Starter problem or what?

Hey all,

So this morning I had some interesting thing happen when I went to start my car.

It started, but as it was turning over it made the normal chugging sound and then made a sound as if it was just freely spinning with no combustion. Did that for a second or 2 (which seems long as hell when) and then fired up no problem.

What could be the cause of that? Last thing I want is to be stuck somewhere and not be able to start my car.

Thanks!

sounds like it is a starter. was it a Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound?. If so it probably didn't come in contact with the flywheel and got the pinion gear got stuck when trying to extend or retract.

Was this on the same start try or did you try to start it, stop, then tried again.

Last edited:
it usually happens when the car is warm, but not start/stop/start. Say for instance I get gas, or stop for lunch. The engine is warm, but the car has been sitting.

Someone on TOProtege suggested I lube the starter gear that connects to the flywheel as it may be dry and getting stuck.

yeah that's definitely starter. It might be a pain to grease it, I would just replace it. It may just keep happening and if you daily drive it, being stuck somewhere on your lunch break from work would suck.

Back