Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Here you go!!!!
CX5 MEMORY SEAT

d0d4b36cb26068d50d32c4707436fa57.jpg
07cc797678d43330338805519b7d2cb8.jpg
Thanks for posting pictures. And you also said 6-way (not 4-way like CX-9?) power passenger seat is in newer 2016.5 CX-5 GT?

I was at my Mazda dealer last weekend checking out the new CX-9. I checked many 2016.5 CX-5 GT's on site and asked sales manager whether he'd heard any production changes on 2016.5 CX-5 adding the memory seat. Both answers were negative. I'm glad Mazda finally listened and started adding the memory seat feature in CX-5 as all other competitors offer this function. Unfortunately I can't have this feature we really want as the memory seat function is almost impossible to add by ourselves like paddle shifter even though all the parts are now may be available in the US. There're too many things involved and need to be changed.

Now Mazda should make immediate production change adding a true "8-way" power driver seat in CX-9 as advertised!

i had a chance to see the new cx9 in person. it is definitely as sexy as it looks in the photos.

Seeing it in person you can really see how much longer and bigger of a vehicle it really is. The videos and photos sometimes doesn't give you a true sense of the size of the vehicle.

They only had 2 models, a signature and a touring. The salesman said no one has any sport or grand touring models and wont for a while? I ignored it as I felt he was trying me to settle for the ones there as a sales tactic. There were markups on both vehicles. I believe they both had a $1700 dealer markup.

Everything in the interior in terms of quality is just like video reviews and photos illustrated. The important thing to me was the 3rd row. I wouldn't be sitting back there, but I needed to see how much room there was for kids and small adults. I'm 5'11 240 lbs. not small by any means. My head is grazing the ceiling. Rough roads and bumps I'm sure the top of my head will suffer. With the 2nd row in normal position, my knees are just about touching the back of the 2nd row. If you slide the 2nd row slightly forward it will help. The 3rd row is spacious enough to fit another person same size as me next to me without feeling overly squished, but again our heads and knees will suffer. Definitely more suited for kids or just anybody a little shorter. Prob folks 5'5 and under wouldn't complain much.

I will have to check out the Honda Pilot. Or see if we may just settle for a 5 seater like the CX-5. But with rumors of a new version coming out soon I might wait that out. CX-5 needs to have a power lift gate

My CX-5 is a Touring model. Only has a 6-way power seat ��

The CX-9 is beautiful and the interior design/build quality is very good. I just think for a car that is nearly 200 inches long to be that small on the inside is a design disaster.

The CX-5 is 178 inches long (21 inches shorter then the CX-9) yet second row leg room is identical (39.4 to 39.3) cargo space is 34.1 in the CX-5 and 38.4 in the CX-9 (3rd row folded) which is very comparable. That shouldn't be. They lost 10 cu ft over the previous gen. What were they thinking?? No wonder why Mazda wants you to concentrate on the drive. That, combined with the beautiful design, is the only justifiable selling point.

I need more room for thoes instances we need extra seats for people when relatives come to town, kids activities and friends, etc. I'm a big fan of Mazda, but this CX-9 is disappointing when it comes to useable space. I'm bummed.

YES!! I just posted, but just read yours and this is exactly how I felt when I finally saw it. Why even make it this big, if the inside is small. They should've just made this current CX-9 as short as the CX5, eliminate the 3rd row, but same style/design and new turbo motor, and call that the 2017 or 2018 CX-5 lol this CX-9 was on my radar as i need a new car with usuable 3rd row and cargo. I have to check out the honda pilot next. the new pilot and the new cx9 were my only options i was interested in.

With sites like truecar, Showing u real purchase value and in general public being sick of dealer experience. ...I wonder which manufacturer will first open some kind of direct sale option....we now know so much more about these cars than sales people. A lot of customers couldn't even care for a test drive...pick your options online, have it delivered to your door. Done. Have show room and service and basic sales staff for walk ins but personally I would love to be able to avoid the whole sales BS experience. Regardless, guys...please don't pay any mark up on these cars. It's daylight robbery, no way around it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

With sites like truecar, Showing u real purchase value and in general public being sick of dealer experience. ...I wonder which manufacturer will first open some kind of direct sale option....we now know so much more about these cars than sales people. A lot of customers couldn't even care for a test drive...pick your options online, have it delivered to your door. Done. Have show room and service and basic sales staff for walk ins but personally I would love to be able to avoid the whole sales BS experience. Regardless, guys...please don't pay any mark up on these cars. It's daylight robbery, no way around it

Doesn't Tesla do something similar by cutting out the dealer? Of course, a lot of states have laws where dealerships are a must and manufacturers can't sell directly to the consumer (welfare for dealers in my eyes).

Had no idea about regulations requiring cars to be sold through dealership. Interesting

New (horribly ugly) front end, new tall lights and trim pieces, and refreshed interior. Same engine, drivetrain, structure, and most body panels. That's what the industry calls a "refresh".

Looks like a Kia now. That is Fugly! Oh my gosh, how Acura (or Honda) has lost its way. To think that there was a time when I wouldn't even look at any other brands but Acura and Honda. I've owned Acura Integras, Legends and TLs. I've owned Honda Accords, Pilots, minivans and a Ridgeline. Something happened when they started making them in Alabama. From my experience, once Honda started making engines in the US and started making the minivans, Pilots and MDX in Alabama, the quality (and appearance) went down. Honda used to import all the engines and transmissions from Japan. Now they make them here. The NSX is the only good looking car in the lineup but it cost 150k.

i had a chance to see the new cx9 in person. it is definitely as sexy as it looks in the photos.

Seeing it in person you can really see how much longer and bigger of a vehicle it really is. The videos and photos sometimes doesn't give you a true sense of the size of the vehicle.

They only had 2 models, a signature and a touring. The salesman said no one has any sport or grand touring models and wont for a while? I ignored it as I felt he was trying me to settle for the ones there as a sales tactic. There were markups on both vehicles. I believe they both had a $1700 dealer markup.

Everything in the interior in terms of quality is just like video reviews and photos illustrated. The important thing to me was the 3rd row. I wouldn't be sitting back there, but I needed to see how much room there was for kids and small adults. I'm 5'11 240 lbs. not small by any means. My head is grazing the ceiling. Rough roads and bumps I'm sure the top of my head will suffer. With the 2nd row in normal position, my knees are just about touching the back of the 2nd row. If you slide the 2nd row slightly forward it will help. The 3rd row is spacious enough to fit another person same size as me next to me without feeling overly squished, but again our heads and knees will suffer. Definitely more suited for kids or just anybody a little shorter. Prob folks 5'5 and under wouldn't complain much.

I will have to check out the Honda Pilot. Or see if we may just settle for a 5 seater like the CX-5. But with rumors of a new version coming out soon I might wait that out. CX-5 needs to have a power lift gate

I'm not sure I'd trust the salesman either about available models. The dealer I was at a week ago had a GS-L model, which is basically the one up from base in Canada. No mark-up on it either. We didn't get into any negotiating as I was up front on saying I wasn't purchasing now but looking for the future. Just crunched basic numbers of trim levels to get an idea of what I'd be looking at. I'm curious to hear your impressions of the Pilot and its back seat. I haven't sat in either but noticed the Pilot is roomier in the 3rd row but the cushion is a lot lower.

Among all the oohhs and aahs I am going to be BRUTALLY HONEST. I was pretty much decided on buying the new CX9 until Mazda decided to DROP THE BALL big time on the interior space, luxury features like fully adjustable front seats, ventilated front and heated rear seats, panaromic roof, around view monitor, smart liftgate, etc. The car drives well no doubt but in this segment, families are looking for more luxury and features.

If you really want to look at luxury, checkout the new Sorento - great optimization of proportions, more spacious inside and a boatload of luxury features that require you paying upwards of 60K in luxury brands.

With CX-9, not sure what they were thinking. The car proportions are huge and the interior is tiny. What the hell is happening with all the empty spaces in the rest of the body. And such a long hood for a such a small engine. You can probably fit two of those 2.5T engines in there.

Cx 9 is shorter than old Gen and it has comparable amount of interior space with less cargo so there...that's what they were thinking

Cx 9 is shorter than old Gen and it has comparable amount of interior space with less cargo so there...that's what they were thinking

Sure, the new CX-9 is 1" shorter than the outgoing version, but most of that is due to the front and rear bumper resigns. There basically is no front or rear bumper on the new version and I think any light accident will prove costly. The car to me looks physically longer in person than the 1st gen.

Among all the oohhs and aahs I am going to be BRUTALLY HONEST. I was pretty much decided on buying the new CX9 until Mazda decided to DROP THE BALL big time on the interior space, luxury features like fully adjustable front seats, ventilated front and heated rear seats, panaromic roof, around view monitor, smart liftgate, etc. The car drives well no doubt but in this segment, families are looking for more luxury and features.

If you really want to look at luxury, checkout the new Sorento - great optimization of proportions, more spacious inside and a boatload of luxury features that require you paying upwards of 60K in luxury brands.

With CX-9, not sure what they were thinking. The car proportions are huge and the interior is tiny. What the hell is happening with all the empty spaces in the rest of the body. And such a long hood for a such a small engine. You can probably fit two of those 2.5T engines in there.

I can understand some of your frustrations but if we look at the actual numbers, the CX-9's interior isn't as you and others suggest.

The CX-9 has more interior volume than the Sorento. It has more 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the Sorento and more cargo space behind 3rd row.

The CX-9 has more 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the #2 vehicle in the segment, the Highlander. It has the same front row legroom as the Highlander and similar headroom.

Looking the big bloated Pilot we find the same front and middle leg room as the CX-9. Same front headroom and hip room. The Pilot adds room for the 3rd row and cargo but as a result is bulbous looking and the closest to a minivan if that floats your boat.

Also keep in mind the CX-9's 8.9" ground clearance. Most in segment. Hard to believe it's right there with the off road ready Grand Cherokee.

As for the CX-9's beautiful long hood, it seems people think this is some sort of design mistake. The hood's length is very intentional even with no possible V-6 coming. It what separates this design from all the other minivan alternatives. Look at what the Pilot's stubby nose does for its proportions. The long hood is the key element of Kodo design.

When comparing this to the feature filled Sorento SX-L ($46K) it is easy to see why many shoppers might pass up the CX-9. Forgetting that it does the basic elements of the automobile better. THE DRIVE. Designer design inside and out. Luxurious materials which is more defining of luxury than a couple more gadgets. Better fuel efficiency and more.

I can understand some of your frustrations but if we look at the actual numbers, the CX-9's interior isn't as you and others suggest.

The CX-9 has more interior volume than the Sorento. It has more 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the Sorento and more cargo space behind 3rd row.

The CX-9 has more 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the #2 vehicle in the segment, the Highlander. It has the same front row legroom as the Highlander and similar headroom.

Looking the big bloated Pilot we find the same front and middle leg room as the CX-9. Same front headroom and hip room. The Pilot adds room for the 3rd row and cargo but as a result is bulbous looking and the closest to a minivan if that floats your boat.

Also keep in mind the CX-9's 8.9" ground clearance. Most in segment. Hard to believe it's right there with the off road ready Grand Cherokee.

As for the CX-9's beautiful long hood, it seems people think this is some sort of design mistake. The hood's length is very intentional even with no possible V-6 coming. It what separates this design from all the other minivan alternatives. Look at what the Pilot's stubby nose does for its proportions. The long hood is the key element of Kodo design.

When comparing this to the feature filled Sorento SX-L ($46K) it is easy to see why many shoppers might pass up the CX-9. Forgetting that it does the basic elements of the automobile better. THE DRIVE. Designer design inside and out. Luxurious materials which is more defining of luxury than a couple more gadgets. Better fuel efficiency and more.

I agree wholeheartedly. Folks you need to drive this vehicle and then drive the others. And not just around the block. No comparison. it just feels more solid than the others in its class. People get caught up in the numbers. If you're just concerned about getting from point A to point B, then get one of the others. You just want an appliance. This is a drivers vehicle, pure and simple. Like I said in a previous post, if you're so concerned about having enough space or have little ones, you need a minivan. Its what my wife drove for 9 years until the kids were teenagers. Or maybe a Tahoe or Suburban if you dont want a minivan.

They definitely dropped the ball in terms of interior space. If this is your first CX-9 then the changes between the previous gen may not be a big deal. I debated hard on waiting for the 2016 but I'm sorry the third row space is equally important as the drive experience to me.

... Folks you need to drive this vehicle and then drive the others. And not just around the block. No comparison.
Yeah for a $45K+ vehicle it can't even make different drivers feel comfortable, not to mention a test drive! Although Mazda clearly stated this new CX-9 has "8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support", but it's actually a 6-way adjustment like those 6-way power driver seat in cheaper Touring CX-5! When you bring the seat up, it does not just lift it up vertically but instead causes the back of the bottom cushion to be raised more than the front. So, if you raise the seat too much the bottom cushion becomes more flat.

Yeah for a $45K+ vehicle it can't even make different drivers feel comfortable, not to mention a test drive! Although Mazda clearly stated this new CX-9 has "8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support", but it's actually a 6-way adjustment like those 6-way power driver seat in cheaper Touring CX-5! When you bring the seat up, it does not just lift it up vertically but instead causes the back of the bottom cushion to be raised more than the front. So, if you raise the seat too much the bottom cushion becomes more flat.

Agreed, EXACTLY, I sat in one and as you raise the vertical adjustment,
it's almost as if the back is pushing you forward and you're sliding off the seat base,

doesn't matter how good the engine or car is; Major fail if you don't feel comfortable driving in it.
I would wait, I'm sure Mazda will fix this in the future.

Some may say it's a small thing, agreed but not if you're paying $40K+, that's unacceptable.

Agreed, EXACTLY, I sat in one and as you raise the vertical adjustment,
it's almost as if the back is pushing you forward and you're sliding off the seat base
Some may say it's a small thing, agreed but not if you're paying $40K+, that's unacceptable.
Especially it's false advertising!

Sounds like you guys want an Audi Q7 for 45K. You ain't gonna get it. I bought my daughter a CX-5 when she went to college and traded it in for a VW Tiguan after 1 year. Just didn't feel like my daughter was safe in it. It had to go back to the dealer no less than 3 times for various technical bulletins and recalls. Vibrating side mirrors, vibrating hood, fuel filler line too close to exhaust. And I just remembered since you guys keep complaining about the power seat adjustment, that CX-5 went through 3 seat power seat motors because it made grinding noises as the seat was being adjusted. My daughter only weighs 110 lbs so I'm not sure what was going on there. Sky active or not, I hope Mazda has learned their lesson in shaving too much weight in order to get fuel mileage. The 2016 CX-9 I had for week long test drive seemed solid. I wanted to keep it but the wife did not like the Signature color combo. Here in the south, a white exterior with sand interior is the best color for heat rejection. We're waiting on her GT AWD that's supposed to be here in a couple of weeks. If the tilt adjustment for the seat bottom is a big deal for you guys, just get another vehicle. I don't think Mazda is gonna make a change until a mid cycle refresh. It seems only the german auto makers can make changes quickly. This has been discussed enough.(yupnope)

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys want an Audi Q7 for 45K. You ain't gonna get it.

c'mon, seriously ? $45K and you want to accept mediocrity ?

of course, we don't expect an Audi Q7 (although I prefer CX-9 in style and CX-9 is probably more reliability)

but we're not asking for high tech features here, even cheap brand new <$20K cars have TRUE 8 way adjustable seats.

Back