2009 CX-9 Intermittent starting problems - Do dealers/shops have machines to diagnose?

Intermittent starting problems - do dealers/shops have machines to diagnose exactly the issue(s)?

Once / twice a month you turn the key & all the lights on the dash go on but no sounds at all. No clicks, no starter sounds at all. Then you turn the key 4 more or 10 more times and it starts. Or leave it an hour and it starts?

I cleaned the battery terminals, the battery is 1.5 years old.
2009 cx-9 with 140,000 miles

not really, you can pretty much only diagnose it when it happens but it could be a faulty starter on it's way out.

Try to get a video of this. Show that to the dealership service writer when you take it in. You really want to avoid the technician saying, "could not duplicate."

I had the same exact problem. I thought at first it was the battery. Turned out to be the starter. This happened during the pandemic so my neighbor rocked the car back and forth in order to get it started. I didn't know that you can do that with an auto trans car. Took it to pep boys which was near by and paid 5 bills for it. Hasn't given me a problem since.

Back