to any side. I also have alignments done/checked 4 times a year, due to having the unlimited alignments package.

I'd say either your wheels are unbalanced- how do you know it's not the wheels? Have you had them checked? Hitting a big pot hole could have knocked a weight off. If you're adding air every two weeks, either the tire is damaged or the wheel itself is damaged. Did you hit the pothole with the front passenger wheel?

Or since you mentioned brakes- did you properly bed in those new brakes? Did you change rotors at the same time? You could have severely uneven pad material deposits on the face of the rotor (commonly called "warped" rotors).

I'd say either your wheels are unbalanced- how do you know it's not the wheels? Have you had them checked? Hitting a big pot hole could have knocked a weight off. If you're adding air every two weeks, either the tire is damaged or the wheel itself is damaged. Did you hit the pothole with the front passenger wheel?

Or since you mentioned brakes- did you properly bed in those new brakes? Did you change rotors at the same time? You could have severely uneven pad material deposits on the face of the rotor (commonly called "warped" rotors).

The reason I replaced my brakes was due to warped rotors and needing new pads. I replaced both rotors and both pads, and followed the bedding procedures that came with the rotors.. I don't think its the weights, since the weights are "stuck on" from the inside of the wheel, and there was no problems with the balance until a month ago. But, I will probably get it checked soon. I am starting to lean more toward tire problem, but I cant see it or feel it.

Keep the ideas coming (thumb). Anyone have any input if it could be a wheel bearing?

the neighborhood bullies stuck on extra wheel weights when you weren't looking, and probably stole your chrome valve stem caps while they were at it.

I would say you were dead on ;), except I have the regular black valve stems... (stoned). Also the only bullies around here are a couple of 9 year olds.

I had a simmilar issue last summer I hit a raised manhole cover. i didnt notice anything wrong until about a week later when I got on the highway then I got some seriouse steering wheel vibration. I brought it to my freinds shop and it ended up being a slightly bent rim. i would suggest just bringing it to a local tire shop and have them rebalance the tires and get an alignment and check for any damage. town fair tire will do an alignment and tire balance for 60$

A bent rim would be awesome (silly). Gives me an excuse for new wheels. I don't see any visual problem with the rim, but those things need to be cheeked by a machine. I think I will get the wheels checked out on thursday. Any news on the wheel bearings?

thats why i put new rims on my car. put the car on a jack and grab the wheel side to side and see if theres any movement in the bearing. I would think if you hit something hard enough to throw your wheel bearing than more than likely you will have some rim/tire damage.

I don't think it would be from a hole. I think I could have possibly damaged it when removing the old rusted rotors. I used a hammer a couple times to get the old rotors off, because they were very rusted and seized. That and the fact that the bearing did not look to be in the best condition.

there is a possibility that you could have done some sorta damage if you were hitting them hard enough but highly unlikly. if you just did rotors theres a chance you can have a rotor outta balance. though i never had it happen to me personally I have know a few people to get out of whack new rotors that caused some wheel vibrations. i dont know if theres a way to check the balance of rotors or not but that may be somthing else to look into.

If it were the rotors, he would feel the vibrations when braking more than anything...

agreed, but sometimes it hard to tell and if the rotor was weighted slightly to one side as in up and down not side to side it was cause vibrtions only when driving not braking.

+1 for Damaged Rim or even tire. Separated treads can cause some massive vibrations. Even a slightly bent rim can cause your wheels to be out of run-out specifications which would results in some uncomfortable driving...

Also isn't the wheel bearings pressed into the hub covered by a few races and snap rings? I don't think you can visually see the bearings unless its like a serviceable bearing. (Like the old school take out the drums along the bearings kind of thing).

The proper way checking wheel bearing play, well popular method.. Would be placing your hands on the 12 and 6oclock position of the tire and pushing in and out. Side to side usually would detect if your outer or inner tie rod is fooked.

Bad shock?

I never thought of that. I was planning on replacing all of them after winter anyway. But they still seem in ok shape, not bottoming out or anything.

Still gonna try to make some time and head over to get both front wheels and tires checked for damage or imbalance tomorrow. Looks like its not the bearing, since nobody has heard of this, and I tried moving the wheel and it seemed solid.

Why do I always have wheel problems? First my civic, then the stock tires from the MP3, now after I replace all 4 tires, THIS!!! (argh) LOL

This one is quite obvious, and unlikely with low profile tires such as these, but you could simply just have a build up of dirt, mud, or even greace inside the rim. I got snow inside my rims right now and man, does it vibrate!

You could of also simply lost a wheel bearing. Glued on or not, thoes things come off.

So, #1, check for dirt, #2 get your tires ballanced.. on the ballancing machine you will be able to also tell if a) your tired is "fooked" as one put it, and b) your rim is bent.

If all seems ok after that then, it could possibly be a shock. But, odds are it is one of the above problems.

Back