Snow... it happend

MadOnion

:
Mazda Protege5
hey guys, its snowed where I am for the first time this year and lucky me my abs called it quits today yay! I have pretty good all season M+S tires on this little red wagon but she slides around like a baby deer on ice. I am pretty good at keeping it straight as it snows 4-5 months out of the year here, my question is, is it worth dropping the 500+ on straight up winter shoes for my P5 or are they just too light to do any good. I had a sunfire a few years ago that I had to get rid of because well it was a sunfire and two it was just to damn light to drive safely in the snow even with full on winters. This is the first winter with the p5 and I would rather not have to park it and buy a beater suv or something. Anyone have experience with these cars in the winter? Do studs make a big difference? thanks

All seasons aren't really designed for winter, they usually do the job. Some places require it, by law, to have winter tires.

Yes, its always time to move away from a sunflower haha.

Studs are good for ice, I would have them on if they were legal to have here in Ontario.

I wouldn't say a p5 is any heavier than the sunfire. The p5s are around 1274kg. Regardless of the weight though, winter tires help.

If you are on the fence based on the price, go with used tires. Just like cars, they depreciate pretty rapidly. A set of good and slightly used tires may go for $200-$300, which is well worth it if you ask me.

Lastly, I wouldn't drive the p5 in the winter. Apparently they are super fun and handle the snow really well, but the salt kills them too fast... I put my p5 away in the winter because the salt where I live is just insane.
If you are still going to winter drive it, and they salt the roads, at least rust proof your car.

I have had a P5 since 2002 and being in Minnesota it has the rust to prove it just as The_big_dill was saying. After the first winter without winter tires I was ready to get rid of the car. The next winter I put winter tires on it and wow, what a difference. I have never had studs, winter tires do just fine.

If you can find some used winter tires on steel rims that would be well worth it. You will have rust problems so it's up to you whether you want to deal with that.

The car already has the classic p5 rust, the first bumper tabs on both sides are gone and it has a cute little droop. my wife was yelling at me for even thinking about getting winter tires she wants to get rid of the car and has since day one. we'll see what happens lol.. anyway the winters will make a big difference hey?

Yes the winter tires will make a big difference. I have made galvanized brackets to hold my bumper cover on. They have done the job for a few years now.

Winter tires don't have to cost a lot. Find some.cheap used wheels and pick up something like a hankook or bridgestone. My wifes hankooks were $100/tire cdn and work great.
It isn't just about snow, they just work better when it is cold. Be it a 2600lb protege or 4000lb hambeast.

As said, winter tires will make a big difference. Keep in mind that you can run a 14" wheel (as long as you are still using the OEM brake calipers). That will save you money on both wheels and tires. The recommended tire size is 185/65/14 but I've been running a 185/70/14 for several years now with no fender roll and no rubbing at stock height or lowered on Tokico Blues and Tein S-Techs. I picked up a set of four 14" steel wheels from a 1993 Eclipse for $100! They aren't pretty but they do the job.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I wish I'd kept my 02 P5 cause with winter tires it was a fun winter car. Get a set of winters, find some on kijiji or craigslist, and accept the rust. Or sell to me:)

No. I ran IIRC 195/60r15 or maybe 195/55r15 with steelies and all stock setup. They will be cheaper, and more available than that silly stock size,just double check that they(rims) clear the brakes. If you want to compare https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Last edited:
Yes, but.....if you went with the 195/60r15 you would end up going 2% faster than indicated. So in km's, at 60km/hr you're actually going 61.2km/hr. not enough to notice, unless you always try to go 10km/hr over speed limit to not get photo radar ticket(here in MB they trigger at 12km/hr over limit). If you were to get the 195/55r15 then you'd be going 1% slower than indicated. At 60km/hr on speedo you'd be travelling at 59.4km/hr.

The stock tire size was always a PITA to replace as it was harder to find tires that fit that weren't so much $. For winters it also helps to have the bigger sidewall to help absorb some of the ice ruts and potholes.

My P5 has 15 inch alloys for winter. I run 185/60-15's (General winter tread) and the height and width is very close to the 195/50-16 factory tire. Many tire size calculator sites on the web allow you to plug sizes into the calculator to compare up to 4 different sizes of tire. Well worth a look.

BTW, I bought the winters (new looking, used) for $120 and paid Canadian Tire $80 to mount, balance and valve stem them. Cheap insurance against winter disasters, IMHO

Cheap insurance against winter disasters, IMHO

Seconded.Have saved me when other people can't stop and i just drive away.

Those are very close to original specs for speedo accuracy, and since a touch narrower will "cut" into snow a bit better.

Almost any winter tire is better than having all seasons.

As well ABS isnt really needed, my mp3 has no abs but with some snow tires it did great last year and never got stuck

my car has 195/50r/16 don't I need to stick with 16s

Nope. The first time I replaced tires I found a very poor selection in the stock size. This is when I found out you can run a 205/45/16, 205/50/16 or a 215/45/16 on the stock wheel with no issues. Due to the abundance of 205/50 that is what I chose and to this day still use for summer. Like the others have said though, if you go to a 15" or a 14" for winter, use those tire calculators. With my 14" set-up I'm a bit faster at 60mph so I just keep that in mind while driving.

Also, a skinnier tire is preferred for winter driving. So if you have the option (for example) of a 195/55 or a 205/50 I'd take the 195/55.

It gets cold here. Cold enough for all seasons to suck. My coopers have been pretty good but when it snows I'm.in trouble lol.
I ran 195/55/15 when I did have winters and faced a similar problem with tires size trying to replace my as.
I ended up going msp fitment 215/45/17 as there are sooo many 17" wheels that come up for sale. If I wasnt running msp ecu my speedo would be off but only like 3%.
My wife has 205/55/16 which is almost as big as my 17s circum but it works. The difference won't be enough for you to get a ticket.
Anywhere in interior bc/alberta you absolutely need winter tires though.

Back