2011 CX-9 Engine / Transmission cuts out in 6th gear

No issues driving 1st - 5th gear. Auto transmission cuts out power in 6th gear, downshifts to 3rd and then will allow acceleration back up to 60 mph. Seems almost like a control / governor has been put on the engine to not allow it to go over 60 mph. Push on gas pedal in 6th and nothing, but then wait and intermittant power. Drove again later and issue did not re-occur, able to accelerate to 70mph no issues. Only at high speeds on highway, intermittant issue. - note, 129k miles, well maintained, recently replaced crankshift position sensor to address wrench light issue. Cool temperatures, Chicago fall weather. Wrench light still goes on / off. When power cuts out, it's like it's not getting gas, but it only happened at higher speeds / 6th gear, so not a fuel filter or valve issue.

Seems like an electrical system / controls issue, but not sure which part controls acceleration / throttle above 5th gear? Thoughts?

I have a 2011 CX-9. FWD, 144k miles.
Problem:
From take off, smooth run 1st to 6th gear. However, at highway speed ~60 MPH on 6th gear... If I have been cruising at that speed, and I want to pass someone (Step on the gas) the it stalls/jerks/hesitates.
If I double / triple tap the gas pedal, just a bit, it seems to help.
If I shift to manual and down to 5th gear, no problem. It takes off. I move it back to auto, no issue.
If I don't double / triple tap or manually down shift, and just push on the gas, it acts like it is losing power and the check engine light starts to blink.
If I move to the right lane, and slow down, the check engine light will stop blinking.

Took it to a reputable transmission shop here in the Houston area. I was told that they were able to confirm that the torque converter kicks in as / when expected. In their opinion, this is not a transmission problem, but rather a performance problem.

No transmission codes stored, even after the blinking check engine light.
There are 2 EVAP related codes (P0457 and P0455) that has been a pain to address.
Gas tank cap replaced with a Mazda Original one.
Purge Valve Selenoid replaced.
Canister and pipes for the EVAP is what is left to check.

Performance is driven by:
Air intake (MAF sensor?, Air Filter, what else - purge selenoid? )
Gas (fuel pump, filter, ??)
Spark plugs
Coils
Cables
Anything else?

Question is: what is it that the manual shifting forces (on engine performance) that automatic doesn't?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RicarP

Upvote 0
Back