So I want to buy an RX-7...

Yeah, the problem with that place is a lot of the more experienced members have moved on. You think we get a lot of stupid, repetitive threads here...

But yeah, I'm going to go find the dimensions of the wheels I want to run - 225/50R16 and 245/45R16 Hankook Ventus RS-2's. I'd much rather get the new RS-3's or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec but neither of those come in the 245/45R16 size. I could bump up to 17's and have a much greater selection but then I have to get both heavier and more expensive wheels and tires.

Unfortunately measuring the wheel clearance requires having the car, LOL! Oh well, more time to save money and plan. I'm actually debating now to do all the bolt-on stuff first (exhaust, coilovers, wheels, etc.) before doing the major engine stuff (bridge port, ITB's, Haltech, etc.). I'll have to talk it over with the fiance'...

Yeah, the problem with that place is a lot of the more experienced members have moved on. You think we get a lot of stupid, repetitive threads here...

But yeah, I'm going to go find the dimensions of the wheels I want to run - 225/50R16 and 245/45R16 Hankook Ventus RS-2's. I'd much rather get the new RS-3's or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec but neither of those come in the 245/45R16 size. I could bump up to 17's and have a much greater selection but then I have to get both heavier and more expensive wheels and tires.

Unfortunately measuring the wheel clearance requires having the car, LOL! Oh well, more time to save money and plan. I'm actually debating now to do all the bolt-on stuff first (exhaust, coilovers, wheels, etc.) before doing the major engine stuff (bridge port, ITB's, Haltech, etc.). I'll have to talk it over with the fiance'...

Lol I hear ya on rx7club lots of info...etremely hard to find. The knowledgable members are still there they just hide out in less traveled areas.

I can take some pics this weekend with my 16" turbo wheels and I have a set of 15's that are +35 so you can see how they sit.

Also my vote is do all the bolt ons first...enjoy the car for a little while and learn your way around it.

Lol I hear ya on rx7club lots of info...etremely hard to find. The knowledgable members are still there they just hide out in less traveled areas.

I can take some pics this weekend with my 16" turbo wheels and I have a set of 15's that are +35 so you can see how they sit.

Also my vote is do all the bolt ons first...enjoy the car for a little while and learn your way around it.
That was my reasoning for switching the order as well. Even though go is always better than show, I just don't think I could have a fully bridge ported motor with ITB's and a Haltech ECU while still rocking the stock exhaust, ride height and crappy 15" Borbet wheels, LOL.

Actually, what you could do, that woul be really helpfuly, is measure to the inside lip of the fender like we were talking about above. I know you're dropped but that shouldn't change the position of the hub surface too much. Just hang a string with a weight from the inside lip of the fender and then measure from the hub surface to the string. Also, how much lip is there under the fender? This would be an easy method to find the offset I could go with as I know the tire widths now. Of course, this assumes no negative camber so I could probably get away with another 10 mm from what is measured.

That was my reasoning for switching the order as well. Even though go is always better than show, I just don't think I could have a fully bridge ported motor with ITB's and a Haltech ECU while still rocking the stock exhaust, ride height and crappy 15" Borbet wheels, LOL.

Actually, what you could do, that woul be really helpfuly, is measure to the inside lip of the fender like we were talking about above. I know you're dropped but that shouldn't change the position of the hub surface too much. Just hang a string with a weight from the inside lip of the fender and then measure from the hub surface to the string. Also, how much lip is there under the fender? This would be an easy method to find the offset I could go with as I know the tire widths now. Of course, this assumes no negative camber so I could probably get away with another 10 mm from what is measured.

If I am measuring it with the suspension unloaded being dropped should matter I don't think. But yeah I can take care of that this weekend I will be working on the car anyway...I will shoot a pic of the fender lip as well.

Been talking with Rishie from AutoRnD (anyone remember him?) and I may actually be going with 16x8 +32 mm with 245/45R16 all around. He is running the same setup, I'm just trying to get him to spill the beans regarding fitment. It'll look pretty badass and I've been reading the the RX-7's handle better "square" (same tire/wheel size on all four corners). Of course I could easily cop-out and run 17x8 with 235/45 up front and 17x9 with 255/40 out back but I really want to stick with the lighter (and cheaper) 16's.

I'm thinking something like this, but red and with TII front lip and sides and 16's, not 17's. Wheel specs are 17x8 +35 mm 225/45 F and 17x9 + 35mm 235/45 R. Anyone care to photoshop?

RX7_HKS.JPG

(back from the dead)
Thats my old FC. :) The wheels are 17 x 8 and 9 RPF1s and the offset is +35 all around. The tires are 235 and 245/40 17 BFG KDW2.

(back from the dead)
Thats my old FC. :) The wheels are 17 x 8 and 9 RPF1s and the offset is +35 all around. The tires are 235 and 245/40 17 BFG KDW2.
LOL yep, saw that over on the "evil forums" (for any other RCC members here). I ended up going with 16x8 +32 RPF1's. Unfortunately you don't get the "dish" with anything less than 9 inches wide but they'll do. BTW, what drop is that?

As for an update to this thread I'm thinking of really scaling back my plans for the GXL and turn it into a glorified DD. I'm on the hunt for an S5 TII or FD to really play with.

I'm probably getting an 86 se, very well maintained mechanically, fairly cheap :) (and not red lol)

new_rx-7.jpg

LOL yep, saw that over on the "evil forums" (for any other RCC members here). I ended up going with 16x8 +32 RPF1's. Unfortunately you don't get the "dish" with anything less than 9 inches wide but they'll do. BTW, what drop is that?

As for an update to this thread I'm thinking of really scaling back my plans for the GXL and turn it into a glorified DD. I'm on the hunt for an S5 TII or FD to really play with.

lol, evil?? This is the forum where I got ripped off for $300+ and told to STFU about it by the mods. Hence the high post count and me never being around. (nervous)

Anyway, the drop is from a set of HKS Drift spec coilovers. The reason I went with 8's in the front is the lack of dish. The 8s actually have MORE room for a BBK then 9s because of that.

Nice clean SE, Sean...Rock those phone dials!! Heh, that car looks a lot like my 1st 7. :) Whats up with that FD in he garage though?

I'm probably getting an 86 se, very well maintained mechanically, fairly cheap :) (and not red lol)
LOL, have a problem with red? Looks good for an '86; the paint looks better than my '89!
lol, evil?? This is the forum where I got ripped off for $300+ and told to STFU about it by the mods. Hence the high post count and me never being around. (nervous)
LOL, never said this place was perfect... The "evil forum" is how the guys over on Rotary Car Club (RCC) refer to RX7Club. I still use RX7C for reference but I will never post there. Too much flaming and I don't like the direction the forum "fads" are going (much like the Protege's here). Most of the more knowledgeable members like TitaniumTT, ReTed, etc are on RCC anyway.
Natey said:
Anyway, the drop is from a set of HKS Drift spec coilovers. The reason I went with 8's in the front is the lack of dish. The 8s actually have MORE room for a BBK then 9s because of that.
Interesting info. I guess the caliper was interferring with the wheel spokes on the wider wheels? I won't be going with a BBK on this car. The stock calipers/rotors look pretty good with the 16" Enkei's.

FWIW, I'll have my Enkei's on the car shortly...

FD is a project he's been working on. Hopefully i'll be picking it up with the tax return. Nothing wrong with red, but like 90% of them are :p

Owned by a mazda master tech for 10 years then the guy i'm getting it from who knows his stuff too. Original owner swapped lsd into it :D and a few other little upgrades so not your average se.

I so want a GTUs rear end for my GXL... that and Miata gears, an aluminum flywheel and an aluminum driveshaft. With as little power as it will be making, I could use all the acceleration I can get!

so its a project... lol
I don't see why not. As wagon said, chasis looks good. Interior looks okay. Manual windows, looks like no P/S - definitely a good chassis to start with. Gutless N/A motor though...

EDIT: Exterior might be resprayed, but maybe that's just the pictures. It also looks like the battery was relocated - make sure that was done properly or you'll have problems later on. Maybe it just isn't in the car though...

Last edited:
I don't see why not. As wagon said, chasis looks good. Interior looks okay. Manual windows, looks like no P/S - definitely a good chassis to start with. Gutless N/A motor though...

who cares? its dying anyway! the rotors will make fabulous paperweights... and it comes with the diff you'd wanna swap in anyway. start working on a powerplant and you'd be all set.

who cares? its dying anyway! the rotors will make fabulous paperweights... and it comes with the diff you'd wanna swap in anyway. start working on a powerplant and you'd be all set.
The S4 engine is even worse than the S5 and the swap isn't straightforward, even N/A to N/A because the wiring harnesses are completely different. Mechanical OMP is nice though...
As for the diff, it says it'll go with the car - not installed. You'd need the entire TII drivetrain to make it work without modification though. Transmission, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft, starter, clutch slave, etc...

Latest posts

Back