So, why did you guys chose an MSP to mod?

foild1

So, considering the stock engine cant handle more than 10PSI safely w/o being forged, and the cost of the car to start out with, why do you guys mod this car, rather than say, a nissan GTR or something like that. or maybe, for example, a dodge SRT???? The potential of these cars/$ spend is much better than the MSP --- SO... Why the MSP?!

BTW the only answer I have for this is that I like having a car that not alot of people have.... its good for daily driving and looks awesome.. and the handling rocks.

I got my MSP on a whim. I didnt actually know it existed.

I test drove it with the wife and i loved it (first turbo car). Then, of course, after swearing i wasnt going to mod it, i did. If you take the car for what it is, and mod it accordingly, its a great package. It handles excellent form the factory, looks really nice and is pretty rare.

If you try to double or triple the engines output and wonder why it breaks then you can only set yourself up for dissapointment.

I do wish it was forged but it prolly would have been alot more. So im ok with it.

the srt and the wrx were/are more $$. plus most of us just want to have a fun and quick dd, which the msp is perfect for

you can get a msp cheap now and WRX are still high, you can take the price dif in a 03 WRX and a 03 MSP at the time i bought mine and i could have had alot faster msp than a WRX.

i dont drive a msp but deffin agree with driving a mp5 that it handles great from the factory, and oh god does it only get better.

i bought mine cheap and for the money i spent on it i could have it way faster than a wrx or srt, and i like that its rare.

I traded up to my msp because it is a much better baseline to mod than my stock p5 heh. adding a turbo and upgrading the tranny in my p5 would cost a fortune. Msp is rare, there arent very many here on the island, and i like the look. it grabs attention, but its pretty subtle i think.

since ive owned mine, i get heads turning everywhere i go ha ha.
of course, its a fun car too.

i wish i had an msp.... but i started with an ES and worked my way up...

I was looking at many cars when i decided to buy the MSP, i bought one because.... well not many people even know about them. I like different things lol.

People always ask me the same thing.. I just tell them I was high at the time in which they seem to believe.. lol

Granted, this is probably one of the worst cars to buy for straight line performance, it does handle its own in the handling department..

i was in need of a car cuz the tranny on my jeep was going out, i drove my buddys mp3 and loved it so he told me about the msp. i found one and test drove it and bought it that day.i wanted to be different everyone has a civic,evo,wrx stuff like that so it seemed like a good car, its not the best platform to start with but that is part of the fun to me. i like knowing i made the car a beast not bought it already fast if that makes any sense

I started with a 90 4dr civic had a B16A1 dropped in and boosted than went to a 93 civic coupe and dropped same thing as above civic. Blew the motor and wanted something that was nice and quick from factory (in comparison lol) and that would not be stolen since Honda theft was getting out of hand here.went to look at a Rx-8 but could not afford it at the time. My sis spotted the speed and really wanted me to look at it. I saw it was limited and turbo from factory and had to have it. May not be as fast as others (sti srt etc) But I like not having a "me too" car.

same deal as terbow, i had a mx-6 and blew the motor and was a fan of mazda's, i picked up a grand am for cheap from a dealer until i had money to get something nice. I wanted a turbo and a 5speed and i checked back with the dealer that i bought the grand am from and they had a spicy msp there that just got traded in. When he told me about i had no clue what it was, so i did a lil research and the next day i was trying to drive home lol, it was really my first time droving a stick so the drive home was a bit of a challenge lol, but the rarity of the car is pretty sweet.

My 1997 Cavalier was dying. I wanted something new/reliable. I had never modded a car in my life, had ZERO automotive knowledge, and a very limited budget. (but I loved the modding lifestyle, fast - cheap cars)

I wanted a WRX...too much, even a used one was well over $20k, next I tried to got a mini cooper(wife loves them) and an SRT4...still couldn't quite get a good price with decent financing...soooooo...

MSP!!! It was my 4th choice, but in hindsight it was a perfect choice. Now 5 years later I could easily trade it for an SRT or WRX, but I don't think I ever will. It has been a fantastic car and an excellent purchase. I couldn't be happier. Its driven every single day of the year, it has everything I could want in a car, and it has raced side by side next to Porsche turbos with stripped interiors!

I kinda fell into mine I was actually in the euro market looking for a GTI or S4 when I saw the spicy MSP I fell in love and had to have one after 6 months of looking I find my partner in crime!! I couldn't be happier....Now if I didn't have a warranty and had to pay for all this s*** out of pocket it would have been a different story. I actually bought this car expecting to not mod it. since I already have a project, but it was inevitable!!!

I got my MSP on a whim. I didnt actually know it existed.

I test drove it with the wife and i loved it (first turbo car). Then, of course, after swearing i wasnt going to mod it, i did. If you take the car for what it is, and mod it accordingly, its a great package. It handles excellent form the factory, looks really nice and is pretty rare.

If you try to double or triple the engines output and wonder why it breaks then you can only set yourself up for dissapointment.

I do wish it was forged but it prolly would have been alot more. So im ok with it.

same here, didnt know they existed, im only modding to fix mazdas mistakes then im gonna be done. great dd, looks great, and i love that i dont see them all the time, i like to be original in terms of cars, i dont want what everyone else has

ahhh when ever i think of this i always get depressed

it started freshman year if high school....my dad had told me after the 1st quarter i came home with honors that if i kept it up that for graduation he would get me any reasonable car i wanted so my hopes were set on a Evo 8

well of course that was the last quarter i had gotton honors and i was stuck driving his 97 blazer untill he gave me the option to pick up a WRX that was heavly modified if i could pull honors junior year...well i guess you guys see the pattern and the fall of my senior year he said well guess what...you get what you can afford half of and ill pay the other half and at the time a had about 5k saved and i picked up the MSP for a little over 12k (hehe got him to pony up a little more cuz he loved the car as much as me)

i needed a car and the MSP was on my list to see if i could get it, like two days later i saw one in the paper for 7 large, went to look at it the next day, by the next week she was all mine!!

i 'bought' my dad's '94 toyota camry and ran that for a year, until i hit a patch of ice and slid into a telephone pole.

Was looking at a bunch of different cars, and saw a MSP for sale. Never heard about them, knew nothing about them. Did some reading online and thought it was pretty cool. Took it for a test drive and bought it the same day. It was pretty much an impulse buy.

it all started when i totaled my 1998 nissan 200sx. the worst part...i was on my way to see my dying grandmother in the hospital. my dad goes to car auctions so naturally that's where i buy all my cars from. one day after the wreck he called me up saying there was this crazy looking chicken yellow protege that has been sitting at the auction for about 2 weeks (says some random passerby). it was an mp3. when i saw it pull up in my driveway that day, i was in love. as soon as i heard there was a turbo version, i knew i had to have it. several years later, after selling the mp3 and driving a spec v for a year, i finally found my msp at yet another auction. so here i am.

Back