Seating comfort

paging_drburgos said:
The only things i need to do is 1. Buy a small pillow to attach to my right knee or invest in a kneepad. 2. Buy a small pillow to attach to my left elbow or invest in an elbowpad. I always find myself with my knee resting on the hard plastic by the gear shifter and with my elbow resting on the windowsill rather than the arm rest built into the door.

same here!!!

the knee resting against the hard plastic for long periods is a pain!!!

I have an idea!

You know you can call the tempurpedic matress 1800 number for a free sample of the foam, and attach the foam where the shift console area digs into your knee. This will also make it more comfortable during those hard left turns!

da1nonly said:
same here!!!

the knee resting against the hard plastic for long periods is a pain!!!
When I drop by Princess Auto on Saturday, I'll see if they have any more of that black sticky foam. I think we could cut out a piece and get 2 sided tape to place it on the side. Maybe it could be a known mod? :)

foam doesn't have enough give to it... it's a little bit too firm... should be more like a feathery soft pillow...

how about hiring someone to periodically massage the knee when the vehicle's not in motion?

5' 10" Short Legs

I'm 5' 10". But my short legs make it a perfect fit. There is a lot of headroom for me. AM I turnin' Japanese?(idhitit)

I'm 6'1, and the legroom is a it tight... however, with the seat all the way back and reclined a bit (for extra space), the armrest up (with the seat reclined, it gets in the way; I wish it were console mounted so that it didn't change angle with the seatback), and the steering wheel extended so that I'm not driving arms straight out. It's not SUPER comfortable, but it's doable.

I always drive it with the seat all the way down, but that's mainly because you lose legroom as you adjust the seat higher. If the seat stayed at a consistent distance from the dash as you raisedit, I'd be able to get quite comfortable. The clutch pedal also gets in the way, but neither me nor my wife would care to be saddled with another automatic transmission, especially a 4 speed automatic on a 4-banger; we learned that lesson with the CR-V.

But then, it's my wife's car. The only time I drive it is when we all go out as a family. I have a Honda Element that I drive most of the time. If you don't have enough room in a Honda Element, you honestly need to be chauffeured on a flatbed. My uncle drives one too, and he's 6'7, 350 lbs!

Last edited:
I am about 6'1" and big-boned (240 lbs.) and I have found that when I adjust the height of the seat about 1/2 way up and tilt the seat back an extra few inches for extra headroom it is quite comfortable for me. My only gripe is the narrow distance for my knees using a MT. I constantly rub the side of the shift column. All-in-all, you can't find many other vehicles of this size with as much headroom and cargo area.

I've had my Mazda dealer install a kit to move the seat further back. The kit consists of two iron bars bolted to the floor. The seat is then attached to the iron bars. It gives me plenty room, when I move the seat to the end I can no longer reach the pedals. (well, allmost...) I'm 6'1".

Stefan.

deisz001 said:
I've had my Mazda dealer install a kit to move the seat further back. The kit consists of two iron bars bolted to the floor. The seat is then attached to the iron bars. It gives me plenty room, when I move the seat to the end I can no longer reach the pedals. (well, allmost...) I'm 6'1".

Stefan.

That sounds interesting...

can you provide any more info?

whereabouts did u get this done? cost?

How much distance between the front seat and second row (when set all the way back)... Can you still raise and lower the seat?

Thanks. I might look into getting this done too if the $$$ is right.

I'll make some photo's this weekend and try to upload them here.
It costed close to 200 euro's (in The Netherlands), that's including installation at an official dealer. I'll measure the minimum distance between front and rear seat. (I don't think that that's very important though, since you can always slide the seat forward if you need more space)
The seat remains 100% functioning. Only difference is that it's bolted a couple of inches further away from the front. And because of the construction, it has also raised about one inch.

Stefan.

deisz001 said:
I'll make some photo's this weekend and try to upload them here.
It costed close to 200 euro's (in The Netherlands), that's including installation at an official dealer. I'll measure the minimum distance between front and rear seat. (I don't think that that's very important though, since you can always slide the seat forward if you need more space)
The seat remains 100% functioning. Only difference is that it's bolted a couple of inches further away from the front. And because of the construction, it has also raised about one inch.

Stefan.

I would really like to know a part number or manufacturer name so i can find this for myself. I talked to my local dealer and they have no idea what I am talking about and could not even recommend and after market source.

Worst case contact info in the ? Netherlands? so i can ask them where they got this.

Back