Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Seat adjustment is one thing and most drivers won't notice it. But no Android Auto and Carplay when virtually every competitor is offering it? Sorry, but with the lack of seat adjustments, smartphone integration, 360 deg camera, pana roof, small interior and storage spaces (smaller than even my Mazda6), CX9 is not getting my hard earned $45K.

Great, now go away and buy something else like a KTM RC8 and go racing. Cars are so 2 dimensional. At least I can get airborne on my KTM dirt bike.

Seat adjustment is one thing and most drivers won't notice it. But no Android Auto and Carplay when virtually every competitor is offering it? Sorry, but with the lack of seat adjustments, smartphone integration, 360 deg camera, pana roof, small interior and storage spaces (smaller than even my Mazda6), CX9 is not getting my hard earned $45K.

Only about half the auto market supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay. The world's largest automaker doesn't support them. At least Mazda says they're working on it.

Consumer report's quick drive video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UigcJd7PVY

It basically closely reflects what's been discussed here.

"Mazda focused it's efforts on driving dynamics and missed a few details along the way"

As consumers, we just gotta try these out and see if those missed details are worth the driving dynamics. Regardless, it's a sweet ride!

Agreed! Life is too short to worry about little details. Even though I'm an engineer and certified gearhead, I'm still old fashioned and will test drive and request to take the car home overnight so I can "play" with all the controls and sit in every seat, open all the doors, look under the hood, etc. in my garage without the salesman to see if I can live with it for at least 3 yrs. There's nothing like actually driving it for extended periods than reading about it through internet blogs. Believe half of what you read and you'll be better off!

It's not the car makers...Apple and Google requirements of the car makers is what's holding things up

I was at my dealer this past week getting a schedule on arrival of my 16' CX-9 and the trailer hitch package for my CX-9 was already in. It comes with a 1-1/4" receiver but I'm just purchasing the wiring harness and ordered the hitch from etrailer.com. 2" receiver hitches are already available for the 16' CX-9. Draw-tite and Curt brands are already available. Its a lot less expensive than the Mazda 1-1/4" receiver.

Thanks for the info!

I think it is the car makers who limit the android auto/apple car play integration. they prob rather have customers overpay for the navigation unit they offer.

Honda claims the reason why the brand new pilot doesn't support it is because of mic integration, diff type of hardware mic is not compatible or some BS like that. even though the honda pilot infotainment is actually native android. i just dont buy it.

Also Toyota clearly stated they were not going to put android/apple in theirs because they rather focus on their crap Entune. Toyota's decision.

Browsing reviews around the internet, there are several claims from some of these reviewers that they HAVE confirmed through mazda officials that the cx9 does and will support android auto/car play and is upgradeable but no timetable

also so has it been confirmed no remote start on the standard keyfob?

Last edited:
Only about half the auto market supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay. The world's largest automaker doesn't support them. At least Mazda says they're working on it.

The world's largest auto maker is also lame and boring, isn't it? including Honda too

Great, now go away and buy something else like a KTM RC8 and go racing. Cars are so 2 dimensional. At least I can get airborne on my KTM dirt bike.

Ohh, how I wish I could justify a Superduke!

The world's largest auto maker is also lame and boring, isn't it? including Honda too

Seems to be working pretty well for them.

Internet backbenchers make it sound like almost all new vehicles come with Android/Apple integration when in fact that's not nearly the case.

When someone scratches a vehicle off their list just because of that then they are eliminating half their options.

I say baloney.

Fact of the matter is it's both. Automakers have to have a whole bunch of hardware and software components all work seamlessly with a 3rd party source. And we all know how often Android and iOS update and change. It's not at all easy.

I like to watch auto reviews of all kinds and I just watched one on the Kia Sportage. OK, so a cheap compact CUV, right? Little disappointing for us CX-9 followers to find out it comes better equipped (top trim).

Panoramic roof, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, 10 way adjustable seats, and it's faster. Amazing what Kia and Hyundai give you.

How is this car is supposed to be competing with the luxury segment when its sorely lacking features like pana roof, around view monitor, tilt-reverse memory mirrors, more adjustable seats, smart tailgate?

How is this car is supposed to be competing with the luxury segment when its sorely lacking features like pana roof, around view monitor, tilt-reverse memory mirrors, more adjustable seats, smart tailgate?

There's no tilt reverse mirror ? My 2013 cx-9 has this feature and I thought it was quite useful on a high suv ?!?!? Same for memory seats/mirror ? Really not available even on top trim ? My wife is much shorter than me, so that's a must have for me.
I think I will pass for this model year... These will surely come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

It's not trying to compete in the luxury segment. All of its competitors in the mainstream mid size CUV segment run $30-$47K. Explorer Platinum up to $54K. That said, there will always be shoppers that cross shop mainstream models with luxury badges.

If you look at luxury branded CUV's starting around $45K, you'll notice a lot of things missing that the loaded mainstream brands have. You'll be hard pressed to even get AWD. The XC-90 even deletes the 3rd row to start it around $45K.

What Mazda has done however is create the best interior, driving experience, and design in the segment in which it sits. It does stand up to the interior standards of luxury without the real cost of a luxury badge.

Seems unreasonable to me to expect Mazda to be the best in these categories while also expecting every last feature that other models offer while having plastic interiors for the same price.

Nice review. I didn't realize the fuel info is all in the infotainment screen now which is cool. The trunk storage in the jack area looks a little smaller without the compartments on the previous model.

Ha for some reason I thought 1st-gen CX-9 V6 is longitudinal-mounted. Yeah I did mean 3.7L V6 and 2.7L was a typo. But longitudinal-mounted V6 doesn't mean the water pump is easier to access. My 2001.5 VW Passat has longitudinal-mounted 2.8L V6 and you have to literally remove the whole front end to access the water pump which is driving by the timing belt (worst design ever by Audi!).

I guess I don't get $64,000 because I mistakenly said "longitudinal-mounted" "2.7L" V6? ;)

Back