Skunk2 coilovers

NinjaSYXX

:
Mazda Protege 5
honestly, how good are they? i know skunk2 has a great rep w/ doing these parts, but i wanna know if that would be the only thing i would need to just smooth out my ride and lower my ride height a little and improve handling. thanks in advance for the opinions!

the general opinion around here is that the Skunk2 coil-overs for the Protege stink. they may have a good product for some other cars, but they were not received well when they came out for the protege. ground control has a better rep.

GC's for the protege also suck balls. Aluminum hats on steel struts= wear and clunking. The springs are good though

Skunk2 coil overs arent 'full coil over suspension' kit as i was told so there fore part of your suspension you have to keep, here is what the kit looks like:
coilK01.jpg

I did see a pic of a red protege5 here with them fitted & looks very good i say! Regarding quality i dont know.

any one with the actual items have a say in this? If installed correctly, is there popping or clunking inssues?

Also, Pirana used to have a how to on installing GC's. Any one know if he still has it? Thanks!

I had them in my Integra for daily driving they were ok as long as you could avoid all possible bumps on the road..to tell you the truth..the ride was harsh even with a full aftermarket suspension. If you can wait save and get a real full coilover suspension and save the headaches and backaches down the road.

I had these on for about 10K miles when I first bought the car and I thought they were absolutely attrocious!!! They didn't clunk much, but they sure as hell did creak like crazy. Not to mention the rough ride and blown struts after only 7000 miles (the car had 3000 when I put them on .. stock struts were done by 10K). Overall, I say don't do it. I bought a set of Falken Factory tuned springs after that and have never been happier.

Back