So, why did you guys chose an MSP to mod?

Got caught up in her looks before I realized that she doesn't put out unless you put forth alot of time, money, and effort. Although even when you do your still left sweaty, frustrated and craving more. Essentially the MSP is a Golddigger and I'm the chump who keeps giving her money...

went to go buy a WRX, they sold it out from under me and the MSP had just gotten traded in. test drove it, and bought it the same day.

i had a jetta, friend had a spicy...loved how the car looked...and then he took me for a ride in it...handled extremely well...looked into getting one, my wife at the time stuck me with a budget...and the msp was about 4K too high...so i bought a p5...still lusting for a spicy...then i bought an mp3...modded the hell out of both of them, but still wanted the spicy...then i ran across this one on the forum...it was completely stock and VERY well taken care of, so...i bought it. it's fun...it's pretty quick now...but doesn't handle nearly as well as my mp3.

i didn't intend on modding this at all...but then the turbo went out...i replaced it myself and didn't feel like fighting to get the mani/turbo/dp apart, so i just replaced all of it. since i've been modding 3rd gens for 5 years, i felt comfortable playing with this one...my friend has had 2...and i've learned from his mistakes.

Last edited:
I had a 96 Jetta Autotragic, with plans of a turbo and manual tranny swap, but found out about the MSP in SCC i think. After that I compiled tons of articles, information, and web info on the MSP, then went searching. The first day I drove an MSP i also testdrove an SRT4, GTI, and an R32 for s****-n-giggles. The neon and R32 were definatly faster, but one was expensive, the other was....well a neon. Went back to the dealer that next day and the silver MSP i drove was gone. 1 week later they got a titanium in. that night I signed papers, and drove off, b4 they even put a price in the window. The MSP had the perfect balance of handling/power/looks/and potential, atleast in my opinion. Fast forward 4 yrs after ownership and I hit a deer or something and totaled the damn thing. Sure its not the perfect car for everyone, but it has an amazing balance to it.

Started when I got my first car which was a 94 Celica. I started working on it and got in to modding. Swapped drum for disc in rear and was saving money to do a JDM engine swap(3sgte) which would put it at 255/255 hp/tq. All set to go working on that and my buddy's car died and he was in dire need so I made the sacrifice and sold the celica to him. Bought me a 01 Infinity G20 automatic. I had just graduated college and thought maybe its time to buy a 4 door and get out of the tuning world...
After 7 months of driving a grandpa car (its not really, but I love stick and the sweet handling of the celica) I wanted a new car. Just about every day on my way to work I would see a car I had no idea what it was. The rims were awesome, tinted windows on gray body, and a rear wing. After a month I finally wrote down what it was and started to read about it. Turns out it is exactly what I wanted: a stock turbo car that handles well that I can tune, and is meant to be tuned(IMO). Found one on autotrader for a steal (TXRXS's on here I found out later) Drove to INDY and bought it that day. Have enjoyed it ever since.

Its the perfect balance stock: Looks, handling, quick, a DD and great price.

thats hilarious, i drove from IN to KN and you went the other way lol. I guess I got the car cause it was 8k for a stock turbo car with amazing handling that only had 37k on the clock, and the 'common issues' that i read up on didn't seem that bi a deal...A couple noises, a couple squeeks, and a few things to swap out to make it ship shape. World of difference from the 00 LX I had previously :D which i sold to the GF for the price of a Vibrant, intake, and some motor mounts and other misc stuff..

I got my MSP on a whim. I didnt actually know it existed.

I test drove it with the wife and i loved it (first turbo car). Then, of course, after swearing i wasnt going to mod it, i did. If you take the car for what it is, and mod it accordingly, its a great package. It handles excellent form the factory, looks really nice and is pretty rare.

If you try to double or triple the engines output and wonder why it breaks then you can only set yourself up for dissapointment.

I do wish it was forged but it prolly would have been alot more. So im ok with it.

funny, I have a similar story.

5 yrs ago I was out with a friend who was looking to buy a new 6, I had zero intentions of buying a car that day. I had no idea the speed even existed. I saw it in the lot, took it out for a spin, went back 2 days later and drove one off the lot. By far the biggest impulse buy I've ever made. It was and is my first turbo car so I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Being it's my daily driver I didn't want to go big with it so a few bolt-ons and I think the speed has just the right amount of quickness and agility to be a great DD. Makes driving around town fun as hell.

Back