Speeds for Upshifting & Downshifting your Manual Tranny

Caliche

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT; 2014 Mazda6 GT; 2014 Mazda6 T
This may seem a silly question but I'm just curious to know, for those of you who have the 2014 Mazda6 with a manual transmission, at what speeds are your regularly shifting up and down? The Owner's Manual gives several recommendations depending on country, including one when "coasting" (which are lower speeds for shifting than the other recommendations at increasing speed versus coasting), but I wonder why the differences in recommended speeds for the U.S. versus Canada and/or Mexico, etc. I mean, isn't the need to shift at certain speeds on the same type of vehicle the same regardless of geographical location?

Without being exactly accurate, I usually go from 0 to 15 mph in 1st, 15 to 25 mph in 2nd, 25 to 35 mph in 3rd, 35 to 45 mph in 4th, 45 to 55 mph in 5th, and 55mph and over in 6th gear (give or take + or - in each range) and have not noticed hesitation or overworking of the engine. The reverse on the downshifting.

Also, if you're driving say at 40 mph in a suburban area, traffic is light or clear and you're maintaining this speed to stay at the speed limit (also at 40 mph), do you just keep it in 4th gear even on long stretches or do you actually shift into 5th (or even up to 6th) while staying at 40 mph?

Thanks!

I don't own a manual 6, but I have driven stick my whole(driving) life I was living in the Netherlands. In all that time I have never shifted based on speed, always just on engine sound. In a hurry: revv it up quite a bit before moving to next gear. Relax mode: simply shift up to next gear asap.

I don't own a manual 6, but I have driven stick my whole(driving) life I was living in the Netherlands. In all that time I have never shifted based on speed, always just on engine sound. In a hurry: revv it up quite a bit before moving to next gear. Relax mode: simply shift up to next gear asap.

Thanks Jrabakker, and you're right, manual shifting is mostly done by feel and engine sound. Just wondering how others do it.

Back