Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Most owners of TDI that I have talked to are real happy they have them.

I absolutely love my 2010 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. 40 mpg in mixed driving, fun to drive, top-notch build quality, not a single issue in 96k miles. Well, the radio died but that gave me an excuse to add a new CarPlay unit, so I consider that a win. :D

Has anyone considered purchasing a CX-9 in Canada and bringing it over into the US? With an exchange rate of $1.31 CDN to $1 US, the MSRP of a CX-9 Signature is about $40K US ($52K CDN), a $4K discount without even negotiating. It just goes lower from there depending on one's negotiation skills. I think a GT is about $36,300 US and AWD is standard in Canada for all trims except the base.

And it comes with a heated steering wheel, which apparently isn't even available in the US.

Acura MDX is a good 3-row CUV alternative. You usually can get one for good price. Two friends got it recently for $40K~$45K almost full loaded after they checked CX-9 out. 290 hp 3.5L V6 has good power. With 9-speed AT and "Idle-Stop" it has EPA 20/27/23 for FWD and 19/26/22 (city/hwy/comb) for SH-AWD. The only thing I don't like is the timing belt which requires routine replacement.
I've looked at the MDX, please note that it requires premium fuel to get that extra 30hp over the Pilot. We have 2 2016 Pilots in our company fleet and the 9 speed auto seems to hunt a lot. Really annoying. Its reminds me of driving the Honda Odysseys we use to have. On the highway, the road noise is intrusive in the Pilot. Premium is up to 60 cents more per gallon than regular. I have not seen 20 mpg in town driving. 25 was the most on business trip on the interstate. Please also note that you do not get LED headlights in the Pilot unless you get the Elite Edition. With 4WD, that vehicle is 49K.
Well, SkyActiv-G 2.5L turbo in CX-9 needs premium too to get maximum 250 hp @ 5,000 rpm. If regular it rated only 227 hp @ 5,000 rpm. Its low end torque is good, rated 310 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm, but the engine will soon run out of breath at 4,000 rpm and after 5,000 rpm to 6,300 rpm red-line it's a drag.

On the other hand, you still can use regular on Acura MDX, just you won't get rated 290 hp @ 6,300 rpm. I always believe there's no replacement for displacement. I'd prefer a V6 instead of a smaller displacement turbo engine for heavier vehicles. I still don't trust turbo setup for longevity as the turbo charger with very high temperature is an additional device waiting for replacement even though the reliability on turbo technology has been improved.

With 9 gears, hunting shouldn't be too much an issue even if it does happen. MDX has "Jewel Eye" LED headlights and LED taillights even on base model. It's smaller than Honda Pilot and the fuel economy is a little better. The interior feels bigger than CX-9 as Honda is always good on cabin space utilization. It's a luxury CUV from Honda so it's definitely quieter than Honda Pilot on the road. There're many features included even on base model, and materials used feels higher quality than the 1st-gen CX-9. It has longer warranty than Mazda's too. Acura MDX is a good alternative for 3-row CUVs with good price. As I mentioned previously. two friends wanted a 3-row CUV and checked both 1st-gen Mazda CX-9 and Acura MDX, both went MDX for more luxurious feeling and reasonable priceed at $40K+.

With 9 gears, hunting shouldn't be too much an issue even if it does happen. MDX has "Jewel Eye" LED headlights and LED taillights even on base model. It's smaller than Honda Pilot and the fuel economy is a little better. The interior feels bigger than CX-9 as Honda is always good on cabin space utilization. It's a luxury CUV from Honda so it's definitely quieter than Honda Pilot on the road. There're many features included even on base model, and materials used feels higher quality than the 1st-gen CX-9. It has longer warranty than Mazda's too. Acura MDX is a good alternative for 3-row CUVs with good price. As I mentioned previously. two friends wanted a 3-row CUV and checked both 1st-gen Mazda CX-9 and Acura MDX, both went MDX for more luxurious feeling and reasonable priceed at $40K+.

That 9 speed is an issue. My neighbor's Honda Odyssey Elite has been in the shop several times for repair of that transmission. Don't get me wrong I've owned several Acuras in the past along with Hondas. I'm a big fan of Honda because of their heritage in racing Formula 1 but their weakest link are their transmissions. 2000 - 2004, Honda had to replace a bunch of transmissions in their Odysseys. Best transmission out there is the Aisin 6 or 8 speed that's in the Mazda, VW, Audi and Porche Cayenne. My son drives a VW GTI with a boosted turbo engine that has almost 200,000 miles on it. No turbo trouble whatsoever. Turbo technology has improved a lot over the last 20 years.

I'm digressing so I'll stick to the topic at hand. I priced out and test drove the MDX about a month or so ago. If you equip it with the same options comparable to the CX-9 Sig, it is well over 50K. Please go check this out. It drives a little better than the Pilot but it still feels like a minivan. Even the wife, who knows nothing about vehicles, said it reminds her of her minivan.

To each their own, I suppose. (burnout)

I'm a big fan of Honda because of their heritage in racing Formula 1 but their weakest link are their transmissions. 2000 - 2004, Honda had to replace a bunch of transmissions in their Odysseys.

The 2000-2003 Acura TL transmissions were problematic too...

Hi everyone,

I had the first gen MDX when it came out. Now, I have a 2004 Acura TL that needs to go ;) So I've been an Acura guy. The current MDX does kinda feel like a minivan. It also isn't built in Japan, which makes it less appealing to me.

However, I've been cross shopping the MDX and the CX-9. I can lease the MDX Tech for less than the CX-9 Signature. I'm putting a lot down and trading my TL.

Hard decision. I think the MDX is recognized as a more premium vehicle. I also think it has more oomph at high speed. Conversely it is boring. Plus I hate the two screen Honda dash. Reminds me of an Odyssey. Not sure what to do.

And, as crazy as it sounds, I am exploring the lease price on a lower optioned F-Pace.

Last edited:
I test drove the CX-9 three times and put a deposit down on a Touring with the Convenience Package. We are picking it up tomorrow and will be trading in our ’06 Odyssey. We cross-shopped against the Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, and Acura MDX.

The first thing I will say is to re-iterate jrtoureg’s statement – if you really are concerned about 3rd row space and usability, do yourself a favor and get a minivan. Our youngest of two kids is now 16 so we don’t need that much space anymore. But the last 10 years with the Odyssey were very pleasant. I am very much a car guy but can also appreciate the purity of the Odyssey’s design mission.

OK, that being said, I will attempt address some of the comments above (not trying to discount anyone’s input – just adding my take on things):

Non-tilting seat:
The seat cushion does not tilt. The further you raise it, the more it seems to “lean” forward. At its highest position, I could see how that would be an issue. However, at 5’10”, I have it low enough that it is no problem. Give it a try, but I tend to think this is a non-issue for the vast majority people. I find the seats to be very comfortable overall.

Overall Space:
As stated above, 3rd row space is smallish (even when compared to the Ford and Honda though not the MDX). Ours will be folded flat the vast majority of the time. When folded, overall volume is sufficient for us in daily use. For major road trips where we invariably over pack, we’ll plan to use a roof box.

Materials Quality:
I found the leather quality to be superior for its class. Both the Honda and Ford leather felt far cheaper. I’ll even go out on a limb and say it surpassed that of the MDX. I also sat in a Signature – extra nice!

The plastics far surpass the Ford and Honda. It simply has a quality feel – soft touch abounds. Both the Ford and Honda had far more visibly cheap plastic and many placed your hands would wind up come in contact with it. I’d put it on par with the MDX if not higher.

Steering Feel:
It has electric power-assisted steering. As such, steering feel may seem compromised when comparing to hydro-power assisted steering. Mind you, for its design mission, I found it fine. I will say the steering feel was better than the Ford or Honda.

Exterior Design:
Highly subjective. I like the CX-9 (soul red!). I like the Explorer, too. I find the Honda frumpy and the MDX flat out ugly.

Power:
Great low-end torque. Upper rpm not awful, but the motor just doesn’t scream to redline. That is the well-publicized trade-off that for this class of vehicle, makes perfect sense.

As a 4-banger, it is a bit raspier than the Ford or Honda at higher rpm but perfectly fine. The MDX is smoother still. But again, how often are you approaching redline?

Driving Impression:
Good reactions yet smooth and refined ride. I purposely avoided the GT with the 20” wheels. Here in Minnesota, I am unwilling to sacrifice ride quality on our pot-holed roads for a vehicle of this type. Also, very quiet cruiser.

Hope this helps…

I was cross shopping couple years old mdx and cx 9 before I bought mazda...premium or not..mdx did nothing better and it rode way worse than cx 9 with comparable amount of miles. I really love the brand and Noone does tech. Electronic features like Acura but it just feels like gloryfied honda...rides like honda. It does have best awd on the market though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The local dealer has 1 touring in stock. Looked pretty nice in person, but didn't get a chance to see the inside because no salesmen were around.

They also marked it up $3000 over sticker so I may be playing a waiting game...

^ Funk that. Go see Ferman Mazda over in Brandon. Sure it's a trek for you, but worth it. From personal experience they don't engage in such practices. MSRP on a "new" model or refresh (think, MX-5) when first in is one thing, but eventually inventory catches up and then it's time to talk prices closer to "invoice" (esp for current Mazda owners). Good luck!

Been lurking on here for a while and absolutely love the new CX-9 as we will be needing a larger vehicle soon. One suprise I have about the Signiture trim is the lack of ventilated/cooled front seats. Every top trim level vehicle out there has them now. I'm shock that the CX-9 doesn't even offer them. My wife has them on her must list, so I'm highly bummed about these. Also, I noticed the heated steering wheel button seems to be gone. I know I saw it on pre production models... Another item I'm surprised about is the lack of heated rear seats. Definitely not a deal breaker or a need, but I'm once again surprised that the top trim doesn't offer them like most vehicles these days do.

^ This. And why only a 4-way power passenger seat on the top trim? The lack of up/down capability on our '15 is a definite con for me when I'm occupying it.

I test drove the CX-9 three times and put a deposit down on a Touring with the Convenience Package. We are picking it up tomorrow and will be trading in our ’06 Odyssey. We cross-shopped against the Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, and Acura MDX.

The first thing I will say is to re-iterate jrtoureg’s statement – if you really are concerned about 3rd row space and usability, do yourself a favor and get a minivan. Our youngest of two kids is now 16 so we don’t need that much space anymore. But the last 10 years with the Odyssey were very pleasant. I am very much a car guy but can also appreciate the purity of the Odyssey’s design mission.

OK, that being said, I will attempt address some of the comments above (not trying to discount anyone’s input – just adding my take on things):

Non-tilting seat:
The seat cushion does not tilt. The further you raise it, the more it seems to “lean” forward. At its highest position, I could see how that would be an issue. However, at 5’10”, I have it low enough that it is no problem. Give it a try, but I tend to think this is a non-issue for the vast majority people. I find the seats to be very comfortable overall.

Overall Space:
As stated above, 3rd row space is smallish (even when compared to the Ford and Honda though not the MDX). Ours will be folded flat the vast majority of the time. When folded, overall volume is sufficient for us in daily use. For major road trips where we invariably over pack, we’ll plan to use a roof box.

Materials Quality:
I found the leather quality to be superior for its class. Both the Honda and Ford leather felt far cheaper. I’ll even go out on a limb and say it surpassed that of the MDX. I also sat in a Signature – extra nice!

The plastics far surpass the Ford and Honda. It simply has a quality feel – soft touch abounds. Both the Ford and Honda had far more visibly cheap plastic and many placed your hands would wind up come in contact with it. I’d put it on par with the MDX if not higher.

Steering Feel:
It has electric power-assisted steering. As such, steering feel may seem compromised when comparing to hydro-power assisted steering. Mind you, for its design mission, I found it fine. I will say the steering feel was better than the Ford or Honda.

Exterior Design:
Highly subjective. I like the CX-9 (soul red!). I like the Explorer, too. I find the Honda frumpy and the MDX flat out ugly.

Power:
Great low-end torque. Upper rpm not awful, but the motor just doesn’t scream to redline. That is the well-publicized trade-off that for this class of vehicle, makes perfect sense.

As a 4-banger, it is a bit raspier than the Ford or Honda at higher rpm but perfectly fine. The MDX is smoother still. But again, how often are you approaching redline?

Driving Impression:
Good reactions yet smooth and refined ride. I purposely avoided the GT with the 20” wheels. Here in Minnesota, I am unwilling to sacrifice ride quality on our pot-holed roads for a vehicle of this type. Also, very quiet cruiser.

Hope this helps…

nice review, were you able to get anything off MSRP on the car? Do you mind sharing the price?

You should never put money down on a lease!

+1.

Mazda has 1.9% APR for 60 months incentive for 2016 CX-9. If putting a lot of money down, just buy and finance. Actually, if qualified for 1.9%, I would put little money down too. Think of it as investing money and getting 1.9% return. So, if you have debt that has higher interest or investment that returns more than 1.9%, I'd put the money there.

When I bought our CX-9, I traded in a vehicle. I had them pay me in cash for my trade-in and financed the entire CX-9 with Mazda's 0% APR for 60 months incentive.

2016 Mazda CX-9

Went to our Mazda dealer with wife today and checked out the new CX-9. They have a Snowflake White Pearl Touring with Premium Package on the showroom floor. We also looked a Machine Gray CX-9 Signature AWD parked at outside. Both of us think this new CX-9 looks beautiful! The salesman said the selling price is MSRP right now and they have another 2 GT's and and Touring's in the back.

Firstly I verified that 2016.5 CX-5 GT doesn't offer 2-position memory driver seat and 6-way power passenger seat. What kids_dad said earlier was false.
Wow...check the built date of your friends 2016 CX5 ..GT built after April 1st is 2016.5 and has standard equipment Memory Driver Seat with 2 memory settings and 6-way power passenger seat.

Secondly, "8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support" clearly stated in CX-9's sales material is false advertising! The driver seat definitely has only 6-way adjustments: seat slide, height adjustment, and seat recline. Mazda CX-3, CX-5, Mazda6 all say "8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support" and they all have front height adjustment of seat bottom function which support the seat bottom tilting. So why the same 8-way power driver's seat on most expensive CX-9 from Mazda has in fact is "6-way" power driver's seat with power lumbar support?

Thirdly, still can't get over the high-and-wide front center console. The shift level in fact blocked the HVAC control while in Park position.

Finally, the all-black interior design in white CX-9 makes me feel everything is so dark inside and hard to see things in the cabin. I really wish Mazda can offer more color selections such as gray for interior, not just using black color to cover everything inside the cabin.

I guess the totally redesigned and soon to be released 2017 Acura MDX is worth the wait to check it out. At least Acura finally dumped the ugly thick chrome bar at front and rear as their signature design for Acura. The new front fascia from 2017 MDX looks different and much better than current ones.

To be fair, the 2017 MDX will not be considered "totally redesigned." It's just a mid cycle refresh. The front grill is redesigned, but interior layout, powertrain, and technology will be little changed.

To be fair, the 2017 MDX will not be considered "totally redesigned." It's just a mid cycle refresh. The front grill is redesigned, but interior layout, powertrain, and technology will be little changed.
I guess I got caught up by Acura's sales materials. But I'd still call it a "totally redesign" personally on 2017 MDX when Acura finally dumped so-ugly and bold signature design with new face of Acura — the diamond pentagon grille. ;)

The difference between "totally redesign" and "facelift" is blurring nowadays. For example, the 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5 still has the same engine and transmission, and many re-used parts. Would you call it "totally redesigned"?

Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time even with its recent ugly design. At least the luxurious feelings and features are there even if you get a base model which cost only $43,015 MSRP.

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-exterior-34front-white.ashx

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-exterior-34rear-white-forest.ashx

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-dashboard.ashx

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-interior-seats.ashx

Last edited:
I guess I got caught up by Acura's sales materials. But I'd still call a "totally redesign" personally on 2017 MDX when Acura finally dumped so-ugly and bold signature design with new face of Acura — the diamond pentagon grille. ;)

The difference between "totally redesign" and "facelift" is blurring nowadays. For example, the 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5 still has the same engine and transmission, and many re-used parts. Would you call it "totally redesigned"?

Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time even with its recent ugly design. At least the luxurious feelings and features are there even if you get a base model which cost only $43,015 MSRP.

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-exterior-34front-white.ashx

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-exterior-34rear-white-forest.ashx

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-dashboard.ashx

acura-future-vehicles-mdx-interior-seats.ashx

You can think of it as a total redesign, but it's not. New (horribly ugly) front end, new tall lights and trim pieces, and refreshed interior. Same engine, drivetrain, structure, and most body panels. That's what the industry calls a "refresh".

I think the vibrating mirror issue was only on the CX-5 models. I'm on my 3rd CX-9 and had never had this problem. My daughter's CX-5, on the other hand, had to go back to the dealer to fix the vibrating side mirrors and hood. Both items had to be modified to keep them from vibrating. I hope the new CX-9 will not be as "flimsily" built as the CX-5. Got rid of the CX-5 after 6 months for a VW Tiguan, which is built a lot more solidly and more fun to drive plus it has Apple carplay and Android car.

As I'm typing this reply, my dealer just informed me that my 2016 CX-9 GT just arrived at the dealership. I guess I'll be playing hooky from work this afternoon. :)

Well, guess what: the driver side mirror is vibrating thereby distorting the picture. I just got back from a 1500ml test drive. The other complaint I have is that the drivers seat doesn't tilt, even my VW Passat does that!!
What I also noticed is that the Blind Spot Monitoring seems now to be depended on the speed you pass a vehicle. First I thought it may be defective but if you pass past a certain speed, it doesn't trigger the warning light as it had in previous CX9s.
What I do like is the radar assisted cruise control, it works well for me. The NAV takes some time to get used to since I had the TomTom version before. Gas milage is above 23MPG on the highway at about 75mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back