SMIC with nothing else

rdmello

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed
Would it be safe if I upgraded my SMIC from stock, but did not change anything else in the car? Everything else is bone stock. I'm concerned about that restrictive exhaust.

The most I'm planning to upgrade in the exhaust will be the mid pipe. I might be persuaded to do a down pipe too, but I won't go full exhaust because of cost, and the fact that I like it quiet. What do you guys think?

And back to my original question, what if I just got the intercooler first? Still safe?

The turbo hoses smic was my first, and definitly best mod so far to my car. The smic and hard pipes made a much better difference than my 2.5" catted mid pipe, though the combination is very good.

I just bought an MPI.

The upgraded SMIC will keep the air charge cooler, therefore there's a lesser chance of pre-detonation. The bigger/less restrictive midpipe will definately keep the backpressure down. As a result of the lesser backpressure the turbo will run much cooler. Please check out this thread for more info on the aftermarket SMIC I offer: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84443

Thanks!
Anatoly.

yeah, i have the SMIC and definitely felt a big difference over the stock IC. after having an exhaust on my old P5, i like the relatively quiet MSP exhaust. I will most likely be changing out my mid-pipe for a larger diameter one with a high flow cat to decrease the back pressure... and then just keep the stock MSP catback.

rdmello said:
Would it be safe if I upgraded my SMIC from stock, but did not change anything else in the car? Everything else is bone stock. I'm concerned about that restrictive exhaust.
I'd say you'd be safer than stock.

ChopstickHero said:
i like the relatively quiet MSP exhaust. I will most likely be changing out my mid-pipe for a larger diameter one with a high flow cat to decrease the back pressure... and then just keep the stock MSP catback.

That's exactly what I did. I got my Apex 2.5" dp with cat (replaces J-pipe & mid-pipe) and I couldn't be happier.

Right now I'm saving up for CustomMSP's SMIC & pipes. (thumb)

Matrix said:
That's exactly what I did. I got my Apex 2.5" dp with cat (replaces J-pipe & mid-pipe) and I couldn't be happier.

Right now I'm saving up for CustomMSP's SMIC & pipes. (thumb)

So what does it sound like? How much louder did it get? I suppose that's hard to describe. Let's say you could put it into a percentage. i.e. 50% louder. How much louder?

The sound is almost identical to stock, perhaps a little deeper.
If I had to give the increase in volume a percentage, I'd say it got louder by 15% at the most.

silverspeed03 said:
How quickly will the SMIC heatsoak?

the stock SMIC is a joke. i live in socal and it would heatsoak on a summer day BEFORE i got into my car to drive home after work. now that i have the turbohoses smic, i haven't noticed any decreases in performance, even after driving continuously on a hot day.

a FMIC would yield similar results. although you may run into slightly higher engine temps, as the FMIC will block a bit of airflow to your radiator. better fans and a better coolant mix would help.

however, i like the idea of a SMIC as it looks stealth, yields some good performance numbers, is super easy to install and you can add hardpipes to it if you want.

Last edited:
good luck finding someone that still produces hardpipes tho...will have to be custom or second hand

evilmonkeyMSP said:
good luck finding someone that still produces hardpipes tho...will have to be custom or second hand

If I recall correctly, CustomMSP posted a thread in which he mentioned that he will be producing intercooler pipes. I hope that's true, because I was planning on buying his SMIC and i/c pipes as a package deal this spring. (boom07)

I havent seen anything else on it & didnt get that info from him in his SMIC thread recently...so I dunno

evilmonkeyMSP said:

dang, turbohoses not selling their hardpipes anymore? i guess i won't lose much on them when it comes time to sell mine. (thumb)

If you're worried about the cooling (radiator) problem just get a FMIC kit like the MAM or the perrin which allows you to drop a P5 radiator in it, cheap and almost twice as big. (sorry for Threadjack)

Back