SCCA Auto-X Rules: Read This First, Then Ask Questions

apexlater

:
2000 MR2 Spyder
This is a summary of important SCCA Auto-X (Solo II) rules, listing which popular mods are allowed in which class. It should answer the most common questions, but it does not replace the Official rule book , which contains the full details for all the points mentioned here, plus many more rules.

I want to thank Reto over at NASIOC (“TheWRX”). He spent all the time creating this format and gave me permission to modify it to apply to us Mazda folk. This thread has been very successful on NASIOC and I hope it will benefit us here.

Classes

Which class you are running in is decided by the car model you drive, plus a category depending on the modifications you make to your car. With increasing levels of modifications, a logical progression is from Stock category (cars with no or minimal modifications) up to Street Touring, Street Prepared, then Street Modified. There are categories beyond Street Modified (Prepared, Modified) that are not within the scope of this document.

The possible classes for a Protg are:
• Stock: HS
• Street Touring: ST (STX, STU)
• Street Prepared: FSP
• Street Modified: SM, SSM

The possible classes for a Protg MP3 are:
• Stock: GS
• Street Touring: ST (STX, STU)

The possible classes for a Mazdaspeed Protege are:
• Street Touring: STX (STU)
• Street Prepared: DSP

The possible classes for the 90-97 Miata are:
• Stock: ES
• Street Touring: STS(Note: 94-97 with Torsen not eligible for STS, must use open differential, only factory Viscous type LSD are allowed in ST/STS.) STR
• Street Prepared: CSP
• Street Modified: SSM

The possible classes for the 99+ Miata are:
• Stock: CS
• Street Touring: STR
• Street Prepared: CSP

The possible classes for a Mazdaspeed Miata are:
• Street Prepared: BSP

The possible classes for an RX-8 are:
• Street Touring: STX
• Street Prepared: BSP

The possible classes for a Mazda 3 are:
• Stock: HS
• Street Touring: ST, (STX, STU)

The possible classes for a Mazda 6 are:
• Street Touring: ST, (STX, STU)
• Street Prepared: DSP

One essential principle is common to all the rules: If a modification is not explicitly authorized by the rules, it is not allowed, no matter how trivial it seems.

Stock Rules (BS, CS, DS, ES, GS, HS)

The following modifications are allowed in stock class:
• Appearance, comfort and convenience options, e. g. gauges, alarms, turbo timers, shift knobs.
• Removal of spare tire, tools and jack.
• Harness (seat belts cannot be removed), must be DOT approved.
• Any DOT approved tires (see rules for restrictions), including R-compounds, of any size (no modification of fender well, no rolling fenders, removing liners, tires can’t rub a hole into the liner either).
• Wheels (stock size only, offset within 0.25"/6mm of stock).
• Wheel spacers (resulting offset within 0.25"/6mm of stock).
• Lug nuts.
• Brake pads, speed bleeders.
• Shocks that maintain stock ride height, can be adjustable. See rule book for details!
• Front sway bar.
• Different alignment using factory adjustments (no camber bolts).
• Spark plugs.
• Air filter element can be removed or replaced.
• Cat-back exhaust.

ST/STS Rules

All modifications from the Stock rules are allowed, except for:
• Tires only up to 225 width, and at least 140 tread wear rating.

In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
• Remove air condition.
• Pedal covers.
• Seat (fully upholstered seating surface, Seat + brackets & sliders must weight at least 25 lbs).
• Steering wheel, unless equipped with airbag.
• Removal of factory emblems (debadging).
• Rolling of inside fender lip.
• Addition of body kits.
• Replace rear wing and bumper covers (wings up to 8 square feet).
• Wheels up to 7.5" width, any diameter, any offset.
• Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors (standard size).
• Brake lines, e. g. stainless steel.
• Air ducts for brakes.
• Disabled ABS (not removed).
• Shocks (fewer restrictions than stock). No electronic adjustment, like Tein EDFC!
• Springs (can be height adjustable, e. g. coilovers).
• Any suspension bushings, non-metallic.
• Any differential mount bushings, non-metallic.
• Any subframe mount bushings, non-metallic.
• Adjustable camber plates (caster adjustment allowed).
• Camber bolts.
• Adjustable front control arms (only if no front camber plates or camber bolts are used). Must have non-metallic bushings, spherical bearings are not allowed.
• Adjustable rear lateral links (only if no rear camber plates or camber bolts are used). Must have non-metallic bushings, spherical bearings are not allowed.
• Rear sway bar, mounts, end links
• Strut bars (not triangulated).
• Battery, relocation of battery (to trunk).
• Air Intake.
• Headers.
• Reprogrammed ECU or piggyback that controls ignition and fuel by modifying inputs to ECU.
• Short-throw shifter.
• Crankshaft and accessory pulleys.
• Engine mounts (non-metallic).

STX Rules

All modifications from the ST rules are allowed. In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
• Tires up to 245 width.
• Wheels up to 8.0" width.
• Brake rotors (diameter equal or larger than factory, ferrous or aluminum alloy).
• Brake calipers (original attachment point).
• Brake dust shield modifications to accomodate alternate rotors and calipers.
• Uppipe (can be catless).
• LSD may be added.
• Turbo-back exhaust. Must contain at least one (high-flow) cat placed not more than 6" after the original exit of the last factory cat.
• ECU reprogramming. Map must have unaltered factory boost maps.
• Piggyback, see ST. No changes to boost control are permitted.

STU Rules

All modifications from the STX rules are allowed. In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
• Wheels of any width (tire width still limited to 245 for AWD vehicles).

Street Prepared Rules (BSP, CSP, DSP, FSP)

All modifications from the STU rules are allowed, except for:
• Removal of factory emblems (debadging).
• Body kits (only front and rear spoiler allowed).
• Non-standard brake rotors and calipers.
• Front control arms and rear lateral links.

In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
• Some updating/backdating with parts from different model years, see rule book for details.
• Modification (e. g. rolling, cutting) of fenders for tire clearance. Adding of fender flares.
• Seat (fully upholstered seating surface).
• Remove seatbelt for replacement with harness that meets safety restrictions.
• Any steering wheel.
• Front spoiler.
• Rear spoiler.
• Removal of radio/stereo.
• Any DOT approved tires (see rules for restrictions), including R-compounds, of any size.
• Wheels of any size and offset.
• Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors (ferrous, standard size, no two-piece).
• Brake cylinder.
• Fuel injectors and pump.
• Intercooler (including hoses).
• Intake water injection.
• Turbo-back exhaust (no cats required).
• Clutch (metal).
• Flywheel (metal).
• Shifter and shift linkage, e. g. short throw shifter.
• Transmission mounts (non-metallic).
• Differentials.
• Standalone engine management for non-turbo car.
• Boost controls may be used, but hardware must be stock (Unichip).
• Port matching (see rule book).

Street Modified

Consult the rule book for details of the Street Modified rules. Street Modified inherits all allowances from Street Touring and Street Prepared. The following does not attempt to list all additional modifications that are legal in this class, it just lists a few popular mods that are common in Street Modified, but not allowed in Stock, Street Touring or Street Prepared:
• Certain replaced body parts: e. g. carbon fiber hood, fenders.
• Removed rear seats.
• Suspension control arms, lateral and trailing links.
• Metal bushings, subframe bushings.
• Different/updated turbo.
• Blow-off valve.
• Intercooler water spray (?).
• Any kind of boost control (MBC, EBC).
• Any other changes to boost control, like the popular resistor mod.
• Standalone engine management.
• Internal engine modifications.
• Engine transplant with different Mazda engine.
• Different/updated transmission.
• Steering rack.

Beyond Street Modified

Consult the rule book for Prepared and Modified categories. The following list is just a reminder of a few popular mods that are not allowed in Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared or Street Modified, they will put you into Prepared/Modified classes where you will be competing with race cars:
• Replaced body parts not allowed in SM
• Weight reduction not explicitly allowed in SM: e. g. gutted interior, removed heater, wipers, lights.
• Tires that are not DOT approved (racing slicks).
• Braces other than strut tower braces: triangulated braces (V-braces), lower arm braces.

Not Allowed In Any Class

The following are not allowed in any class:
• Nitrous (bottles not allowed on event sites for safety reasons).

Uncertain Mods

No clear rules are currently available for the following popular mods:
• Ground wire mod.

Common Questions
• Why is my XYZ mod illegal? I ran with it all year, and tech never said anything!
Tech inspection is only responsible for checking if your car is safe. Properly classing your car is your own responsibility. Unless somebody files a protest, nobody will check if you have illegal mods for your class. Even if nobody ever protests, many people think that running with illegal mods is unfair and shows a lack of respect for your fellow competitors.

Ok, so once you’ve done your research, and still don’t know the answer to a question let’s ask it here. This way, we can keep a running document so that others in the future can reference this. I may have left things out, and there probably are errors, so please let me know if you see anything and I will change it.

Again, if a modification is not explicitly authorized by the rules, IT IS NOT ALLOWED, no matter how trivial it seems. Now there are “creative” interpretations to some rules, but you should try and follow the “spirit” of the rule.

Thanks again to Reto.

If you drive a Mazda, you should sign up with Mazda Motorsports . You can get OE and aftermarket parts at a major discount, and I highly recommend you do so.

Additional Resources

Official rule book (available for download )
FasTrack (official SCCA publication containing latest rule changes )
Rules on Moutons.org (partly out-dated )
Solo II information on SCCA web site
SCCA Forums (message boards )

Last edited:
Very nice write-up... I wish was posted when I started racing autox.
(+ rep if I could)

Another good post, great for those getting into autocrossing. It sure beats looking through the giant PDF for all that information :D

apexlater said:
Uncertain Mods

No clear rules are currently available for the following popular mods:
Ground wire mod.

I would say the ground wire mod would fall into the stock class rules 13.2A and would be legal for all classes listed.

"Grounding kits specifically designed to support sound systems are permitted but may serve no other purpose."

Is it serving another purpose for the cars listed here?

apexlater said:
The possible classes for the 90-97 Miata are:
Stock: ES
Street Touring: STS2 (supplemental class)
Street Prepared: CSP
Street Modified: SM2

You might want to make a note about what miata's fall into STS2.
All 90-93 Miatas can run STS2 but from 94-97 only the Miatas without the Torsen differential can run STS2. (mostly base model cars or a few others see Miata Features Table (US '90-'97 models only) on miata.net for details on if your car has it.)

moxnix said:
I would say the ground wire mod would fall into the stock class rules 13.2A and would be legal for all classes listed.

"Grounding kits specifically designed to support sound systems are permitted but may serve no other purpose."

Is it serving another purpose for the cars listed here?

I was talking about the "performance" grounding kits that stay within the engine bay. There is debate about whether the additional grounding keeps the engine signal clearer.

moxnix said:
You might want to make a note about what miata's fall into STS2.
All 90-93 Miatas can run STS2 but from 94-97 only the Miatas without the Torsen differential can run STS2. (mostly base model cars or a few others see Miata Features Table (US '90-'97 models only) on miata.net for details on if your car has it.)

Since the STS rules state that only Viscous type LSDs are allowed I left it out. But you are correct.

apexlater said:
Since the STS rules state that only Viscous type LSDs are allowed I left it out. But you are correct.

I would change it to be STS/STS2 rules since currently they are using the same rules.

Looking at your short list that is not mentioned under the STS/STS2 rules.

From being on the miata.net boards I have seen a lot of confusion about the Torsen LSD issue with the 94-97 Miatas in STS2 so I was hoping that we could make it clear up front here.

apexlater said:
I was talking about the "performance" grounding kits that stay within the engine bay. There is debate about whether the additional grounding keeps the engine signal clearer.

I personally would put them all in the same category but I am a big non-believer in "performance" grounding kits actually making a difference that you would not see with the stock wireing. "I" would have no problem with somebody running one in a stock class against me.

Again, another great post, Wayne. This is a very well layed out reference for those that want to auto-x and are curious about where their car might be classed.

I hereby place a vote to add this as a sticky in the Motorsports forum.

so if you do a mod that's not listed under any class, where do you go?

ie: AWD or RWD conversion

Another question: If i put the stock MSP turbo setup on my Pro5, is that considered an update and I could run in DSP instead of SM?

no to the turbo, b/c the P5 and MSP are not listed on the same line in App. A. plus, the P5 never came with a turbo anyway, so the UD/BD would be questionable at best.

as far as mods like an RWD conversion, that would probably go waaay into Mod land. if you want to race custom carbon-fiber open-wheel cars, go for it. :)

Makes me wonder why I was put in SM? I didn't even have the boost controller on at the times.

dmitrik4 said:
no to the turbo, b/c the P5 and MSP are not listed on the same line in App. A. plus, the P5 never came with a turbo anyway, so the UD/BD would be questionable at best.
the reason i ask is because the 1.6 Miatas are now allowed to UD to the 1.8L. I'm wondering if i can UD from the FS-DE to the FS-DET. The Protege5 is categorized in the same group as the Protege sedan.

Rogue Pro5 said:
the reason i ask is because the 1.6 Miatas are now allowed to UD to the 1.8L. I'm wondering if i can UD from the FS-DE to the FS-DET. The Protege5 is categorized in the same group as the Protege sedan.

The MSP is in DSP, the P5 is in FSP. You can't "update" something from a different car in a different class.

I am completely making up numbers here but lets say the P5 weighs 2000 pounds and the MSP weighs 3000 you would have a big advantage by using the P5 body with the MSP engine.

All the miata's are listed on the same line in the same class so they can update/backdate all they want (that is also how they can get rid of the softtop)

Moxnix is exactly right.

The basic reason behind this classisfication is this:

The Mazdaspeed and P5 don't even share the same (complete) chassis designation. For that reason alone (as well as others), the update/backdate rule doesn't apply. The 'label' "Protege5" has never been [factory] produced as anything other than a 5-door N/A BJ-x chassis.

The update/backdate rule applies to the CSP Miata (as well other cars) because the chassis is largely unchanged among the first and second generation Miatas.

This doesn't even cover the factory power/handling ratings of the car and how they are separated into classes because of that. That is the largest factor when classifiying cars.

Last edited:
I don't believe you guys. you're telling me lies.

J/k. I guess it makes sense. I was wanting to turbo the car and not be thrown into SM. At least I wouldn't me in SM2 with the Z-06.

Back