Screech!

Hello,
I have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES - 1.8 liter.
About a couple years ago, my drive belts were replaced with new ones - Goodyear Gatorbacks - they'd replaced the A/C belt, Alternator Belt, and I think the P/S belt, too. After that, they'd screech from time to time, when driving (very embarrassing), but then would go away after 30 seconds or so. Also on mornings when I first start the vehicle, you can hear a loud pitched whine coming from the belts, but it eventually goes away after I start driving. Big O tires who put the new belts on, replaced the belts twice, but to no avail.

Yesterday, it was raining, and the loud screech occurred twice, and I am tempted to take the car in again. Also, in the summer, which I turn on the A/C, sometimes the loud screech comes on again.

Here are my questions:
1. What belts should be checked out, and is there any possible solution that could be recommended, that I could relay to the mechanic?
2. Does my Mazda have serpentine belts? If so, how many belts total, and what does each belt run?

Thanks!

When the screeching occurs do you headlights or inside lights dim, if so it is the alternator belt that is slipping. If not then its the front belt for the A/C & P/S.
Now the best thing to do would be:
Check the belts there are two setup as a serpentine belt system.
Make sure they are not dry or cracking. If they are not continue below.
While you are at it, push down on the belts. See how much tension is there, with a firm push they shouldn't move more then 1/2" down. If either belt does move more than that you will need to tighten the belts a little.

A/C & W/P Belt (rear):
I am not familiar with the bolt locations on the 1.8l alternator for the tensioner on the back, but on the 1.6l there are two bolts, and then the tensioner that needs to be adjusted.

P/S & A/C Belt (front):
The front belt is adjustable on the A/C compressor. I believe 3 bolts, and then the tensioner to tighten the belt.
Just don't over tighten the belts because it will wear out the bearings on pulleys.

There aren't really any other belts to look at. If the timing belt is slipping, you will be having other issues, which are more serious.

Hey. Thanks for your response. Let me try to understand the belt set up. So, when I look at the drive belts, located on the left if you are look at them - the first belt you see obviously is the P/S belt, and when you look further down, you can see the alternator, and the belt on that is the alternator belt. Is the A/C belt the same as the power steering belt, and that belt is different from the P/S belt correct?

No cracking on the belts. They are only a couple years old, but they look just fine (this problem has been occurring since the original replacement.) I pushed on the belt and I couldn't tell if it went in a half an inch or not - I don't think I did that throughly. When I turned on the car today, the start up squeal came on, and without putting my car too close to the belts, I can preliminarily conclude that it is coming from the pulley that you can see right by the top of the engine block, and to the right of P/S bottle - I think that's the P/S pulley...

Oh, and as to my A/C problem, if I turn on the A/C and the belt squeals, too, and it happens to be the same as the P/S belt, then I guess we've isolated the problem.

The lights don't dim when the squeal occurs, but when I check to see that my windows are closed by pulling up the switches, that's when it dims. I don't know if thats normal.

Oh, also sometimes when I am driving the car, the car doesn't seem to have as much power as it does other times - meaning sometimes the accelarator pedal is kind of stiff...I don't know if this is relating to the belts, either, or if it's a sign of an old car as the car has 112,500 miles on it.

Anyway, let me know what you have to stay so all this above ^^, and I thank you for help once again.

Ive been having the same issue as you internetman, i think my squeal's coming from the p/s belt aswell. I'll stall at times at a light an when i start my car up, the huge squeal comes up and goes away after a quick moment. I think it's the belt tension setup wrong since it happened not to long after i had them replaced. I've never attempted to readjust the belt tension myself, ive tried asking a few fellow mechanic teachers at my classes to help but they're always to busy. Is it easy an easy procedure, sorta like tighten and give it a try or is it more complicated than i think.

Oh, also sometimes when I am driving the car, the car doesn't seem to have as much power as it does other times - meaning sometimes the accelarator pedal is kind of stiff...I don't know if this is relating to the belts, either, or if it's a sign of an old car as the car has 112,500 miles on it.

You maybe in for a new clutch swap if your driving a manual 1.6, had mine replaced and it;s made a hell of a difference.

Last edited:
Mazda belt squeaks, squeals, and screeches

You guys! It's the aftermarket belts. No amount of adjusting will get them right. I've been there twice recently with two different Protege 2 liter engines. Go to Mazda and insist on their Mazda branded belts, then compare them to your Goodyears, Napas, Gates, whatever. You'll see immediately that the Mazda belts have a completely different configuration on their business side. Insist that the aftermarket sellers take back what won't work!

yeah i am having the same problem. changed the belts with aftermarkets and the screech started. pisses me off too.

Really? I've had the same problems with aftermarket. i have a 01 DX and that car just eats belts for breakfast. I've had 3 sets of belts snap within the last year. I know the belts haven't been too tightened because i check everytime someone replaces it. I'll try mazda for belts next time. Anywho, anyone have any tips or pics for changeing those belts. Somehow its different than Toyota or Subaru Belt. First time i tried, I had those bolts swimming in PB Blaster and I still felt like i was gonna strip some bolts, but Peps had no problem. Not sure what went wrong. Help?

Back