seeking from 180-200 whp

djdanny5000

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Retired: 2002 Protege 5
ok well i was just convinced to go turbo and not n/a now im looking for anywhere between 180-200whp but i just want something that will get me up there without to much stress on the engine cause i dont want to blow it also i think ive read that you can run like 7psi on a stock fs-de motor is this right also which turbo setup would be the best to buy thats reliable and wont harm my engine

i also want to add that i have a a/t also if i get a turbo will i need to do something to the ecu

Both Hiboost and Mental Addiction offer good quality kits. Do a search and you will find a ton of posts attempting to compare but usually end up into a pissing contest. I have a Hiboost kit on my P5 (currently around 30k miles on it) with everything I needed to run 8psi for around $3800 1-1/2 years ago maybe a little higher now ($4k). I could not be happier but am now running 9.5-10psi with no cats and 2-1/2" all the way back. Very good quality product as well as what I have heard of Mental Addictions products also. Money very well spent!! You will definately need an upgraded clutch. Mine was put on order a few days after I finished the install of the kit. Started Slipping in second.

Automatic tranny brings up some other issues. There are several Hiboosted P5's on the forum with auto's. Pirahna was the first and he was at I think 14psi so it can be done for sure also Pretzelogic (spelling?). Try a search under user name...

I think on an auto you would want to shoot for 5psi if you want to keep running. You should be able to get anywhere from 160-180 on that if tuned right. The auto is what's holding you back, not he motor.

at 5psi i'm real happy!! that much boost really changes the nature of the car and makes enough power, for me. i'm not racing the car so i knew going into this that it wasn't going to be a real beast. i just wanted what the car lacked as a stock AT protege. i real pleased!!(thumb)

Our kit will make around 185 WHP at 7 psi of boost on stock exhaust. I have a customer running 8 psi on 3 inch exhaust in his Auto P5 in LA. His tranny is doing ok so far and he is around 220 WHP.

We have the kits available and ready to ship. No waiting time on these.

Juan

5-7 psi will give you a real nice kick in the pants. As longa s you aren't romping on it all day everyday you're tranny should be able to hold. That much boost is perfect for cruising around town.

well once i get 4k to buy the kit ill prolly run like 5 psi for normal day driving and boost it up to 7-8psi when i want to race someone my only problem is im 17 with a crappy part tmie job where to get 4k

save and save, it took me almost 2 years to save for my engine build and turbo... But that was before i got my new job and better pay :)

33 now but when I was 17 I drove a $200 Chevy Malibu 3 speed on the floor so you are doing much better than I was. Trust me $4k for a kit is only the start. Exhaust, motor mounts, suspension, gauges, turbo timer...

I blew my tranny in my 02 P5. I'm sure the folks would be less than willing to help if you pop your tranny or motor. Not trying to preach but before you sink yourself into a money pit (which it will be) maybe think about getting on full-time at your job. Maybe that just the guilt of knowing how many times my dad has helped me out without even thinking twice about it when I was younger.

HiBoost TS said:
Our kit will make around 185 WHP at 7 psi of boost on stock exhaust. I have a customer running 8 psi on 3 inch exhaust in his Auto P5 in LA. His tranny is doing ok so far and he is around 220 WHP.

We have the kits available and ready to ship. No waiting time on these.

Juan

met up with him last night (if we're talking about the same guy) ... his car is kickass! turbo sounds great and his HKS bov is nice and loud. :)

shane02pro5 said:
33 now but when I was 17 I drove a $200 Chevy Malibu 3 speed on the floor so you are doing much better than I was. Trust me $4k for a kit is only the start. Exhaust, motor mounts, suspension, gauges, turbo timer...

I blew my tranny in my 02 P5. I'm sure the folks would be less than willing to help if you pop your tranny or motor. Not trying to preach but before you sink yourself into a money pit (which it will be) maybe think about getting on full-time at your job. Maybe that just the guilt of knowing how many times my dad has helped me out without even thinking twice about it when I was younger.

Agreed, you don't realize how much money it takes to turbo your car. That 4k is only the start, you'll end up needing a new clutch as well. It really is a money pit...

djdanny5000 said:
well once i get 4k to buy the kit ill prolly run like 5 psi for normal day driving and boost it up to 7-8psi when i want to race someone my only problem is im 17 with a crappy part tmie job where to get 4k

Where in Florida do you live?

We now have a shop in Miami that is open. We can do the install and we are building a nice boosted club in Miami. There are already like 6 HiBoosters in the area. Two of them are running the lower compression and forged rods and boosting 16 PSI on 93 daily. They are beating modified SRT-4s, WRXs, Evos etc. They say it feels really good with Mazdas kicking serious ass in town.

We are meeting to go to MOROSO next time and race the cars at the 1/4 mile.

HiBoost TS said:

We now have a shop in Miami that is open. We can do the install and we are building a nice boosted club in Miami. There are already like 6 HiBoosters in the area. Two of them are running the lower compression and forged rods and boosting 16 PSI on 93 daily. They are beating modified SRT-4s, WRXs, Evos etc. They say it feels really good with Mazdas kicking serious ass in town.

whoa whoa whoa what? here in miami?
what's the addy? i'll pass by!

HiBoost TS said:

im in west palm but i wouldnt mind stopping by every now and then besides i love miami will be moving there once i get a job and can afford rent with my cousin also where is your shop located ill stop by sometime

Back